• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zupreem Fruit Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Carolyn, the feeding of parrots is a big, hotly debated subject. Our parrots are usually from countries with tropical weather and therefore we cannot really make up a diet in fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, etc. they would see in the wild. What most people do is what I do; take all the best information from scientists working in the wild with the types of parrots I have and try to match what I have to what the birds eat in the wild. I use a really good pellet to give the birds their basic complete and balanced food with vitamins, minerals and amino acids inside the food; each bite of pellet is supposed to give a complete and balanced mix for them. Then I give them the seeds that almost all birds subsist on for the less abundant times of the years (seeds, nuts, dried fruit), add in grains (wheat, rice, quinona, barley, corn) and top it off with fresh fruits and veggies for really fresh vitamins and minerals. In this way, I am trying to provide my birds with good nutrition to take them into their old age and maximize the amount of time they spend with me in the future. You well know there is nothing as painful as losing someone or some pet you love.

That is the way I do it. But other people do something quite different. One type of bird parront goes as natural and fresh as one can go, importing some of the food stuff, giving only the best organic and fresh fruits and veggies and nuts according to the species of bird they keep, etc. Some people make up a chop of fresh stuff, some a glop of fresh stuff and frozen or canned. It all depends on who you believe when it comes to recommendations for feeding pet parrots. As you get more experience in keeping your parrots, you will begin to make decisions about what you read and learn and will eventually decide on your own what to use for your birds. There are so basic rules and one of them is to never be drastic in changing your bird's diet; always do small changes at a time so they adjust: some birds will starve themselves into malnutrition due to food changes. Another is to consider how birds eat in the wild; small amounts foraged at two or three times a day and rest period in between foraging. There is no full bowl in the wild; they have to go find it: and if it is plentiful at one time of the year it is probably scarce in another time of the year.

I give my birds a fresh veggie and fruit diet when I can afford the fruit; usually four days a week. Other days they get a cooked meal of grains, nuts, seeds and fruits from a commercial supplier. They get their ration of one day's worth of Harrisons and Roudybush pellets then as well and a little dried fruit, nuts and seeds. For supper they get a cooked food, pasta, rice, wheat, quinona, a shred or two of chicken twice a week for protein, and Sunny and Trixie usually eat supper with me and steal off my plate. At bedtime I check to see they have clean leftover pellets and give them another small amount of seeds, nuts and dried fruit in case they get hungry and go to commune with the cats until my bedtime. Filling a bowl full like you do just encourages your Taz Senegal to play with the pellets and seeds; or to throw out the pellets to get to the seeds. I give pellets in their own bowl, seeds/nuts/dried fruit in their own, and their breakfast and supper in other bowls. Yes, I wash a lot of bowls, but the servings are small to allow me to see how much they eat and what they eat and if they happen to poop on it or whatever, I don't feel upset throwing it out. You always want to make sure your food dishes and water dishes are as clean as possible. I use water bottles/BirdieButlers for water so I know it is clean; and I change it every day at least. Think about offering food in smaller portions and I think you will see a difference in your waste.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
thanks lois. would you say give him a 1/3 or a half a bowl? I dont know how much they should be eating so I dont want to starve him. But I guess he will get the point when its gone for the day he gets no more and maybe he learn that by me giving him less. I have about a 1/3 of a bowl of the seed/pellet mix left (i mixed it 50/50 in a container since it was easier then mixing everyday) so since they have been on that mix should i now do 75% pellet 25% seed? and give a 1/3 of a bowl or how much? I am going to sit there and watch them eat especially taz the food thrower even if I have to watch for an hour and see how they both do with it. Should I ever go to straight pellets? Some say yes some say no since ive been on here im getting mixed reactions. thanks

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Start out with a third of a bowl. Check in on the bird several times a day to see how much they are eating and change their water if you need to do so. You can always add food if they are eating more; but keeping the volume down will hopefully decrease the amount of waste you are seeing. I assume Taz has lots of toys to play with. Boredom is the parrot owner's worse aflliction; makes birds want to get into trouble, throw food, act out and even bite. If we are giving them the proper amount of attention and interactions as well as food and toys, they should be quite happy. Since my birds are in their own birdroom, I go in there a minimum of four times a day to check food, water and how everyone is doing in there. Sometimes it is just to check, others to spend a few hours socializing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Start measuring food instead of going by the bowl. So say start at 3 tbsp; if they don't eat it all in a day, then go down to 2 tbsp. Many places say feed 1 tbsp per 100 grams of bird, but that is approximate my Green Cheek is 54g and my Quaker is 94g... but the Green Cheek eats more than the Quaker does! So you just need to take control over what you are feeding to minimize your waste and save yourself money.

