• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yoshi's Broken Beak

Yoshi'sMom

Checking out the neighborhood
Good day to the flock!
This is Yoshi, a free flyer. We had a terrible accident a couple of months back and he lost most of his upper beak. Vet says it will likely not grow back and time passing indicates that this is true. My question is about nutrition.
We've always fed Psittacus pellets plus homemade chop that I freeze into little cubes. Since the accident, I've pulverized his pellets and mixed in with applesauce, sweet potatoes, etc. I also do an even finer grind on his chop an include some of it with the applesauce/pellet mix. Since he can't do anything with larger seeds or nuts, we instead give him a small bit of almond butter, (no palm oil), as a treat once a day. And he loves lots of people food. Anything semi-healthy that we're eating, we let him do so. But...it seems he just isn't eating enough of things that are good for him and I'm wondering about vitamins to add to anything I prepare for him. Would it be useful or helpful to his overall health? I do have some concern that most of what he's eating is relatively high in carbs which I don't believe is good for any creature.
Yoshi is otherwise healthy, active and a lovely little flybaby. I'd just like to make sure we're giving him what's best to ensure a good, long life.
Any advice or thoughts on this topic?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Birds don't need lots of protein or fat.... And carbs are the only thing left once you remove those. Birds do well on a high carb diet because they naturally need lots of energy very quickly, due to how quickly they digest and burn through calories.

Look at hummingbirds as an example... While they do eat some bugs, they mostly eat nectar. The vast majority of their diet is carbs.

The pellets are already providing vitamins and minerals, so I would worry about adding a multivitamin. It does depend on how much pellets he's actually eating, so it's not that you can't, just something to consider.

Yoshi'sMom

Checking out the neighborhood
Excellent point about hummingbirds...hadn't considered that. BigThanks for your reply!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
What a little sweetie. I'm sorry about his accident, but glad to hear he surviving and adapting.
.nit sure he needs the apple sauce. Just puree any veggies you want to include. What brand of pellets?
Is he maintaining his weight ?