• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Worried about flight feathers

Pippy IR

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Nicole
Hi All,
I’ve tried to find posts of similar feather issues, but haven’t found anything the matches exactly. My Indian Ringneck finished a molt probably a few months ago, which was usual. She’s about three years old. I’ve noticed recently her chest seems a bit dishevelled at times. But now she seems to be having constant problems with her flight feathers, they look splintered for want of a better term, and I can see her trying to get them out, but she seems to be struggling. She’s a vain princess and as such a thorough groomer. I know feather issues can be signs of underlying health issues. So for a bit of background, I don’t clip her, and I work from home, so she’s an avid explorer and loves to show off by flying around. Because of this I pay close attention to her weight, she is skinny, but she has always hovered around 114g and this hasn’t changed. She doesn’t like showers, but continues to enjoy bathing in her water bowl. She is also eating fine, corn her favourite, other fruits and veg, pellets as her staple and nuts, sunflower and millet as treats to keep her weight up. There’s also no noticeable change in her droppings. 01228050-83B8-4529-B2C7-1CEA74C80609.jpeg 4E7AFCA7-D2EE-4698-879C-01C1F699BB6B.jpeg 63C66803-5394-4977-A21C-1632483EC2B4.jpeg Does anyone have any idea what’s happening, I’m reluctant to clip them off in case it makes the damage to the shaft worse. Pics attached.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The front definitely looks like feather destructive behavior (plucking, barbering, etc).

I'd do a vet visit to rule out any medical issues