• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a wild disabled baby parrot under a bridge!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
It's sad to see but Nemo looks like he's adjusted pretty well. You have his "short" wing extended and he doesn't seem to be putting up much a a fuss.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He is very tolerant of pretty much anything now.
Nemo's used to you and feels safe in your hands. There is no bigger compliment from a "wild bird" to a human than that. Nemo knows he's safe and is loved (yes I'm getting sappy) but above all he knows he is safe.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Feeding him is very slow because he doesn't beg so I have to hold him still and carefully drip it down behind his tongue and watch as he swallows before I do another, with frequent breaks because he struggles if restrained that way too long. It takes 30 minutes or more to fill his crop up, but he does eat, and we do this three times a day. In between he nibbles pellets and millet but wont try anything else yet.

I don't think he's going to start begging which would make feeding so much faster. So right now its not quite crop feeding but its a slow tedious process.

But he's really loving.

0825191342a.jpg 0825190017a.jpg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Nemo! You are so cute. Darling little baby face.

What a wonderful story. Thank you for giving Nemo a home and getting him proper care. What a lucky little guy :xflove:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:hug8:

Serin

I've upped feedings to five or six per day, because Nemo is still behaving like a nestling due to his issues, not really self feeding, and lost a little weight on just 3 feeds. He's doing well on more feeds and is more vocal and playful.

I was also reading through older forum posts that recommended not raising baby parrots singly if it can be helped. I decided that it was important for Nemo to have some socialization with other parrots to learn from example how to self feed, and just for constant company and to avoid him becoming too dependent on me. Lacking a second Quaker parrot and certainly unable to afford the price tag of a captive bred chick I picked up the budget alternative... a young budgie as a companion. Being a baby he's not any danger to the slightly older parakeet and he has responded very well to his presence in the brooder cage, preening and being preened and being more interested in trying solid food. He also begs the parakeet for food, allowing me to sneak in with the syringe and feed him more easily.

Though they will have to be watched as the parrot grows stronger the budgie is now fulfilling an important role in ensuring Nemo learns how to be a bird and does not become too dependent. I strongly believe in not keeping single birds unless absolutely necessary.

0826191331.jpg

0825191949.jpg

Last edited:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Be careful but both are young and will probably bond and be best buds. Hopefully it'll be good for both of them as long as they continue to get along and play well together. If it doesn't they can live separately and have supervised and separate out time but will talk and entertain each other and like you said learn from each other.

Serin

Be careful but both are young and will probably bond and be best buds. Hopefully it'll be good for both of them as long as they continue to get along and play well together. If it doesn't they can live separately and have supervised and separate out time but will talk and entertain each other and like you said learn from each other.
If as Nemo grows I feel this is no longer in their best interest we have a large flight cage with a flock of budgies he can be accommodated in. The budgies' well being is of no less importance.

Barbara2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
You are just one good “Mama” bird So happy He/she is doing so well.

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
Aww, Nemo's adorable! Thank you for caring for him! :hug8:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award