Seeds do offer some good nutrients, it is true. That doesn't mean they are the only place those nutrients come from. I do feed seed, but only human grade, selected seeds that I mix myself as I can't stand the mixes in the stores. That is a personal preference and I do not expect anyone else to do that with me. You have to make choices for your flock by doing research and figuring out what you believe is best. Otherwise, you will get mixed reactions and you won't know how to choose which party to be with.

Now, I don't believe pet birds (besides some exceptions) NEED seed. I think it is a good supplement. If I was against seed, I wouldn't feed it at all. But as I said before, they get a 1/2 tsp every few days with their dried mixes. Pellets in my house are always in their own bowl because it keeps them from swishing it around to get to what they want, which minimizes my waste and saves me money.

I would personally start with 3 tbsp and scale it back as/if needed. Then the rest of their diets can be fresh foods, seeds, mixes, etc. That doesn't mean that is what you HAVE to do or SHOULD do.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Start out with a third of a bowl. Check in on the bird several times a day to see how much they are eating and change their water if you need to do so. You can always add food if they are eating more; but keeping the volume down will hopefully decrease the amount of waste you are seeing. I assume Taz has lots of toys to play with. Boredom is the parrot owner's worse aflliction; makes birds want to get into trouble, throw food, act out and even bite. If we are giving them the proper amount of attention and interactions as well as food and toys, they should be quite happy. Since my birds are in their own birdroom, I go in there a minimum of four times a day to check food, water and how everyone is doing in there. Sometimes it is just to check, others to spend a few hours socializing.
I have an unopened bag of seed I usually like to mix it in a plastic jar I got bird food in before that way I dont need to mix everyday. Since Im cutting him to 1/3 bowl can I also mix 75% pellets 25% seed now? Because I will probably have to do a mixture in the morning since the jar is almost empty. I will give him 1/3 bowl and sit there and watch him the whole time and see if he throws it or if he only eats the seeds or what he does. Should I also only give betty only 1/3 bowl? she doesnt throw food. Let me know if I should do 75% pellets and 25% seed for tomorrow morning if so maybe I will only make there bowls up for the day for a few days to see how it goes before I mix the 4 lb container up of the mixture. If he starts to throw his food I will tell him to stop and if he doesnt I will take the bowl away and offer it back later and see how that works.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Lois, also forgot to add both bird are in our living room so spend all day with us. As you know I am only gone 2 days a week for about 5-6 hours but some of those days my mom is here or sometimes she goes to the kitchen to bake the treats. Then occasional dr appts and such but besides that they are with us all the time. They both do have toys but neither of them play with them. They are the toys they came with plus other ones I have added over time. Maybe they are bored with them? But it seems even the new ones I get dont interest them. Maybe I should switch some toys around and see if that helps at all?. But it seems they have neither been amused by toys since I got both of them I dont know why.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Start measuring food instead of going by the bowl. So say start at 3 tbsp; if they don't eat it all in a day, then go down to 2 tbsp. Many places say feed 1 tbsp per 100 grams of bird, but that is approximate my Green Cheek is 54g and my Quaker is 94g... but the Green Cheek eats more than the Quaker does! So you just need to take control over what you are feeding to minimize your waste and save yourself money.

Seeds do offer some good nutrients, it is true. That doesn't mean they are the only place those nutrients come from. I do feed seed, but only human grade, selected seeds that I mix myself as I can't stand the mixes in the stores. That is a personal preference and I do not expect anyone else to do that with me. You have to make choices for your flock by doing research and figuring out what you believe is best. Otherwise, you will get mixed reactions and you won't know how to choose which party to be with.

Now, I don't believe pet birds (besides some exceptions) NEED seed. I think it is a good supplement. If I was against seed, I wouldn't feed it at all. But as I said before, they get a 1/2 tsp every few days with their dried mixes. Pellets in my house are always in their own bowl because it keeps them from swishing it around to get to what they want, which minimizes my waste and saves me money.

I would personally start with 3 tbsp and scale it back as/if needed. Then the rest of their diets can be fresh foods, seeds, mixes, etc. That doesn't mean that is what you HAVE to do or SHOULD do.
I have no idea what either of mine weigh I have a senegal and a bh. So they are still on the seed/pellet mix should I do 75% pellet 25% seed mix tomorrow? If so would you say about 1/3 cup mixture for each? If you could calculate what it should be tablespoon of pellet and tablespoon seed that would help alot better then me just eyeing it up. Also would that be for the whole day or would they get another feeding later? thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
Commonly Used Measurements & Equivalents Article - Allrecipes.com

Well, 1/4 cup would be 4 tbsp. So 1/3 cup is 5 tbsp and 1 tsp. That's a LOT of food for one bird in one day. As I said, I feed 1-2 tbsp per bird per entire day.

