• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zack & Zecora

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I haven't seen them eat yet. I had them covered most of the day to unwind from their stress and left them alone mostly... I am not sure if I should be worried? Right now they are huddled together on the baby chain I have in there. I just am gunna worry until I see them eat I think... There is plenty of food
Hulls on the floor? I worried too. I think we all do! Pretty soon you'll wish they made hulled seed blends.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
They’ll be okay. If they seem afraid of other pets, cover 3 sides of the cage with a blanket or towel.

CrzyCavLdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I weaved millet spray in the baby chain and I caught Zack eating that. I went to get my coffee and went back to the dinningroom and they were both sitting on the food dish :) I don't have their pellets yet, they will be coming on the next order for work (Tuesday) I hope this wont hurt them. I think I will make a cage cover to slid over the back sides and front, then that way I can raise or lower sides... is a cotton sheet okay? I rather upcycle old bed sheets than buy fabric clear out my garage some!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Sheets are what I use. Monaco came with her own set of black ones. Some day I'll get them sewn to fit, but I just drape for now.

CrzyCavLdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Okay so there is some weird behavior- Zack likes to sit in and duck down in the food bowls... is this normal? I am actually a bit nervous that one of the bowls (I have a 10oz stainless steel for veggies) is being seen as a nest? I am trying to get a picture of it but when I go talk to them they bounce out and look at me like "What?" on the baby chains in the middle. I feel good they are coming closer when I catch them than move away... that is a plus?

Grylover

Moving in
Okay! I am a first time finch owner. I am getting a pair of Zebra Finch tomorrow, I am settling on the names Zack and Zecora for them I do believe. I am lucky to have found a breeder who has them on seed, pellet and fresh diet! I am playing with making a sprouting jar for them, and my friend is 3-D printing perch caps for the cage so there will be at lest 2 more long perches in there. No bigger than 1/2" for those for now. I haven't put in the 4 water silos or the bath yet for this picture, I will tonight for tomorrow- or tomorrow morning so it is nice and fresh. I would like any pointers anyone may have regaurding these little souls! Toys, bedding, cage set up, food, anything and everything. I never had finch, just Budgies and lock birds. I feel like a child on Christmas right now that I am finally getting Finch, I have wanted some for -Years-! I finally have the space and set up worthy of them (I hope)!

Grylover

Moving in
OMG now you have me thinking of finches. I used to have some 40 years ago. They were fun and so easy. Can you put a canary in with finches. It would be fun to mix it up, but I don't want any birdies unhappy?

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Okay so there is some weird behavior- Zack likes to sit in and duck down in the food bowls... is this normal? I am actually a bit nervous that one of the bowls (I have a 10oz stainless steel for veggies) is being seen as a nest? I am trying to get a picture of it but when I go talk to them they bounce out and look at me like "What?" on the baby chains in the middle. I feel good they are coming closer when I catch them than move away... that is a plus?
I didn't see this. I bet they're exploring possible nesting spots, and just checking things out in general. It's great they are interested in you!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
OMG now you have me thinking of finches. I used to have some 40 years ago. They were fun and so easy. Can you put a canary in with finches. It would be fun to mix it up, but I don't want any birdies unhappy?
Just keep a second cage in case someone doesn't get along. A nice big flight cage!

CrzyCavLdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
My new babies are settling in nicely! I am happy to say they seem to be settling in nicely, except they will not let mt get a picture! I hope I can soon! They are so cute and their meeps are so nice to listen to! No nesting yet, I wanted to leave any boxes or baskets out for a time before trying for babies. They don't hop around as much as they did in the store, but I am going to boast and say that their cage now is much fuller in the area of enrichment than the one they had in the store!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Okay so... this happened...
:heelp:
That string has to come out right away. I think you can boil those eggs and put them back when they're cool, replace them with dummies, or take the dish away altogether. Maybe a flat dish instead?

@finchly will know.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yep you got it! You can buy dummy eggs or give them back the boiled ones.
they can have bits of paper towel, burlap,or coconut shreds for nest material. Or shredded paper!

CrzyCavLdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
I don't think I could kill the babies like that. I do not have the heart to. Can I move them to a nest box?

I have NO idea where that string came from! That was a surprise. I have a lot of nesting materials for them when I was ready for babies but their timing and my timing are not congruent.

Mantis64

I don't think I could kill the babies like that. I do not have the heart to. Can I move them to a nest box?

I have NO idea where that string came from! That was a surprise. I have a lot of nesting materials for them when I was ready for babies but their timing and my timing are not congruent.
If you want babies then yes you could move them to the nest box. From my knowledge I believe that finches are good parents but be careful as I heard they breed like rabbits.

CrzyCavLdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Thank you for supporting my choice Mantis64 I really appreciate it! I will be more diligent with anything that could be mistaken as a nest... next time...

Mantis64

Thank you for supporting my choice Mantis64 I really appreciate it! I will be more diligent with anything that could be mistaken as a nest... next time...
I'm exactly the same I wouldn't be able to boil the eggs as well but I dont have to worry about that I only have my one ringneck.
@finchly can give more advice on what to do with caring for the eggs.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Eggs are going to happen, even if they don't have suitable nesting locations. Candling is the only way to tell if they're fertile and developing an embryo. If you do decide you want every egg incubated you will be overrun by birds in short order.

Pulling the eggs prior to incubation means there's no embryo yet.