• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Yawning continously

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Bird

Walking the driveway
Hey All, Today at about 930 PM Luti was playing with us in our living room. He was sitting on my wife s shoulder and suddenly we found that he continously opening his mouth pretty wide (like yawning) for about 5 - 10 mins…We tried to pet him, talk to him but he would not make a sound… I tried to give him some water and after 15 mins he came back to normal. He started whistling and playing again… Also I notice that when I come home from work or come to check on them from the other room , Spike and Luti or just Luti mostly is sitting on the bottom of the cage… sometime Luti dozes for sometime at the bottom. But otherwise she is as active as ever, playful, her droppings seem normal. Any idea why? I ll b taking her to a vet. But wanted to get it out here for some advise...

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A visit to an avian vet is definitely a priority. Just some thoughts~Could be an ear infection. Something could be lodged in his mouth. Birds hide their illness. Sitting at the bottom does not sound right. Spike shares a cage with Luti?

Last edited:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I agree with Carole..and avian vet visit is in order....while yawning during the day is not abnormal///usually a crop adjustment....continual yawning can be a sign of a yeast infection, sour crop, mega bacteria etc...and sitting on the bottom is either nesty behavior or can also be the sign of a sick bird..I would actually take both of the birds to the vet..asap.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Continuous yawning can also be a sign that a bird is not getting enough oxygen. It's usually seen in birds that are sedentary and somewhat obese. The fat deposits are putting pressure on the airsac system.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
It also could mean he has something stuck in his crop. What kind of birds are they? I would take him to the vet sooner than later so they can evaluate.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Rather than everyone speculating....this person needs to just visit a vet.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Just looking for update... Sending over healing vibes.. :hug8:

Mr.Bird

Walking the driveway
Thanks for your inputs. we met the vet yesterday. She checked both Luti n Spike. She said that they were looking fine and has prescribed Luti to be on Baytril just in case there is an infection… I am giving her the intibiotics orally… She seems to be better… :)

Status
Not open for further replies.