• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

55 gallon saltwater

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Well, its not actually set up yet, i need to get the current fish out. This is the general plan:
1. filtration - fluval 306 canister, a protien skimmer
2. stocking - none (i actually mean this, i am going to care for some live rock so i can get the hang of it) (yes i know that there are organisms in live rock)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Good luck with your tank!

Matt

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
good luck

ArowanaLover

Ha ha, its been a while. Its set up now and doing good. Still no fish|inverts yet, but soon.

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
Now your in my other wheelhouse! What type of live rock? What type of inverts, species, fish, etc are you going to keep? I have like a million questions but don't want to come across crazy. I have a background in marine science and my first love was aquariums (well before birds) and have several setup including planted fresh and two completely different salt setups (one is reef and the other is coral) BTW, that filter is a very nice canister filter. I have 1 on a 29G planted and two on a 55G planted. I would not use it on a reef or most salt water setups. If your setting up a FOWLR it is OK but you will definitely need some other current in the tank and will need to properly load the baskets with the right media. If you want to pick my brain please do and you will be surprised what I tell you to fill that canister with...

ArowanaLover

We are ichthyologists, we are all crazy. My first love was also fish, ive been doing it for a long time. I have a lot of experience with freshwater. Fiji live rock, going to add some more though. It is a reef tank, I want some cleaner shrimp, an emerald crab, a pistol shrimp (with goby), a mated pair of clowns, corals, and some blennies. Of course there will be more, but thats my plan so far. Ive actually changed the filtration, its two powerheads, a multimedia reactor (with seagel), the fluval (with ultragrade carbon, filter sponge, and bioballs), and soon a medium turbo twist UV. That is the filtration that i was assured would work by my lfs, and the employee who told me really knows his stuff, he has always helped me with my aquariums.

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
We are ichthyologists, we are all crazy. My first love was also fish, ive been doing it for a long time. I have a lot of experience with freshwater. Fiji live rock, going to add some more though. It is a reef tank, I want some cleaner shrimp, an emerald crab, a pistol shrimp (with goby), a mated pair of clowns, corals, and some blennies. Of course there will be more, but thats my plan so far. Ive actually changed the filtration, its two powerheads, a multimedia reactor (with seagel), the fluval (with ultragrade carbon, filter sponge, and bioballs), and soon a medium turbo twist UV. That is the filtration that i was assured would work by my lfs, and the employee who told me really knows his stuff, he has always helped me with my aquariums.
Didn't know you were an Ichie! Small world ain't it?! Pretty cool having a Marine environment expert talking to a fish expert! That being said, as you know, what works in the wild doesn't always work in captivity and what works for freshwater aquariums doesn't always work for marine aquariums. I in no way want to disagree with your LFS source but I see what they are trying to accomplish and I would love to take this off forum to discuss a more sustainable way to accomplish what they are trying to do and still repurpose all of your equipment. PM me if interested.

ArowanaLover

Ohh im not an ichthyologist by degree, im going to study to be one when i go to college though.

ArowanaLover

I forgot to update, its been a while.
As soon as my cycling was over, i went and got 9 hermit crabs, 3 turbo snails, and an emerald crab. Just a few days ago i got a false percula clownfish, a scooter blenny, a zoanthid coral, and my favorite, a large arrow crab. its going great so far.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I tried seahorses for a while way back but my chemicals went bad and I think the tank crashed and everything but the crab and brine shrimp died:( I actually bought them mail order and the second pair actually did OK for quite a while and so did the baby but then the water went away I guess.
We had fresh water tanks that were fully established with long lived fish but salt always eluded me.
Of course this was in the late 70's early 80's and I bet the tech and knowledge of how to set them up have improved immensely since then. I have a 30 gallon put away just in case I ever get the fish bug again but still love to see other folks setups and things.

Kaliska

Strolling the yard
I had a 20gallon long nano with live rock, DSB, lots of invertebrates, and 1 goby fish. I'm getting started back in freshwater at our new house but I still dream of a predrilled 75g reef tank. That's serious $$$ though.

ArowanaLover

It is, coral prices are incredible. Thats why I only have one at the moment.

ArowanaLover

So its been a while since last update, sorry for that. Here is the updated stocking list.
1. Arrow crab (has grown significantly)
2. 4-5 Hermit crabs (i think arrow crab is responsible for some deaths)
3. 2 turbo snails
4. 1 scooter blenny
5. 1 false percula
6. 1 firefish goby (it was a great buy because it was only $15 {super underpriced} and by far the best specimen ive yet to see)
7. A skunk cleaner shrimp (hasn't actually cleaned anything yet, lazy bum)
8. 1 Emerald Crab (very reclusive)
9. 1 zoanthid coral
**All inverts are fed a homemade mixture, they freak out for it (its not the best for the water quality though) and grow super fast**
If you guys want any more info or any help with your saltwater tanks, feel free to PM me, i would love to help.

ArowanaLover

I'll have them soon (camera problems), but anyways, i just saw my cleaner shrimp finishing up his molting. He then proceeded to clean my hand, that's the first time that's happened to me, it was really cool.

ArowanaLover

Does anyone have any information regarding the keeping of anemones? I want one to add some color to the tank, the coraline algae is taking a while to cover the rockwork and its a bit drab.

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
Does anyone have any information regarding the keeping of anemones? I want one to add some color to the tank, the coraline algae is taking a while to cover the rockwork and its a bit drab.
Hello again! I am glad your system is doing well. As a long time reefer and someone that has a lot of background and a degree in marine science I ALWAYS cringe at the thought of someone adding an Anemone to their system (at least until I know them.) That being said, an Anemone can be one of the hardest species to keep alive and thrive in an Aquarium. Some Anemones live HUNDREDS of years in the wild and yet only last days/months or singular years in some reef aquariums. I would NEVER recommend ANY Anemones to someone as tank decorations, to add color or even as a home to clownfish until they do A LOT of research. Quite simply, the conditions for most Anemones has to be PERFECT. Perfect light, perfect water flow, perfect water chemistry, perfect feeding habits, etc. for them to thrive. That being said, if you have done that research, the BTA or Bubble Tipped Anemone is one of the best choices for an Anemone in the reef aquarium.

ArowanaLover

Thanks, I'll probably wait a year or two and get the tank in a much more stable condition, hopefully then I'll have added the planned sump and UV.

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
Thanks for thinking it through. You do not need UV for "most" reef tanks though and you may not need a "sump" depending on your setup. IF you would like we could take this private and i could give you my cell and we could discuss this easier on the phone...

ArowanaLover

If i have any problems i know who to PM, i really appreciate that. I'm glad i don't need the UV, but i actually happen to have one lying around (its a great size and i bought it for only $20 at a yard sale, which was awesome luck). The sump's main purpose is because i want to try to remove some of the intakes and outakes in the main tank. Also planning to get a 100g in the next few months, so i would probably want to add some more filtration in case that happens.