• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Your opinion on going outside without harnesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feyoka

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ingrid
Hmm, going outside with the harness is a good idea. I was planning to get her used to it before going outside with her wearing it, but that makes sense too.

I have the aviator harness as well. It's quite safe, certainly the best harness you can buy. :)

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
I take my birds often out.Casco is wearing a Harness(aviator) and Jack Has Feather Theater but I so complicated to use so now I'm waiting the new Aviator for him.For now we just use the cord yo attach the leash dor his ring.I know it is not good but he never fly and we are ok with it till the new harness arrive(it will be this week I guess-you know the posts)
Casco is sometimes biting on the harness when we were it but after few minutes he is just fine like it is not there.It is easy to put one.Only when it need to pass the head he is not very happy but we do it fast.After that is easy.
Here I often see one Cockatoo in a car (with open window) or on the shoulder of his owner.He never has a harness on.I'm so worry that one day he will lose that peaty bird but I cant stop him to ask him if he is at least recall trained.It is a very big risk.I can't imagine on of my birds flying away.....
I wish to build for mine a aviary outside but let's see if will be possible.For now we use the harness.We are having weekly showers out with the birds and they love it.They dry on the sun in the garden and enjoy every moment out.
I have for both of them the flight suits.They are very easy to put on and my birds are taking them well.This I will use to take them in the care with me and visit my friends out.Later maybe just go for a coffee in the neighborhood coffee shop.
We take it easy.step by step so they are relaxed and im sure they enjoy the time out.

DJHartmann

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dylan
My little romeo flew out the door once, shocked when someone opened it and was walking in. It took 3 of us hunting all around, driving here and there, calling out his name for about 30 minutes when he suddenly appeared at the door step holding a thread of straw for nesting material. He's not fully tame, so then catching him was another drama. As for Cheeky, I couldn't bare losing him and if I did he'd be sold in an instant as he's worth more than most locals' monthly salary! T^T I won't take him out until I get my new harness (arriving soon!)

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Dylan did you order one from the parrot university?
I'm waiting mine and hope will soon be her.It is already 8 days and no harness yet!

komodeno

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nadejda or just Nadia
Did you get it in a better price?
I got one for 26$ with onather order of toys and did not add on shipping but if i need to ship only one harness will cost me much more then the 9 more i will pay with the parrot university.
You have so many thing in Australia fore parrots. Here is almost impossible to get a quality toys and even you find nice stuff it is overpriced.I.m ordering from US atleast 2 a year.

Allessa

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
My birds are all fully flighted..so NO WAY. I have travel cages they come with me in. I let Jaden sit on my shoulder sometimes in the car if he gets too yancy but thats only if all my windows are rolled all the way up. Birds just spook WAY to easily to chance something like that. I could never forgive myself.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
I have to admit, my husband takes Gibby outside without any restraints sometimes. But I think I have it drilled into his head now about how dangerous it is. He's clipped but if a gust of wind suddenly came on and he had his wings spread open, he'd be like a kite and fly up up up.

My lineolated parakeet flew out our camper door this past summer. He is very dearly missed and I worry about him daily! I thought I did everything right: I use carriers only when taking my birds out, we don't open one door without checking to see if anybirdie is in the vicinity. But we got careless that one day and now Joey is paying the ultimate price.

It's not worth it! If your bird hates the harness and you can't get him to wear it at all, put him in a carrier or in a cage that you use for outside time.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
no, no and NO!!!!!

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I have TWO birds that "didn't" fly FLY!!!!
Back when we started with the BIG birds over 20 years ago...I had Sammy (B&G) sitting on my shoulder as I walked down the hill to get the mail...did it every day! Well, coming back up, wind gust caught him and OFF he went flying down the hill into the woods...a couple hours later I cut down a tree he was in and he road the tree down and I got him back!
Boggie, Amazon, was on Poppa's shoulder ( was clipped) and someone walked around the corner of the house and scared Boggie who flew off the shoulder, low to the ground, and was able to land in a low tree limb and proceeded to fly/hop to the TOP of the tree!!!! Poppa was able to climb tree and retrieve him BUT other trees were near by that he could have gone to and we wouldn't have been able to get him back....
AND have a friend who lost a Macaw who flew to a tall tree...she would put the mate in a BUCKET truck to try to retrieve the one in the tree...It never came down or flew to another tree and she found the body two weeks later at the bottom of the tree...
So NO...it is NOT worth the price either pay to have them outside without protection of some sort....Clipping the wings does NOT stop the bird from flying UNLESS it is so server the bird will get injuried when trying to fly and fall like a rock:mad::hug8:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
For me, its too great of a risk. The thought of giving my birds the enjoyment of being outside at the risk of losing them forever to a raptor species, a car, or just never being able to retrieve them should they fly off is too steep of a price. My birds go outside now in secured cages, travel cages, and I'm investing in a Pak O Bird so I can take them with me on my trips to the farmers market and such :)

Kathy

Bad Idea and I'd never do it!
If I take my birds out they will be in cages or carriers.

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
Very bad idea. My friend of 15 yrs took her Too outside for some sun. He managed to get a little air time and landed in the street and was killed. I never take my babies out without either a flight suit or in a cage. Yes birds love the outdoors and the sun but remember that when outside instinct can take over. And onone whats to lose a baby.:)

AkCrimson

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Hillari
No no no NO. My Family lost our Sun Conure because he had juuuust enough lift to get up into a tree and kept going from tree to tree up and up. We couldn't get him to come down, he didn't get the concept. It was cold and there were plenty of things that could have made a quick meal out of him. It was a terrible experience and in no way worth it.

I don't take mine outside, it's rarely warm enough for it even in the summers up here in Alaska. Once we move somewhere warmer in the Spring, they will all be getting harnesses and clips so that we can go outside a lot.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would never in a million years take that risk. a friend of mine in MI,had an Umbrella too and a Quaker and he would let them outside without any harnesses and one day my mom was walking up to us and the Too saw her, got scared and flew across the street and hit the side of a house. Luckily he wasnt hurt and it stunned him just enough for my neighbor to get him back.

Another time,the Quaker escaped out the door and he was gone for about 3 days. He would perch on someones roof or in their tree and would just circle and circle without coming an lower. He finally came down at night and was sitting on the guys porch when he woke up.

He was so lucky to get both of them back,I would never take that chance.

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
Bad idea as so many things can go wrong even if your bird is trained or you trust he or she wont run fly off. I used to take Isis out with out one then I started seeing so many members talking about lost birds. I dread to think of what could happen to a domesticated bird in the wild on their own.:( jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.