• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yellow lovie but black eyes

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi everyone,
Before I go into an online rabbit hole, question… I’ve had a peach faced lutino a long time ago and she had red eyes. My new baby is yellow, and is growing beautiful white feathers and her tail feathers are coming in almost lavender/ slate gray. Definitely some purple in there. Her clutch mates were older and much more feathered (she was a slow grower but has caught up!) and there were two we didn’t take. One had cobalt blue back feathers and the other had like a purple. Just wondering if anyone had thoughts. I guess I was confused cus she has black eyes.

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m not sure what the question is here. But if you are asking about your birds mutation, I suspect Pallid (Australian cinnamon). It will become clearer to see what mutations your bird does or doesn´t have as the plumage grows.

Those blue rump feathers you see will likely moult back in a brighter baby blue when the first moult happens in a few months time.

Just like my bird Sydney (The one in my profile pic). My AA friend has a Lutino lovebird, and our boys look so similar from the front, but from the back very different.

Edit, I just pulled some pics and it looks like your birds rump is different so maybe a violet factor or some other mutation at play. I still think Pallid because of the pink feet and beak colour.
Screenshot_20220630_101657_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_20220630_101720_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_20220630_101756_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg Screenshot_20220630_101850_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Last edited:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I´m not sure what the question is here. But if you are asking about your birds mutation, I suspect Pallid (Australian cinnamon). It will become clearer to see what mutations your bird does or doesn´t have as the plumage grows.

Those blue rump feathers you see will likely moult back in a brighter baby blue when the first moult happens in a few months time.

Just like my bird Sydney (The one in my profile pic). My AA friend has a Lutino lovebird, and our boys look so similar from the front, but from the back very different.

Edit, I just pulled some pics and it looks like your birds rump is different so maybe a violet factor or some other mutation at play. I still think Pallid because of the pink feet and beak colour.
View attachment 409469 View attachment 409470 View attachment 409471 View attachment 409472
Thank you so much. Sydney is so darn cute. I guess I assumed lutino, but I was sure that my last lutino had red eyes and gray feet. It’s so interesting how all these mutations play out. I expected the tail feathers to be blue. I guess we will see as she grows. Thanks a bunch!

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol

View attachment 409469 View attachment 409470 View attachment 409471 View attachment 409472
What do you think the hybrid on Wally the green bird might be. Sorry to pick your brain, it’s all so interesting! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
These are little E’s parents, they are so beautiful. I think I see a little of that violet on the tail of the bird on the right.
The bird on the left is Lutino and the bird on the right is Pallid (though they look very young as they still have a ¨peach¨ face and not red).
If I´m not mistaken... if the bird on the left (the Lutino) is your birds mother, then your Pallid bird is a Female. Is that right @expressmailtome ?

I guess I assumed lutino, but I was sure that my last lutino had red eyes
A Lutino bird will have red eyes and a red rump (the blue is missing due to the reduction of eumelanin, leaving only the red behind).

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
The bird on the left is Lutino and the bird on the right is Pallid (though they look very young as they still have a ¨peach¨ face and not red).
If I´m not mistaken... if the bird on the left (the Lutino) is your birds mother, then your Pallid bird is a Female. Is that right @expressmailtome ?

A Lutino bird will have red eyes and a red rump (the blue is missing due to the reduction of eumelanin, leaving only the red behind).
The guy said the my little yellow Eva was 90% female and that my green Wally was a male. I know it’s not 100% so we will see

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You are correct, except from that picture I am not sure if the male is a pallidino instead of just a pallid. It is a mutatino that can only occur in males, and is very uncommon and also commonly misidentified. This article explains the combination mutation: www.MUTAVI.info .

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
You guys are so well versed in this. I just read that article out loud to my husband and after we were like huh??? Hahaha

The guy had 3 baby yellows left, my little naked Eva who was bald and so helpless, and 2 other yellows- one had blue rump, one had purple rump. They were both almost fully feathered. I think the youngest baby was 20 days (Eva) and the oldest out of the clutch were 28 days. They size difference was large. While we weren’t planning on getting such a young one, I just felt bad leaving her there, thinking who she might end up with, maybe someone with no experience. So we took her instead of the more developed ones. I’ve had experience with lovebirds and babies, in a different capacity, I had a breeding pair that gave me babies, that we kept so I was confident that I could provide a good upbringing for her. I had seen the traditional lutino often, but was surprised to see the blue rump and definitely the purple on her sister!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This article explains the combination mutation: www.MUTAVI.info .
Thanks for the link, that was a an interesting read. I did see something written about PallidIno before but I didn´t read too much into it. It makes sense they can only be males because both SL Ino and Pallid are on the Z chromasome.

we were like huh???
When I was choosing a first bird, I knew nothing about lovebird mutations. I was just drawn to a yellow bird. Since then I´ve looked into mutations and it´s quite fascinating, I enjoy learning about the different mutations as a hobby :) Be warned, it´s a whole huge rabbit hole :lol:

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
@Zara my Eva seems to be looking more like your Sydney in that last cuddle picture! Eva still has that purplish hue but I see more gray, no blue. And the same red that your little one has on the rump, two little spots. Is Sydney a pallid (Australian cinnamon) as well? Did you raise her from that age? I know you said you have some parents and their offsprings. I just love their pure white flight feathers!

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Eva will change slightly again in a few months during first moult. It´s when tey get the strong brow line and a more red face replaces the lighter peach colour. The rump may change slightly too, usually a smidge more vibrant.

red that your little one has on the rump, two little spots
Yea, there´s orangey red spots on all of the tail feathers bar the middle ones.

Is Sydney a pallid (Australian cinnamon)
Yes he is.

Did you raise her from that age? I know you said you have some parents and their offsprings.
Sydney is my odd man out.
I brought him home at (23 or) 25 days.The pic of him in the box was in my car the day we got him.

Do you have more pics of your little ones? :)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Eva will change slightly again in a few months during first moult. It´s when tey get the strong brow line and a more red face replaces the lighter peach colour. The rump may change slightly too, usually a smidge more vibrant.

Yea, there´s orangey red spots on all of the tail feathers bar the middle ones.

Yes he is.

Sydney is my odd man out.
I brought him home at (23 or) 25 days.The pic of him in the box was in my car the day we got him.

Do you have more pics of your little ones? :)
Looks like Sydney has a streak of emerald on his back! How gorgeous! That’s the main difference between ours.
That’s around how old Wally was, around 24 days old. We were going to just get him but Eva looked so pathetic and she was a much slower grower. Poor little thing was getting stomped on by her much larger and active siblings, while she really hadn’t gotten the hang on even sitting up with her feet under her (think she was like 18 days). That was a bit too young, we would have just reserved her and come back but the guy was moving to another state in a week. Best decision!

You said that you have parents that sometimes play together with the babies during out time? That’s so cute, like a family reunion.

Attachments

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Aww so precious! :swoon: Loving all the pics! They look great :)

You said that you have parents that sometimes play together with the babies during out time?
Yea. I stopped letting the youngest two out with them. They are out together with Sydney as a three. On some occasions I do let them all out, but it can be a nightmare depending on what the birds current status is.
I have a pair who fly with their first two offspring (Also a pair). Their cages are pressed right up against each other on the long side, I often find them all congregated in the same corner. They enjoy each others company but I would never house them together. It works well for us :)