• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Yellow Feathers in Senegals and Liver Disease?

FancyPants

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rachel
Hi this is my first post post here anyway, my little Senegal is about a year and three months old now, and when I brought her home at about four months old, she was "normal" colored, but after her first molt she's started growing yellow feathers all over and now she looks pied. Somebody told me that yellow feathers could be a sign of liver disease, but her diet is pretty healthy (Roudybush and Higgins Fruit to Nut) which the breeder recommended, and she doesn't get anything really fatty as a treat, mostly just fruits. She's been yellowy/pied for about 8 months and doesn't have any other symptoms of having a fatty liver, but isn't it odd for her to just become pied?

So I guess my question is if it's normal for some Senegals to become pied after their first molt or if I should be concerned? She also has her first check up this Saturday, but if it is possibly liver disease do I need to get her in sooner, especially if I've unknowingly let it sit for so long?

I attached the best photos I could find to show what her feathers look like, and one of her before/during her first molt, unfortunately I don't have any that aren't a little blurry, but that one probably doesn't matter too much.
DSCF3428.JPG DSCF3436.JPG DSCF2066.JPG

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Welcome and your Senegal is a cutie. Someone will be along soon that knows a lot more about this issue.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Wait until you see your vet and have the chem blood test done. It is really the only way to actually know if your little one is sick. Meanwhile, relax and give love and attention to your birdie. What is her name?

:welcomeavenue: :greet7:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:welave:

Wolf

Jogging around the block
I don't think that your bird has fatty liver disease at this age, but considering the feather condition I do suspect some malnutrition to be at work here. I could be more helpful with more information as to which Roudybush food you are feeding as I have to look at the ingredients of the food to know how to answer you and to make any reliable recommendations on diet and nutrition.
Off the top of my head I would say that your bird needs a lot more fruits and vegetables in its diet than it is currently receiving. I feed my birds when they first wake up a fresh raw vegetable, a fresh leafy green and a fruit, then about an hour later I feed a cooked food consisting of whole grains, mixed vegetables and White beans and lentils and then I feed them a good quality seed mix for dinner.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Fresh fruits and veggies are crucial to your bird's health. Even though the best pellet formulations are "complete and balanced", often the vitamins and minerals added to the basic ingredients are not as biological available as vitamins in living foods. The pellets are a source of basic nutrition, not the best source of nutrition. Living food is the best food. Most humans have forgotten this, allowing ourselves to be lulled into processed and preserved food for convenience and time saving.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Welcome to the Avenue:hug8:I believe a vet check is in order,it could be a vitamin deficiency or even PBFD(I don't want to scare You-but it is a possibility. Do You know the history of the parents? Is it possible that one of them had a Pied gene?Pied Senegal