• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

55 gallon saltwater

apollosparents

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael & Shana
If i have any problems i know who to PM, i really appreciate that. I'm glad i don't need the UV, but i actually happen to have one lying around (its a great size and i bought it for only $20 at a yard sale, which was awesome luck). The sump's main purpose is because i want to try to remove some of the intakes and outakes in the main tank. Also planning to get a 100g in the next few months, so i would probably want to add some more filtration in case that happens.
Then use the sump for that reason and the fact it adds water mass to your system. plumb in the UV but do not use it unless you have MAJOR problems with crypt or other parasites/disease. It will kill off all the flora/fauna in the water column. I actually use UV in one of my reef systems but it is in a very specialized setup and the UV is designed around the water flow, sump, refugium and species in the tank. I am ALWAYS available to you or anyone with reef, aquarium, etc. questions.

ArowanaLover

Sprinting down the street
Thanks, I might not use the UV at all then, i was thinking about making a 30 gallon fish only saltwater tank, ill use it there instead.

ArowanaLover

Stocking update:
- Addition of 3 peppermint shrimp
- Addition of 2 tube worms
- A small clump of macroalgae which i wedged in some rocks.
- Sadly, the rockskipper blenny stopped eating and died

Everyone is getting along great and eating well. The clownfish was having some swimming problems but seems to have recovered now. The peppermint shrimp are really cool and like to stay in one spot until feeding. The feather worms are doing great, though they get startled when the lights go off or on. The scarlet cleaner shrimp has really improved also, he roams the tank freely and attacks my hand when its feeding time. The arrow crab has been doing a great job or eating everything bad (When i put the feather dusters in the tank there was some type of small green worm on them, i didnt see it, but the arrow crab devoured it). The firefish hides for most of the day sadly, he is by far the best looking fish.

ArowanaLover

Tank taken apart and parts used for upcoming tank. (hopefully) I'll be posting pics sometime around mid February (which is when i plan to go get my mystery fishes)