• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

You scream, I scream

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
You scream, I scream, we all scream JUST TO SCREAM!

20201121_141338.jpg
Bablu here to interrupt your scroll with an important reminder - PARROTS ARE LOUD, NO MATTER THEIR SIZE. In fact, some of the smallest feathered friends can cause the most ruckus!

We get a lot of requests, especially near the holidays, from people looking for companion parrots to love or gift to other humans in their lives. While most of these requests are well-intentioned, unfortunately the majority lack an understanding of parrots' natural behaviors as wild animals.

If you're serious about adopting a bird, you should know that two of the most common reasons parrots are rehomed or abandoned are because of 1. their noise levels, and 2. relationship problems that arise from humans expecting them to embody qualities that simply aren't natural to (most) parrots.

They are not inanimate objects to gift, but rather complex companions who deserve a chance to build solid trust bonds with the flock mates with whom they're expected to share a home. Communication is an important part of this flock relationship, making loud vocalizations when they are happy/frustrated/excited/scared/confused/lonely (and generally just alive!) a normal daily reality.

Instead of trying to perfectly package a parrot to fit human imagination, consider gifting books and educational materials about parrots, sponsorship certificates in honor of your loved ones, stuffed animals, bird photography courses, and/or in-person experiences with nonprofits dedicated to avian welfare in your area.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Instead of trying to perfectly package a parrot to fit human imagination, consider gifting books and educational materials about parrots, sponsorship certificates in honor of your loved ones, stuffed animals, bird photography courses, and/or in-person experiences with nonprofits dedicated to avian welfare in your area.
A good message to share, especially at this time of year

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
As much as I love animals I would NEVER give one as a gift or want to receive one as a gift, bird or not. I feel bad even giving people live plants.

Any living creature is huge responsibility and a longterm commitment. It is not something to be given away at random or on a whim.

It is also worth keeping in mind that the costs of owning a pet are much more that the purchase price. Not only can parrots cause a lot of destruction, but the cost of cages, toys, food, and vet bills add up to significantly more over time. So if you can't afford to BUY a parrot, you certainly won't be in a good position to afford to own one without assistance.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I was on a site today (sorry! Can’t remember which one) and for every bird they said “if you live in an apartment or condo, this bird might be the right one for you”. One of those was a caique!!! They are NOT QUIET.