• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Xrays on Birds - Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnyNshandy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Hi there. I put a call into my vet today about Shandy, my little seizuring tiel. He had 2 seizures today and averages 10 a month. We did bloodwork and a gram stain - all normal. He's been on potassium bromide since October; we upped it in December (I got the rehomed boys in September - 10 days later; first seizure). No change really on the meds. It was mentioned here to do Xrays of the chest/heart and my really really wants to sedate him to do it. Wanted to put him under anesthesia first and I said flat out - no. I am not putting a bird that is having seizures under isoflurane. Thing is - potassium bromide in a dog slows down seizures - of any kind. This isnt. So I am hoping that I see cloudiness on the lungs or a heart problem I guess to treat that. Do all of you who have had your bird Xrayed sedated them? He said they tape the wings down to get a clear pic the bird laying down. Geez. If that wont stress him into a seizure...what will? He has seen 2 avian vets and both have the same ideas for him. They really think brain damage - but this lung/heart thing did peak their interest today and they are doing more research on it tonite.

Any advice is thanked in advance!!! He is such a honey...

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cant offer anything about the seizures, but my vet (board certified avian for 20+ years) does sedate for xrays. He says it is less stressful than them being taped down. Mine have always done well.

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
My vet sedates. She gives the anaesthia and oxygen at the same time, very safe.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I've only had an Xray on Merlin, and also for seizures. She sat on the perch quietly like a good girl so no sedation was necessary.

Has your bird been tested for ABV? The best way is a blood test to look for the DNA as the fecal test is not reliable.

Was the bloodwork to check for heavy metals?

Did the vet check her calcium levels?

sunnyNshandy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
I am not sure about abv - I dont think so? We did a fecal, gram stain and basic blood work. Shandy seizes every time we go to the vets so we try to make the visits as quick as possible :( Yes we wanted to look for toxicity and basic values I believe - I cant remember exactly as that was in October. He eats a very good healthy diet here with lots of greens (kale and cilantro specifically which would help with the calcium/toxicity if it were that - that is if he can absorb the calcium, etc). Has a cuttle bone. I asked about a calcium specific test but I dont think there is one. Shandy is a little tiny tiel - they have a dental size 2 sensor and a full body digital which requires them to lay down. Maybe I should just let them put him under quickly and draw more blood and Xray at the same time.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
The chem panel should have a test for calcium levels on it. Low calcium is a common cause of seizures, which I'm sure your vet knows :)

Merlin didn't have any metal toxicity and her seizures were attributed to having ABV. She hasn't had one for almost a year. She takes Celebrex to control the ABV symptoms and it's working well for her. It's estimated that about 40% of parrots are infected with ABV. Now many never have a single symptom, and others can have all sorts of problems. You might want to mention it to your vet.

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
when my caleb had to have xrays they sedated him. they were surgically closing a self inflicted wound and did the xrays at the same time. he did just fine.

hope they can help your lil one.
:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
be careful if you let them sedate him too...many tiels die from being sedated as they are a smaller bird..make sure they know what they are doing when they sedate please..many prayers on the way.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would think the risk of a seizure would be greater without a little sedation because of the stress. My vet also sedates, but for the little guys it's minimal.

Ginger

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
i have no input just good thoughts going your way :hug8:

sthiele

Budgie Bunch
Real Name
Steve
be careful if you let them sedate him too...many tiels die from being sedated as they are a smaller bird..make sure they know what they are doing when they sedate please..many prayers on the way.:hug8:
This may have been true in the past, but it absolutely isn't true now. Birds are given a very light dose of anesthesia for xrays and wake up very quickly. I've had 2 of my budgies put under anesthesia in the past few months with no problem.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Itsy just had x-rays and she was not sedated. My vet says they only sedate them if they are really stressed. She did fine and was strapped & wings taped to the board.

There is ALWAYS some risk to using anesthesia on anyone, including people. I had surgery and took a long time to wake up. I woke up to a whole team standing over me waiting to see IF I would wake up. They were worried. I would not put a bird under unless absolutely necessary.

HelenVanessaDavies

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helen
Jennifer is right in that there's always a risk with anethesia. As my vets say they literally give them a "whiff" of the gas, just so they don't freak out when being taped down and stay still long enough. I've never had one of my little dude x-rayed though, but they're always careful with little guys.

sunnyNshandy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Yes my vet said the same thing - there of course is a risk with anesthsia - even with just drawing blood on the tinies - there is a risk. But at some point you need to just do it and accept the risk I guess. I think we're at that point. His seizure count per month is not going down with potassium bromide and I have impatiently waited til the full 3 months were up. He has had 32 seizures since 9/20 and been on meds since Oct 20 or so. The meds aren't obviously working. I am going to wait til next week (payday is Friday) and will schedule when my fav vet tech is there to assist as well.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Best of luck and I really hope they find something and are able to help :hug8:

sunnyNshandy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
I'm having them do the ABV, another complete blood panel and Xray the heart/lungs. Yeah..wish us luck. Little sweet guy....

Status
Not open for further replies.