• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a wild disabled baby parrot under a bridge!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Nemo is young enough that he'll probably adapt and accept most new foods pretty quickly. My avatar, Kiwi (RIP), loved mashed banana which ended up being her first word. She was probably a little over 8 weeks when my hubby gave her to me as a (very unexpected) Xmas present.

Nemo looks adorable and very, very birdnappable. :heart: :heart:

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Nemo was vet checked this morning. He is in good health, I was told what I have been doing so far is "perfect" and like you guys she recommended offering soft cooked vegetables and also chopped fruits, sprouts etc which I've put done. They think the leg is nerve damage however, that he was likely bitten there as well when very young and may never have much functionality in it. It's mostly just dragging, only grips slightly if you wrap the toes around your finger. His wing is lopped off about 1/3 of the way up the radius and ulna but the wound is fully healed over with soft tissue, she doesn't expect he will have any issues with such an early amputation as it likely occurred before the bones even hardened. Because of his reduced mobility, she recommended I never clip his intact wing, which I would not do anyway, as he will be so reliant on it for balance. She also said parrots adapt very easily to disability at this age and better than most species because they use their beaks as an extra limb to climb, and didn't think he'd have any issues with quality of life once he figured out how to hop and climb around. He won't know any other life.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Nemo was vet checked this morning. He is in good health, I was told what I have been doing so far is "perfect" and like you guys she recommended offering soft cooked vegetables and also chopped fruits, sprouts etc which I've put done. They think the leg is nerve damage however, that he was likely bitten there as well when very young and may never have much functionality in it. It's mostly just dragging, only grips slightly if you wrap the toes around your finger. His wing is lopped off about 1/3 of the way up the radius and ulna but the wound is fully healed over with soft tissue, she doesn't expect he will have any issues with such an early amputation as it likely occurred before the bones even hardened. Because of his reduced mobility, she recommended I never clip his intact wing, which I would not do anyway, as he will be so reliant on it for balance. She also said parrots adapt very easily to disability at this age and better than most species because they use their beaks as an extra limb to climb, and didn't think he'd have any issues with quality of life once he figured out how to hop and climb around. He won't know any other life.
It's usually us human parronts who think of a fid as being handicapped, however, the handicapped fids in our flocks never got that memo. As far as they are concerned they are perfectly normal and function just like any other birdy.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He's adorable! So kind of you to help him.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Enjoyed seeing the little fellow, he is just beautiful, looks like he is settling into his new home just fine!!

Birdlover42

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Alicia
Wow! Amazing story. He is precious and lucky to have found you. Bless you for taking him in!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for rescuing Nemo. He is very cute. Great that you took him to the vet although sad about the leg and the wing but he will adapt and seems like he will do just fine under your care.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh my gosh! That's such a beautiful Quaker! I know the babies usually have more green on the forehead, when young, that fades to grey. But that has got to he the greenest Quaker I've ever seen in my life!

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
He’s such a sweetheart, and so are you :heart:
This was absolutely meant to be, I got chills when you said you just had a “feeling” to take another look when you were at the bridge!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

I had to wash him off after a messy feeding so we went out in the sun to dry off after. He has absolutely no flight capability and I held him on my lap.
You'd better watch that look - Nemo's already plotting ... :angel4:

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
Such a heartwarming story, he is just beautiful!,! Lucky fellow

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
He found the right person to rescue him and he sure looks happy in your care:xflove: His parents must have been caring for him to fully heal and still be around all this time. Without the protection of his flock on the ground like that he wouldn't be with us much longer. I think you have a new loving flock mate to share your life with. :)

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for taking such good care of him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Bird is doing very well now. I don't have baby bird formula at the moment and was offering soaked Roudybush. But it was a big messy and too dry. I have now blended a more watery formula with Roudybush pellets, a little fruit, kale and some walnuts and heated it to body temperature (I've hand raised baby canaries several times successfully just nothing this big - he's actually easier) and though he didn't beg, once I got it into his beak and slowly dripped it out he ate a very good amount until his crop was well filled and now he is napping on my chest.

I have a vet in Indiana who does both exotics and dogs/cats and he sees all kinds of parrots so we will be going through them. I appreciate all the advice!

Quakers are legal to keep and to breed in Indiana where I live.

I think he's about 6 weeks. There are still unopened pinfeathers on his back and under his wings but he is mostly developed. I think he fledged and just couldn't fly as he is missing most of the left wing. The right wing is normal.

He's not around my other birds.

Could you post a photo of Nemo showing his other wing?