• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Would you consider this hormonal behavior?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is a short video clip of something Opie has done with increasing frequency since I brought him home. He will bury his beak in between blocks of wood or kabob and just leave his beak there while flicking his tongue in and out. You can see his eyes are pinning, and he is quivering. He will either stand almost completely still, or he will reach out with a foot to pull the toy closer to him.

I’ve not read of any other behavior quite like this, so I’m hoping someone here has experienced something similar with their bird(s)!

He also has an obsession with leather cord. He will chew on the ones in his toys for 30 mimutes!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don’t know about the behavior, but I do know that he’s precious! :heart:

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
This is a short video clip of something Opie has done with increasing frequency since I brought him home. He will bury his beak in between blocks of wood or kabob and just leave his beak there while flicking his tongue in and out. You can see his eyes are pinning, and he is quivering. He will either stand almost completely still, or he will reach out with a foot to pull the toy closer to him.

I’ve not read of any other behavior quite like this, so I’m hoping someone here has experienced something similar with their bird(s)!

He also has an obsession with leather cord. He will chew on the ones in his toys for 30 mimutes!
Looks funny, but to me it doesn't look hormonal (coming from someone with a very hormonal cockatiel). Parrots have some quirky ways, and that behavior looks soothing, but maybe not hormonal? In my opinion.
If it is hormonal, there isn't much you can do about it. It seems harmless.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie has some interesting habits! Well, at least to me because my budgies just don’t do things like this!

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Opie has some interesting habits! Well, at least to me because my budgies just don’t do things like this!
Parrots are such characters, volunteering has definitely taught me that. Never seen a macaw drool... till I started volunteering. Not to be off-topic, just curious; Has Opie gotten any friendlier? Have you been able to pet him or step up?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Opie can still be very cage aggressive. If I approached him while he was playing with that toy, he would have tried to bite me. I don’t know that I’ll ever be able to touch him to scratch his head. But, I can get him to step up on to a rope perch!!