• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Found a wild disabled baby parrot under a bridge!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
They’re so sweet!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
66 grams today. Almost back to the 71 he was when found.
Oh, he looked much bigger in the pic. I guess I'm not used to seeing a Quaker right next to a budgie:hilarious:. It will be interesting to see his weight once he's all grown. Thank you for replying!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
0828190007a.jpg

Amazingly he is starting to not just walk but climb and perch with only one wing and one working leg. I've moved them to a new much bigger 50 gallon tub with a wire top. My gerbils live in it usually but are bunking elsewhere for the time being.

0827192346.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A beautiful name for a beautiful bird :)

Amazingly he is starting to not just walk but climb and perch with only one wing and one working leg.
It is always surprising how well birds can adapt to live with their disabilities, especially when they are young. In their minds, they are not special needs :)

Serin

How do I get him to begin eat on his own?

He still doesn't accept formula willingly. He does swallow it down if I can get the syringe into his mouth but he's been accepting less and less each feeding and now is only allowing me to give him about a quarter of what I had been per feeding. He's getting stronger and it's getting a lot harder to open his beak to force it. This would all be all well and good except that he's not eating anything else. He won't eat solids unless I hold them up to his beak, and even then he really is only mouthing and dropping them. He doesn't seem to be copying the parakeet when he eats. He is playful and has found his voice but his weight is decreasing again. He had started begging the budgie for food letting me stick a syringe in there and feed him well but he is no longer doing that.

I have the cage floor lined with fleece now and over that paper towels that I scatter mashed banana, sprouts, wet pellets, broccoli florets and other treats and he just totally avoids even walking over the food. The budgie is a seed junkie and won't eat anything else yet either.

Last edited:

Serin

Still doesn't feed himself but he's gotten better about formula the past few feeds. The parakeet and him have become best buddies. They're always playing and preening. Nemo is now regaining some use of his bad foot and can use it like a crutch to walk and can even pull himself up with it. He graduated to a bird cage.

0901191440.jpg

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to read he's improving. Have you taken him to the vet yet? I'm wondering if there's some unseen reason that he's not eating anything on his own.

Serin

So glad to read he's improving. Have you taken him to the vet yet? I'm wondering if there's some unseen reason that he's not eating anything on his own.
Yes right after finding him. He was given a good bill of health. I think he is developmentally delayed to his disabilities - he's about 7 weeks but acts more like 5 weeks.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He will hopefully learn from his Budgie freind, can you get him on the floor, on a towel, sprinkle food around and play with it with your fingers and pretend to eat it,,yummy yummy, this is good, yummy yummy, he should be interested and try it...invite your/ his Budgie freind in on the fun...good luck, keep us posted, your doing amazing!:hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is a wonderful idea. Birds do learn from watching other birds.

Serin

He will hopefully learn from his Budgie freind, can you get him on the floor, on a towel, sprinkle food around and play with it with your fingers and pretend to eat it,,yummy yummy, this is good, yummy yummy, he should be interested and try it...invite your/ his Budgie freind in on the fun...good luck, keep us posted, your doing amazing!:hug8:
Have been doing just that. He will not eat off the floor or from a bowl under any circumstance. Completely ignores it. He will only nibble solids out of my hand. But even then, doesn't seem to swallow much.

Serin

He's started trying to talk today, babbling and copying the sound of words without saying words if that makes sense.
Has finally started to beg for formula and eating very well, putting on weight.
Not trying solids though.

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I think it’s good you’re letting him take on eating at his own pace, he’s a lucky little guy!

Sherry S

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sherry M Surrency
Quakers are amazing parrots. I miss my precious Emmy every single day. I commend you on caring enough to take care of a wild quaker. Best of wishes and love on your new precious gem for me, too. :heart::heart::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that he is doing so well. Once again, thank you for giving him a wonderful home!