• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wormville

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
@Shezbug
this is the daily waste. Is the nutriberries crumbs mess in the pink bucket suitable for the worms? I separated the clean waste food without pellets and crumbs on top of the stove, I’m going to have 4 lbs of worms. Can I give them the stuff from the pink bucket too? Or just the clean food?

55A02172-7E84-4CFA-87A2-E850466C3225.jpeg 54B45A09-773C-4C1E-B474-EEEA0D9F1720.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:ups:

718FEDD7-05DB-4357-A701-B015584FDA87.jpeg C08A1238-5FF6-4274-879A-67FA7E10393F.jpeg

I have to fill it 3/4 full with bedding. Instructions say use two bags of commercial compost but worm lady says not. I have 11 dry coir bricks like the two soaking. 20 gallon bin. Each brick makes 2 1/4 gallon bedding. @Shezbug bedding good enough?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
They do like coir but don’t forget your food SCRAPS... they don’t need or want fresh bunches of grapes- they want your rubbish food.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
They do like coir but don’t forget your food SCRAPS... they don’t need or want fresh bunches of grapes- they want your rubbish food.
Got a steady supply thanks to the birds!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
It’s all set up! :loveshower:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Poor ventilation. Will drill the holes bigger. Will that be sufficient @Shezbug ? nestcam offline tonight

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
The small worm bin was lined with cardboard layers and it was all soggy and a bunch of fat worms were in it munching it! When I dumped it in the big bin they scurried under. I covered it with damp burlap and I peeked under and worms pulled back into the dark.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Poor ventilation. Will drill the holes bigger. Will that be sufficient @Shezbug ? nestcam offline tonight
Better to have lots of smaller holes- you don’t want stuff falling out.
They sound happy enough from your description of being in the cardboard... was that on the very bottom?
They do love cardboard (roll some into tubes and bury them then check them about a week later lol) and the dark so they sound like they should be very happy, hopefully soon you’ll start to notice food scraps and paper disappearing and nice castings replacing it.
You can (instead of misting all the time) run a fair bit of water (a few litres) through every now and then and use the water that runs off as fertiliser, just water it down more first. The water has to be able to run off though.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Better to have lots of smaller holes- you don’t want stuff falling out.
They sound happy enough from your description of being in the cardboard... was that on the very bottom?
They do love cardboard (roll some into tubes and bury them then check them about a week later lol) and the dark so they sound like they should be very happy, hopefully soon you’ll start to notice food scraps and paper disappearing and nice castings replacing it.
You can (instead of misting all the time) run a fair bit of water (a few litres) through every now and then and use the water that runs off as fertiliser, just water it down more first. The water has to be able to run off though.
Thanks for the info. Yes there is a screen in the bottom and water from the weight of moist coir has been running out. The shredded paper that I added to the bin last week was eaten into itty bitty bits! Yes the cardboard was on the bottom and extremely wet and they were loving it! I’ll add coffee grounds and banana peel tonight.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Well well well! They love the damp burlap! It’s folded into two and they are weaving themselves in the lower layer! The cardboard worms are still in there because it’s covered and they were slithering and wriggling when I peeked under the burlap. I hope they didn’t mind moist coffee grounds smushed up with banana peels and steamed leftover sweet potatoes and smushed peas being dumped on them :huh:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Ok I have a plan for the wormville cam. The girls painstakingly removed the woven in worms from the burlap and I discarded it for now. We drilled two dozen holes in the lid for ventilation. Lid is now closed and worms are on the surface eating. I need to go to Lowe’s to pick up the 2 1/2” hole saw I ordered. Hopefully in an hour. I’m very optimistic we’re going to get an optimal field of view.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Mashed banana and coffee grounds with water, plopped it in the center. Coffee addicts! The worms I mean :roflmao:

D1388D83-01CD-46CD-B986-46AADC808FE1.jpeg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Eric said it looks like a cross section of smoker’s lung :roflmao:
we see the wriggling wormies!:bounce3: