• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Did i rescue the perfect Amazon??

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Yes! Its been a while but i have been fairly busy! :) the scritching thing seems Permanent, whenever i enter the room she wants them. And hensoketimes comes out to sit with me, never on my hand, but she does step up on my forearm! Shes becomming more and more a true parrot, with very vocal times :) i like that! today we visited my parents, she has a basket she happily sits in, so we went ahead and enjoy some sun, its probably some of the last sunny days so we took the most out of it :) she now sits on the table making parrot noises! We're a long road ahead still, but im very pleased sith the progress we made! The key was doing things on Luka's therms, i learned that now :)

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks for the update! It's a good one. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yay!!

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update Jan, and I miss you but understand that you have a lot of other things to do too.
So don't forget us, give us an update every Sunday, so we now everything's fine. :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
SOOOO... another episode i wish to share!!

As i said earlier, Luka now starts to act like a parrot every now and then :) we had the ocasional "AXK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK" screams when she seems afraid i leave her alone (dont ask, she only does it when i go to the toilet) but now she also does a chicken like "tok tok tok tok" very softly.. need i worry???

I tried making her step up on a stick, but instead she flew straight for my shoulder.. well at least i now know the stick seems scarier then me :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
SOOOO... another episode i wish to share!!

As i said earlier, Luka now starts to act like a parrot every now and then :) we had the ocasional "AXK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK ACK" screams when she seems afraid i leave her alone (dont ask, she only does it when i go to the toilet) but now she also does a chicken like "tok tok tok tok" very softly.. need i worry???

I tried making her step up on a stick, but instead she flew straight for my shoulder.. well at least i now know the stick seems scarier then me :)
Squat down in front of the cage and ask where are you Luka? Keep that up. The birds crawl down to the bottom of the cage because they're curious....(we ARE goofy)....when the bird hits the bottom of the cage, you open door and offer the stick which is ABOVE the floor of the cage(they always want to step up).

My birds aren't flighted though, so maybe there is a difference

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
We do many things together.. she's starting to enjoy singing, especially when i have the vacuum cleaner on! Then she'll go eye pinning, tail fanning, waving her beak through the waterbowl, all out crazyness!!

Its the "tok tok tok" sounds i not sure of.. those are new!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Its the "tok tok tok" sounds i not sure of.. those are new!
Is it a hormonal honking or like the click of a tongue sound?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I think ill have to try and record it, i cant find it on youtube :( its nothing loud, definatly not something that fits "hormonal honking" and she isnt pinning or fanning either, for all i know its perfectly normal :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Oh hmm.. clicking with my own tongue... yeah its more that kinda sound :) onky more chicken'ish.. oh gosh i look like an idiot! :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Oh hmm.. clicking with my own tongue... yeah its more that kinda sound :) onky more chicken'ish.. oh gosh i look like an idiot! :)
That reminds me of Eloys clicking sound. He does that when he is happy and calm and feeling good so no need to worry. :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Lurch used to do similar but with him it was a happy excited, or mad excited thing so just learn to read her just in case. I think Dobby does it mostly when he's just excited and happy though so at least here for me it varies.

HarlowMitsouko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Harlow
I just finished reading your thread, and I really enjoyed it. Luka is so beautiful. And I don't think their isn't such a thing as a perfect Amazon. I may be a bit biased because my family has a lot history with Amazons. My Grandmother had an Orange wing Amazon for about 50 years. I have a lot of memories of little Hans. He could mimic her Norwegian very, very well. Seeing Luka vividly reminds me of him. My mother also had a tres marinas Amazon for most of her adulthood and all of my childhood as well. So I guess a deep love and respect for parrots have been passed down to me :yes4:

Thank you @SmokeyJoe69 for the comparison picture! Luka seems to be a bit flatter in colour, there's also this later of "dust" over him.. Its not actuslly dust since i cant shower it off, i suppose with a new diet he wil come to his full shine and color :)

As for alk the advise, i am so gratefull you all care to help! It strengthens me in my quest! Luka's been with me little over a week now, and since yesterday he also steps up! The only problem is.. He doesnt know a step down command.. Once he's on my shoulder, he's very content making soft sounds and whistles :) I think he was in a "good" home with regards to his social life, he doesnt seem scared or abused, he just seems a bit neglected! Hes in my livingroom, and i only heard him scream this morning after i went into the kitchen for a drink and then went to bed! He seems to think he's getting all the attention, well thibk again!! Daddy's gotta have his beautysleep mister!! :)