As for the seed thing that is up to you​.
ok thanks I appreciate your help, I think there bowls are bigger then a standard measuring cup maybe? Its the normal silver bowls that come with the cages. It might be a little bit over a cup. But that shouldnt matter. People said I should not go to straight pellets that I should slowly decrease the seed. So I think tomorrow I will try 75% pellet and 25% seed since they were on 50/50 for months, I think they have been on it long enough to decrease the seed.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran

ok thanks I appreciate your help, I think there bowls are bigger then a standard measuring cup maybe? Its the normal silver bowls that come with the cages. It might be a little bit over a cup. But that shouldnt matter. People said I should not go to straight pellets that I should slowly decrease the seed. So I think tomorrow I will try 75% pellet and 25% seed since they were on 50/50 for months, I think they have been on it long enough to decrease the seed.
There are no "normal silver bowls"...I have four different cages, they all came with their own bowls, and each cage has different size bowls. You can't measure by the bowl...use measuring spoons to measure out the amount of food. The size of the bowl is irrelevant. If you want to go 75% and 25%, then do 3 Tablespoons pellet and 1 Tablespoon seed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are no "normal silver bowls"...I have four different cages, they all came with their own bowls, and each cage has different size bowls. You can't measure by the bowl...use measuring spoons to measure out the amount of food. The size of the bowl is irrelevant. If you want to go 75% and 25%, then do 3 Tablespoons pellet and 1 Tablespoon seed.
Agreed. I have 8 oz, 10 oz and 20 oz bowls that all go somewhere around here!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
And freeze anything you arent using in the next month!

4 lbs in 2 weeks is crazy! I feed only what they will eat in 12 hours. In their cages, they get 1 tbsp of pellets for my quaker and green cheek and 2 tbsp for my Hahns. They then get 1 tsp of seed or goldenfeast a day, and 1 tbsp of freeze dried veggies. They get 1-3 tbsp of fresh food. Besides some treats, that is it. Try feeding smaller amounts ans your bird may be less likely to toss it.
I also freeze what I wont' be using in the next few weeks (or about a month I guess). That is a lot of food you are going through, Carolyn. Rowdy only goes through the 3.5 lb bag in about 4 months I think. Now when I had my other conure she ate amazing amounts of pellets and then I did go through it like every 6 weeks or so. But, I have yet to meet another bird her size that ate like that, lol!

Pete and Merlin go though a 5lb bag of Harriosn's about every 6 weeks together.

I also only feed what they will eat in a 12 hour day. Sometimes there is a pellet or 2 at bedtime and crumbles which I put in a plastic container and put out for wild birds in the morning.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
ok great guys thanks for your advice. I will try that and see how it works. Looks like we will have to clean out that back freezer which we needed to do anyways so I can store the pellets in there.

Now 3 tbsp pellets and 1 tbsp of seed is enough for 1 day for them?

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
Now 3 tbsp pellets and 1 tbsp of seed is enough for 1 day for them?
Well you are going to have to monitor their intake...this is a starting point. Give them this amount in the morning. Check the dishes mid to late afternoon and see how much is left. If it's all gone, give them a bit more to finish out the day, then give a bigger amount the next day. If they have food left, and there's still food left at bedtime, then you know they've been fed enough. If there is a lot of food left, you may be able to cut back on the amount you give in the morning. I'd rather my birds have at least a little left at the end of the day so I know they haven't gone hungry.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
thanks the problem is the senegal throws his food. When I start the new mixture and also cut back the amount I give them ( I was giving them both full bowls of pellet/seed mix) his bowl would be gone in an hr. I plan on watching him the first day and see how it goes but obviously I cant watch him everyday since I do run a market 2 days a week. So I feed them in the morning. So on those days I will just have to give it to him and leave and if its empty when I come back give him a little more and watch and have my family watch if he is eating or throwing it. My mom caught him throwing his food the other day and asked him to stop a few times and she told him I will take your food away. He contiuned to throw it so she took the bowl of food away and then gave it back to him later.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Have you tried not mixing the seed and pellets together? He might be throwing food because he is trying to get rid of the pellets to get to the seed, and this would be amplified if the bowl is full.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
so do you think I should give him pellets only or some pellets in 1 bowl and a little seed in another? Im afraid if I do that he may only eat the seed and thats what I am trying to get them off of. They were both on an all seed diet when I got them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would offer them separately. Pellets all day, and seeds for few hours a day. If he always has seeds available, what incentive is there for him to eat the pellets?

Just my opinion.

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
I would offer them separately. Pellets all day, and seeds for few hours a day. If he always has seeds available, what incentive is there for him to eat the pellets?

Just my opinion.
thanks for all your help thankfully he has 3 bowls Betty only has 2 but she has not been a problem with her food. I think what I will do is offer about 1 tbsp of seed in 1 cup and 3 tbsp of pellets in the other and watch which he goes for and if he still throws. If he does eat all the pellets I will offer a little more later in the afternoon/ evening thanks so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.