• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would these precautions be good enough?

Vittror

Jogging around the block
Wasn't really sure if this question should be in safety avenue or healthy highway but here we go:

I'm thinking about adopting a lovebird pair (2 birds) from an animal shelter.

The plan is to immediatly go with them to my regular avian veterinary for a complete checkup and screening for PBFD, PDD, polyoma and chlamydiosis.
While waiting for the lab results (could take a couple of days) they can stay in quarantine at the avian vet as I'm not able to do a full quarantine in my house.

IF these birds have PBDF, PDD or polyoma they can't come to live with me as I've got other birds at home already and it would endanger their health.
I've got a place where the adopted lovebirds can go to if necessary so that's not a problem.
Of course I hope they are healthy and are able to live their best life with me!

The precautions I want to take after traveling with them are:
- F10-ing (spray bottle) the inside of the car, the carrier, perches, food bowls and everything that came in contact with them
- at home immediatly stripping out of worn clothes, putting the clothes in a garbage bag (less posibility of particles spreading), and jumping right after in the shower (few meter away from the front door of the house)
- washing the clothes in the washing machine with laundry dergent and F10 (would both be necessary?)
- Misting/spraying F10 (spray bottle) the entrance and hall of my house and my shoes and jacket

The layout of my house is you've got the front door/hall, first bedroom, toilet and then the bathroom.
The living room (where my birds are) is another room connected to the hall but it's closed of because of a door.
I'm thinking about misting the whole way to (and) the bathroom (itself) just to be sure.

Would these precautions be enough to minimize the chance of accidently transfering particles or anything unwanted?
Would these precautions be even enough?

I just really want to minimize the chance to infect the birds who are already living with me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Those are certainly the steps I would take.

It sounds like it would be enough, though I honestly don´t know if there is even any information available on exactly how fast/slow/easy it is for these diseases to spread between objects. I´m just not sure there is an answer.

@Hankmacaw @macawpower58 @Momo & Mido @sunnysmom

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The PDD virus does not live over 8hours outside it's host. That is not true with the PBFD virus, which is able to live without it's host for a year. I could not find information on the lifespan of the polyoma virus, but it's transmission is through direct contact with infected individuals or direct contact with infected feces.

Your precautions sound adequate to me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Your steps are the same I'd take in such a situation.