All in al, im not unhappy, though a bit insecure still! I think its Luka who needs to slow down! He tried to give me kisses, making the same sounds, but obviously i wouldnt have any of that! That beak is just.. TOO HUGE still!
I just thought I would mention although luka appears in not as good feather to you as smokeyjoes owa, OWA's actually have a dusty cast over their feather. I believe the same is true of mealy Amazons as well.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
So no worries needed, thanks all for the new insights :)
We are now with my parents, Luka enjoys going there because he always gets the nice stuff, hmmmmz i see how grandparrents would spoil their grandchildren.. Luka now eats everything, although sometimes it takes a while before she tries something new, but im allready happy with the fact that its no longer just sunflower seeds! Next goal is training with a perch, but we'll settle for a single goal per year :)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
A day full of suprises!
I have to admit i leglected Luka a bit this week, not feeling guilty because in general shes okay with that :) so today i mentioned "grandma" and Luka started to climb towards the door! A bit amazed (generally she doesnt like to be taken out of the cage) i opened the basket and she gently hopped in! Now, even more amazed i walked to my parents and Luka started to flash eyes and tail, making some funny noise doing it :D she climbed out of the basket, hopped into the kitchen where she got some nommies from my mom :) its true what they say.. grandma always spoils the grandchildren.. thankfully my parents are equally disturbed as me so they have no problems calling themselves grandpa and grandma.. (im gay, single, and most likely never will adopt children so this is the next best thing i guess) but when she came out of the kitchen, instead of comming to me she went to my dad!!! Im not sure if i should be offended here but okay.. I think Luka liked the attention, though eventually she came back to me, bowing her head for half an hour untill i got tired of scritching hehehe.

Now she's back in her cage, content and softly "purring" on her favorite spot :)

I hope we'll see this behavior more often, i havent seen my parents have so much fun since they retired!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Okay so.. over the past 2 months, i noticed Luka barely moving from her perch, she also wouldnt step up anymore, and in general, acting really scared :(

So after this weekend, i moved her back in her old (smaller) cage, but she does seem to like that! i think she missed the livingroom, and since i couldnt get her out of the big cage, she hasnt been hanging arround with me as much as i would like to :( (everytime i opened the door she would go screaming as though she was beeing killed, not a pleasant thing to live with) but now that i moved her back, she will happily climb on top of the cage on the perch, and then step up on my arms.. Not sure what i did wrong (i mean.. i thought the bigger a cage the better) but at the very least we can now do the cuddle and scritching thing again :)

All in all, im pleased with our first year together, although it seems we both still have lots to learn :) with the big cage now empty, i might consider getting a young OWA for Luka to befriend, or maybe a grey? would it make a difference to a parrot? (like, a parrot is a parrot, or dont they speak the same language?) choices, choices, choices! with my two little dragons i had the pleasant suprise that they hit off right from the start, so i'll have to do some reading first, and i might even decide not to get another one, i'm just not sure yet :)

At least im glad we can spend time together again, in the livingroom, where all the living is done :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Maybe move the big cage close to her favorite and she may start to investigate it and hang out on it rather then feel like you sold her happy home and moved her into a warehouse. My birds were thrilled when I got the bigger cage and it really helped with their cage aggression and changing out food and water dishes as it had the swing out feeder door and blockers so they couldn't toss the bowls.
Some birds just have rules that must be obeyed and sounds like she liked her little house. Nerd bird lived in a old school 19x19 and about 23 tall cage his whole life but it was his home and he loved it. Of course as soon as somebody got home he was free ranging so he mostly slept in it and waited for us to get home from work. He seemed very happy with his lot in life and loved me, I don't know what he would have done with a bigger cage.
When Lurch got the new upgrade he loved it, but he still liked going over to the small cage he had known since he got here to hang out from time to time, home is home I guess and the little cage became his vacation place.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Great update Jan! :)
And I agree with Terry that place the cages together, or near each other.

And if you are planning to get a new bird for Luka, get a same/similar Amazon and the same age. They do talk the same languish if they are the same species.
And if you are planning to get a new bird for yourself, get a Pionus! ♥ :D