• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

would love a molluckan/ not sure cux of job

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I also want to add that mixing things up a bit every so often is a good thing.

This past week while hubby was in the hospital, our routine was a lot different...was at the hospital a lot and did not get home until later....Nani did fine...but once home, I let her sleep on her atom in the sunroom...so she was out all night, through our "shower time" and until I went to work the next day, or to the hospital....so altering the normal routine can help so these unexpected emergencies are less traumatic.

It also helps that Nani has a large cage, tv on, other birds in the room, and large windows to look out. I also have a dog walker that comes mid day who talks to the birds and gives them treats. It's a lot of planning, but honestly that is what it takes.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Judy, well said! Each bird no matter if it is a cockatoo or macaw each have their own personalit...you just need to be ready to accept and work with it....for life!
Absolutely! You just have to be ready for it, ready to accept it and work with it! Nicely said!

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
Every now and then we take a day trip over to Orlando. We feed and water them before we leave early in the morning. We have someone come in a few times during the day to let the dogs out and then to also feed them, but I ask that the birds not be messed with. They also get new food and water when we get home later on that night. They do really well. I have never had a problem with any of them if they don't get out for one day. I feel better knowing that while I am gone they are safely in their cages and would worry if I knew someone was coming in and getting them out. Besides that, the macaws and Too's and most of the smaller ones would not let anyone else handle them.

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
i appreciate the encouragement
and im already learning alot from u guys so i feel im in good hands
im getting my molluckan named lily on monday in pensylvania
she is avery sweet bird and seemed to take a liking to me.
her feathers are not in the best condition from the owner before the one im getting her from
but i think thier growing back slowly but surely and as long as its headed in the right direction im not to worried about that.
the owner that im adopting from loves his bird so much he is giving me lily along with a huge double macaw cage. He screened like a hundred peope but i think he chose me because i told him about my sucess with saltwater fish tanks. so this i think proved to him that im dedicated.
im terrible with taking pics but ill have one of my friends help me out so u guys can see my Lily.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Oh that is even better that you are adopting! Wonderful! I can't wait to see pics and remember that no matter how difficult and overwhelming it may seem, we are here to help you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you for adopting. :hug8:

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
thanks
guys
i literaly have teers in my eyes that your all so interested in my bird and ready to help an underdog

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
oh i also want to be clear that the owner im adopting her from did a great job
i dont want him to be confused with the owner before him
the guy that im getting her from. stopped her feather plucking to me that really sais something about the care he gave

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Brad, I can't wait to see pics of Lily! It sounds like her owner truely cares about her. That's great that she has such a huge cage. Remember, when she comes home to you she is going to be stressed. Sometimes this can cause birds to start to pluck again. Make sure you provide her with lots of busy toys and foraging sources. These really help to keep them busy.

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
thanks for the heads up
so if she staets plucking i wont panick

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Yeah today's the day! Remember, don't rush things...let her adjust to her new home and surroundings. Let her do things on her terms, not yours.

What an exciting day!

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) All I can say is I can't wait to hear and see more about lily.Thanks for rescuing a bird in need.:hug8:

Last edited:

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
i just came back from pa with lily
her cage is actualy a smaller one than the double macaw cage
i brout home her cage that shes used to, and the second cage is the larger double macaw cage. she seems to have plenty of room
but i guess i would still be better off keeping her in the much larger cage right?
i have been around maby 6 or 7 cockattoos in my life and she is the sweetest bird
she hasnt shown any aggression to anyone not even strangers. i cant imagine she ever would since shes so sweet.

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
oh sorry if i wasnt clear i have the two cages with me so i could always transition her to the larger cage if u think that would be better.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
We would LOVE to see pics of her! I am so happy that you decided to adopt!:hug8:

I dont know many cages that are bigger than a double macaw cage. I wouldnt keep her in any smaller cage. But pics of both cages and ofcourse the lovely Lily would be great!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
she hasnt shown any aggression to anyone not even strangers. i cant imagine she ever would since shes so sweet.
When I go to a strange place I am always polite and on my best behavior with strangers.

Once I'm comfortable and know those "strangers" and the new place becomes "home" I let my hair down and become my cranky old self.

The bird you see today is not the same bird you are going to see 3 months from now. I'm not saying she will become aggressive but I'm not saying she won't either. She "will" change from what you see today. I hope it's all good but don't put money on it just yet. :)

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Congrats on bringing home your new M2....I would definitely go with the largest cage...I upraded four times within a few months before finally getting the one Nani is in now!

When I rehomed my CAG Chopper, he stepped right up to me and let me pet him...he was so sweet for maybe a week..never lunged or bit...and then it all changed! he showed his true self...spunky, independent, etc...and I need to watch out as he will turn on me so fast!

I hope this doesn't happen with Lily, just be prepared and stay on guard. She sounds so sweet....hope she will stay that way! ;) Post some pics when you can!

brad

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
brad
ill diedinately keep an eye out
i just cant believe her temperment for all that she went through
i could tell by her feathers that she had some ruff times
i promis some pics later in the week
thursday is mt weekly poker game and one of the guys is really good with digital cameras so im sure he will help me as long as i dont take to much of his mony during the game

catnloco

Sprinting down the street
When I go to a strange place I am always polite and on my best behavior with strangers.

Once I'm comfortable and know those "strangers" and the new place becomes "home" I let my hair down and become my cranky old self.

The bird you see today is not the same bird you are going to see 3 months from now. I'm not saying she will become aggressive but I'm not saying she won't either. She "will" change from what you see today. I hope it's all good but don't put money on it just yet. :)
VERY VERY well put like always John. Remember Brad to ALWAYS be on guard with this bird. The Moluccan Cockatoo is THE most complicated and complex Cockatoo of them all. They are NOTHING like an Umbrella cockatoo. Moluccan Cockatoos are thinkers they plan things first where an Umbrella is a act first and think about it later kinda cockatoo. Moluccan's change their minds in a split second we refer to them as Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde's for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.