• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

10 weeks old B&G macaw refuse to eat AGIAN!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Why is your baby up at 2 a.m.? For a feeding?

Ginger

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
10pm. i offered him formula which he ignored then offer mashed fruit and potato, egg, and soften pellets.
just now he ate 2 spoons then again ignore. Do i offer mashed fruit and potato, egg, and soften pellets again.
i will take picture asap i can.

Last edited:

PerfectlyParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
When you say 2 spoons Chris, exactly what size of spoon are you using? Can you send a picture of that also. It would give a better idea of just how much he is eating.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Chris,Your problem could be as simple as the formula not being warm enough/cool enough/thick enough/thin enough.I'm serious-I have hand fed MANY different birds(all different kinds)and every once in awhile I would get one that I would have to alter the formula for at each feeding:( The most common problem is that it is not warm enough.Try warmer(no more then 105 degrees) or a bit thicker-or thinner-Just keep trying and see if He does Not respond and eat better!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Hey Chris!!
Wow is your hand raising experience sounding a LOT like mine! Through out the entire weaning process Summer was very in and out with her feeding. She was always varying how much formula she took and how much food she ate. Something that I did then and I still do now, is that I took some warm soft food (her favorites were squash, sweet potato and pumpkin) and hand feed her that in chunks. I'd take pieces, mash them a little bit in my fingers and put them in her mouth. Sometimes I'd get the feeding response... but she loved to take them that way. I still gave her pellets soaked in water, but I'd also heat them up! She loved that!
I believe that's about the time she wanted her formula a bit thicker and a bit warmer. We went from 105 degrees to 107 degrees and that helped a little bit. Sometimes I'd add a little bit of organic peanut butter or baby brown rice cereal. Sometimes I'd add pureed veggies into the formula.
Something I found out at about this age was that my Summer did NOT like to eat the same thing over and over (she's a little bit spoiled.. hahaha).

Summer started flying pretty early... is Happy flapping her wings a lot and trying to fly?
Summer was airborne at about 3 months (maybe a bit after...) so that could be another contributing factor. Baby birds need to trim down a bit to get off the ground for the first time. I can't imagine learning to fly!!
She was also becoming a very active bird, if Happy is being more active that can attribute to the weight loss too.

I'm just basing this on my very recent Blue and Gold weaning experience. But to me, it sounds like Happy and Summer could be sisters just going off of their baby-hood days :)

You're doing a great job. I know this process is hard. I can't even BEGIN to tell you how many times I sat here wanting to cry because I felt that I was ruining my baby birds life because I must be doing SOMETHING wrong!! But now I look at the goofy birds who eats pretty much everything I put in front of her and life is a million times better and those troublesome baby days are in the back of my mind..

Good Luck my friend...

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Last night My keyboard was broken down because i was angry. Then i threw it away. i am kidding. it was broken down by no reason.

OK. let's start over again.
Happy's information
Today i asked my Vet already about medicines. There are "ma pho fox ca sin" and "tom hak sin" (i am sorry i don't know how to spell them. i hope you can understand these medidices).
this morning i offered him a table spoon to play first. then i add formula on the spoon. he could eat 20 cc. later on, i gave he some mashed potato, carrot, oatmeal, pomprin, an egg. he also just ate some of them. i decided feed him by my hand. he liked it but just several times.then he ignored it. i left mashed thing for about an hour. i gave him pellet soaked in water. he ate a lot about 10 g of that.

Anyway my Vet told me that on this saturday, he will examine the body of Happy, seeing how many he has muscle and fat. But it is hard to wait until satuday:confused: with this situation.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Last night My keyboard was broken down because i was angry. Then i threw it away. i am kidding. it was broken down by no reason.
:rofl::hehe::rofl: Hope Happy is already much better by Saturday!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Chris, I hope Happy will do ok and be strong and healthy. Is there any way you could get a digital scale and weigh him every day to keep track of his weight?

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
i weigh him every morning. that makes me wonder his weight is lost....

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Ahh, I understand. I wonder if you were to use a large syringe instead of a spoon, if he would take his formula easier? My Holly will 'taste' off of a spoon, but that is all...then she turns her head. She wants the syringe.

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
i have used syringe before. He ignores any kinds of syringe. then i use spoon,he eats better but not perfect.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are the medications "enrofloxicin" and "amikacin"? Both are widely used antibiotics for infections.
ML

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
it is not enrofloxicin but something stronger than that ,called mafoflocixin. Amikacin is Yes.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi could the other be Ciprofloxacin? It would be nice to know the actual dosage of medications you are giving, they can affect appetite. You are doing a great job Chris.

gary

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
yes,it is. About Ciprofloxacin, i give 1.25 cc. it is mixed by vitamin to make it sweet, Giving once a day(yellow). And Amikacin, give 2.5 cc twice a day(light). he always spit out after he took. Seem like he does not like it. i don't how to deal with it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Ciprofloxacin is VERY bitter and even the flavors used to make the bird like it don't completely cover the bitterness. Amikacin has little to no taste. I advise people to take a little tase of any medications they are giving their bird so they will know what they are trying to get the bird to take.

Ciprofloxacin will sometimes cause a bird to regurgitate. One way to help avoid this is to make sure you give the bird food first, dilute the medication with water or juice and give it to them slowly. Even that will sometimes not work. My Greenwing macaw is very sensitive to any of the floxacins and he has to be given them by intramuscular injection. Even then he will regurgitate, but at least he gets the medication.
ML

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have two chronically ill Greenwings and have had to be very inventive at times to get their meds down them. I have never given amikacin orally, only by injection or by nebulization. Therefore, I don't know if there are reactions to it when given orally.

Ciprofloxacin can very definately affect appetite. Try to give your bird it's big feeding about 1 1/2 hour before giving Ciprofloxacin. That worked for awhile for my Hank who is sensitive to it.

ML

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Also, I think you are doing a great job. It's important to stay calm for yourself and for your baby. You have to think calmly and well to care for Happy. We will be with you to help you through this. Just keep asking questions. Remember there are no stupid questions.

ML

boat2530

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
chris
Nebulization, he have done for the first time. My vet wanted to see "if taking medicine work,he will not come to the vet everyday" and it works without doing nebulization. So i have got to face with these 2 kinds of medication.
Thank you for every thing you all have done for me. So appreciate,,,:hug8:

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary

Ciprofloxacin can very definately affect appetite. Try to give your bird it's big feeding about 1 1/2 hour before giving Ciprofloxacin. That worked for awhile for my Hank who is sensitive to it.

ML
Thanks Mary Lynn, you are correct about the bitter taste and how it affects appetite, Cipro should be taken after food.

Chris, if your vet feels your bird still needs an antibiotic ask about "Clavamox", it is a broad spectrum antibiotic for birds. Since you bird is on two antibiotics you need to keep a close eye to make sure your bird does not get a yeast infection. Have you been giving your bird a probiotic? Probiotics promote the growth of beneficial bacteria that the antibiotics kill off.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.