• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

10 weeks old B&G macaw refuse to eat AGIAN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Since i've got many suggestions and i fellow that so, offer formula first, mashed fruits, mashed potato, some soften pellets, use spoon to feed him. a week later, He returned to refuse again and this time i call ignoring. i offer a spoon of formula. He will ignore that spoon when he knows that is formula. i try so hard to treat him with this method but it does not work for me now. Then i offer him some mash. He normally eats them and soaked water pellet also but just a few. i am afraid that he will not get nutrient enough. Now he is not able to fly. He's just about 10 weeks old. i am so worried.

Every suggestions are important to me. Please give me any idea how to deal with it. Thank you so much......

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Good Morning, you should get many suggestions here.

Does he crop empty? Any smell to his breath? What do poops look like, check odor? Is he drinking water, the lack of water will make them lethargic. Are you weighing him every day and recording his weight, very important? Has he lost weight? Is he taking any medication? Are his eye nice and bright? Is he active every day? I know these questions may have been asked before but we need to know to try and help.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chris are you feeding him the same formula the breeder was feeding him?

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
i don't mind to answer all of these question many time. i know you really want to help me.Thank you so much.
His crop perfectly empty.He is active every single day as usual. He never drinks water himself(i place a bowl of water for him but he never touch it) but i give myself about 20 cc. each meal. And of cause, the weight is lost. 100 g he lost after he gained 150 g. a week before. he is now taking medication.(he cough) Giving medicine is fellow by Vet commend. reading your post above, i am wondering that he possibly will lack of water. how can i know that if my baby lack of water?:p

the same formula as breeder fed him.
i got this baby since he was 6 weeks old.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chris what medication are you giving him? Sometimes medication can cause lack of appetite but that is a big weight loss. If he is eating formula there is alot of water in that but if he isnt eating his formula than he may be dehydrated. Do you have an avian vet you could take him to to be examined?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please do not over react to the hydration information. Look at the birds poop is it dry or very thin and stringy? Is there urine with each poop? Only put the water or electrolyte mixture in their beak or hand feeding formula Do not squirt down the throat.

gary

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
i am really sorry what kind of medicine are. there are sterilization and prevent coughing( do you understand? i have no idea what it is called). But 2 of them are given by avian vet. My Vet suggest me that give formula just he can eat.Then waiting for crop empty, giving him again but i does not work he does not eat.
just want you to know that avian Vet here(Thailand), there are a few people on this. they know hoe to deal or heal any infections but they have no experience to grow bird as macaws. i did not blame the vet here and i am sorry for mentioning like that.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please find out the name of the medications and maybe I can give you some insight.

gary

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
poop is stringy as usual and came out with water. there are 3 parts. also i give him some pellets which is soaked into water to make make soften before feed. is that enough?

Last edited:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Chris if you could find out the name of the medication that would really be helpful. Correct me someone if I am wrong but I dont think birds cough? Chris can you describe what your bird was doing when you say "coughing"? Also when you try to feed him formula do you know how warm the formula is? The medication could be key as to why he is not eating.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Sound like the poop may be fine. Take a picture if you can. What one person call stringy another thinks slimy.

gary

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Chris, is the name of the medicine on the bottle? Can you call your vet and ask him what he gave you?

Ginger

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
now it is 2am in morning. i am afraid that i can not call to vet,,,sorry.
he separated it into a small bottle.
But he eats pellet which is soaked into water.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Please get the name of the medication tomorrow and the dosage in mg (milligrams). What is the medication for?

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I have many macaws and know what medications should be used for various problems. So the information from the vet is very important. Please keep trying to give your birds the hand feeding formula with the spoon. Feed at 100-105 degrees, check with thermometer. Offer other various foods and grains but keep sugar to a minimum. Keep your bird warm, (29c) and hydrated.

Please keep us posted.

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
healing infection in sinus and air sac. another is for stopping sneezing.
now he is begging me for food. i will try to give me formula again. any advices before i do that?:dancing:
i have tried to give formula with peanut butter. he ate just a few spoon. them stopped.....

Attachments

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Poops look small to me in the photo, due to the bird needing to eat more, looks like he is digesting his food though. Offer water to him all the time, be careful on how you give it to him. The best way is to put it in his bottom beak and he will take it from there.

gary

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Maybe you can get a picture of the poop on a paper that does not absorb the water (urine), need to see the color of the urine.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.