• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wont Play With Toys

Lorenzo19

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
My Green Cheek Conure won't play with toys! :(My bird will only chew up his Kabob, and every day in the morning I place a Nutriberrie in his Plastic Foraging ball and he'll look for it, but there isn't anything else he'll play with. He has paper toys, bell toys, wood toys, paper foraging toys, and he won't play with them. Is there anything that you would recommend doing or a toy that he might get interested in that you would recommend? I also have little wood foot toys and he isn't interested in those either.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So I would start off by looking for similar things for him to do. He likes to shred yucca, so other materials I'd try would be balsa, sola, mahogany pods, and cork.

He also likes foraging, so I would get more foraging toys :) Some ideas:

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Foraging is how Monaco started to explore other toys. I tasked @Mizzely with choosing toys for her, and she did a fabulous job! It's taken 5 months to get low on things, and it's so satisfying to see her really go for a good chew on something. It might help to use the skewer method to incorporate chewing items (cork and Sola) in between foraging cups and/or food items... The proximity seems to help.

Good luck!

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
My gcc is the same way , I just keep trying specially with foraging he does it for a bit then after he finds his treat is over lol

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Maybe you could play with those toys in front of her. This is how I introduced Edgar to toys. He also didn't know how to play. Now he plays when outside, but in his cage he plays only with one cardboard toy, which he destroys very quickly so I have to make him a new one every few days. He touches his other toys in the cage only if his favourite one is destroyed and I didn't change it for a new one yet.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Linnie loves sola toys. It's a soft wood that is easy to destroy so very entertaining. I'm sure the vendors here have some choices and also Super bird Creations has some that my Gigi likes. Here's a favorite.

ref=sr_1_116

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
My bird (budgie) also doesn't care for toys! Sometimes I worry about it and sometimes I don't. His mate loved toys that she could rip apart. Her favorite was a yucca chip toy which she would reduce to shreds within a week! She liked other shreddable toys too. She would climb, stretch her neck, get herself in precarious positions, learned how to swing something so it would come back to her and she could catch it... just to play.
However my male will only touch a toy if it happens to be right next to where he's sitting. Even then he'll just nibble at it for a few seconds, or tap his beak against it while he sings. There's no way he'll put effort in just to play with a toy (though he will do it for food so I sometimes hang treats in precarious spots to make him work/think for it).

Sometimes I feel worried it means he's not getting enough enrichment, but honestly I think it's mostly just a matter of personality. I know he knows how to use toys because he watched her and sometimes played with her--but never for as long or as enthusiastically as she did. BUT on the flip side, he loves to fly. He will fly around the room just for fun and has impressed every vet he's seen with his flying skills (he has quite good endurance, agility and precision for a pet). My female, on the other hand, only used flying as a means of transportation, had trouble landing in the right place, and preferred to just climb unless she was following him. Also she would chirp sometimes, but not like him. He loves to sing and chatter! He also enjoys looking out the window and just observing everything around him, which she never much bothered with.

So, I still give him some toys, but not as many as I did when she was alive. I offer them but don't really try to push it. As alternate mental and physical enrichment, I try to cater to HIS preferred activities. I give him varied sounds to sing to, and talk to him a lot (he doesn't say actual English words but his vocal repertoire continues to increase, regularly adding new sounds). He has a play stand by the window so he can watch people/cars/trees/squirrels/birds (if I don't open the blinds early enough for his liking then he will remind me). He has more perches than toys (on the outside of his cage so he has different landing and singing sites---different shapes, materials, etc..) And I let him stay out of his cage all day so he can fly whenever he feels like it! (Don't worry...I do put him in his cage for bedtime)

Since he doesn't care for toys I also keep an extra close eye on his beak to make sure it doesn't get overgrown...but although he ignores actual toys he does enjoy chewing on perches occasionally, so it hasn't been an issue.

I think parrots have such varied personalities... and maybe just like some humans have hobbies that others don't care for, the birds don't all enjoy the same things to the same extent either.

If your bird doesn't seem interested in anything at all you might see a vet. If he's active but not too interested (which sounds like the situation since he's willing to forage) you can just try as many types of things as you can until you find something he enjoys more.