• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zebra finch beak, brown spot?

S_Sophia_S

Moving in
Real Name
Samavia Sophia Saleem
Hi guys.. I hope you're all well :) my zebra finch have a brown spot on his beak. Idk what that means? He is very happy and love to sing. He is also eating/drinking normally but I just don't know why the spotting is appearing all of a sudden.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Could he have scraped it or banged it on something?

Have you gently wiped a moist cotton bud (Q-tip) over it to be sure it´s not food or poop?

S_Sophia_S

Moving in
Real Name
Samavia Sophia Saleem
Hi, yes I have. Unfortunately it's still there but I read somewhere that it's a sign of sickness. Is it true?

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
To me, it looks like damage or dried food. I would keep an eye on it and watch for other signs of illness. Food will fall off and damage should repair slowly.

If it gets worse or if he acts ill, I would recommend a vet consultation.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It looks like a small beak injury. It should heal naturally. Keep an eye on your bird and make sure they are eating as they usually do. If you notice changes in behaviour a vet consult is a good idea.

I also suggest looking at your enclosure critically, consider if there is anything that may have cause this injury. If your finch is only living with other finches this may be from something within the enclosure. Finches can get caught in bars, they can be pinched between clips, etc. If everything seems secure, don't fret, sometimes accidents, collisions and such can happen.

My last suggestion is to be careful how you hold your finch. Birds do not have diaphragms like humans, and they have very different biology. I will share an image to help you understand what I mean. I will also include a link on finch handling. You don't want to place pressure up into their abdomen. This can restrict their breathing since they are unable to inflate their air-sacs. Try to keep your finger running perpendicularly to their breast and avoid putting pressure on the soft tissue.

Here is a link with advice on handling: Catching and Handling Finches

stock-vector-the-illustration-shows-basic-pigeon-anatomy-with-nine-air-sacs-1739489489.jpg

S_Sophia_S

Moving in
Real Name
Samavia Sophia Saleem
Thanks for every reply I have gotten. It means a lot and yes I believe it's an injury. The little fellah has been very busy with building nests.. Like everywhere, so maybe he got injured due to that but I will keep an eye. He seems happy though but if anything happens I will contact my vet.

Also thanks a lot for telling me how to hold him. I actually thought of that right before I posted this picture but it was the only recent one I had, I remember him being irritated when I was holding him but I had to take a good proper look at his beak and try to gently wash it away if it was food or poop.

I'll be more careful next time

Kate&Bean

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kate Ivey
I also appreciated the info on how to hold finches ! I’m fairly new to the game and have only tried to catch one of mine once when I thought he looked like he may have been losing some feathers. I think I was as scared as him. we don’t talk about the great entrapment of 2022 …haha