• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Would like to start Clicker training

Kat

Meeting neighbors
I would like to start clicker training with my two cockatoos. Both are male, an umbrella (Loki) and a medium sulphur crested (Thor). This would be mostly for fun and mental stimulation for them. They really are very good little birds, so I'm not really looking to correct an undesirable behavior. Thor, I think would respond very well to clicker training and he is very food/treat oriented. He already will claw his way through hell for a bit of ginger snap lol. I expect Thor to pick up clicker training in no time.

My problem that I've been considering involves Loki. He really is not so food/treat oriented, so I'm not sure how to begin with him. Has anyone else clicker trained a bird similarly and seemingly uninterested in filling his tummy? lol

Thanks,
Kat

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My Goffin is quite non-food oriented.
But he really goes for a drama reward.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I had a really hard time finding something my GCC would go for. She likes millet, and if you just hold the spray up, you have some further protection for your hands. Good luck. It is a wonderful bonding exp. and btw, there is a sticky on this forum under training. Maybe 5-6 lessons?

williwanka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
william
If your two cockatoos are bonded or like following each other around. loki might copy what thor does thats what happened with my two birds.