• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zupreem Fruitblend - Do yours eat certain colours first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
The Breeder I got my RLA from weaned him onto that stuff. He would not eat the orange or purple. The rest he would. He no longer eats that, I got him off of it almost a year ago when my Mealy came home eating the Hagan Tropican pellets instead.

Colors are not healthy for parrots. Per my old FL Avian Vet Dr. Harrison (the Harrison pellets guy) he told me they were bad, their livers cannot filter out the colors.

Dr. Greg Burkett my current Avian in NC also told me a year ago to get him off of it. And he finally stopped eating it when I no longer gave it to him.

Roudybush, Harrrisons, Hagan, Zupreem natural, Tops etc. there are alternatives to colored foods.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Our 'tiels and quakers and parrotlet is on zupreem fruit blend and high potency coarse harrisons. I deciding recently to put them on BUDGIE SIZE fruit blend, because no one likes the banana shapes. So now that they ar eon budgie size, they eat every little bit, and now they dont care if they are eating a harrisons vs a zupreem, its the same size pellet. lol.

Cydney

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cydney
Kai is weird about size. I have to buy the Macaw sized pellets for him. He only eats the ones he can easily hold in his foot and dunk. lol The little ones go untouched.

Colors are not healthy for parrots. Per my old FL Avian Vet Dr. Harrison (the Harrison pellets guy) he told me they were bad, their livers cannot filter out the colors.
We switched my family's caique off Zupreem onto Harrisons as i feel Harrisons is a much better alternative without the dye. I haven't switched Kai because he really eats no more than 5-10% pellets. He likes the Zupreem so I'm okay with that.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Mine won't eat the purple ones! LOL. So I tell them they have to eat the purple ones before they get any more! Tia likes the red and orange ones.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Kai seems to pick a 'color of the week'. Sometimes he eats all the green ones, sometimes the purple, etc. etc.. lol
Mine have been like that lately too. First time I gave them to Tia she ONLY ate the red ones... Then a few days later she ONLY ate the orange ones. Crazy birds :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.