• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wondering about scaley face mites

Birdiegirl

Moving in
Real Name
Rhonda
I'm new to this forum but not to an assortment of birds over the past 25 years. Currently I have 7 birds ranging from Zebra Finches to Love Birds. I have also done some rehabilitation of domestic and also wild birds. I've been down to the local pet store where I frequently go into the pet room and look at the birds. It's everchanging all the time. A couple months back, I noticed one of the Parakeets in a small cage, separated from the others. It appeared normal looking but I could tell that it didn't feel well. I asked about it and they said it had Scaley Face Mites. Not knowing what that was (you learn as you go with birds, I find) I looked it up on the internet. Awful condition! A month went by and I visited again. This time I could faintly see the crusting across the cere. I went in there a few days ago and the crusting has progressed across the cere and along the edges of the side of the mouth and beginning to affect the skin there. I couldn't see any crusted areas on her legs or wings or anywhere else. I talked to the little girl and she looked at me and squinted her eyes. My other birds do that when they know I'm sweet talking at them. She seems to be a sweetheart. I asked the store owner what they were doing for the mite and he said they were using Scalex for it but that it was not helping. It's an ok little pet store and I've been going in there for years. I can't say that I fully believe they are treating this little one and if they are then I suspect that they're not doing it consistently. I think they really are just more interested in making money rather than saving the bird. So there she sits in that cage, being eaten alive. I've had "Keets" (as I call them) before and am thinking I could take this little one to my Vet for Ivermectin and whatever else is needed and put her in my back room (I call it the hospital room-- is where I quarantine all new birds). Then run the gambit of treatment on the mites for the length of time it takes to get rid of them. I'll do whatever I need to do for however long it takes. So . . . any opinions on all this? And also, does anyone out there have experience with these mites . . . about how long does it take to get a Parakeet through all this. Also, I figure to alternate her cage with another cage once a week so I can take the infested cage and disinfect it and get it ready for her next cage switchover. Doing this to ensure a clean environment, free of any critters crawling around inside the cage. What do you think would be the best thing to use to disinfect the cages? Thanks for all your help. I see this as a new learning experience for me and a chance to save a new little friend from a terrible fate. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for wanting to help this baby, I would certainly talk to your vet and see how much the store wants for her. Hopefully the entire budgie flock isn't infected.

Birdiegirl

Moving in
Real Name
Rhonda
The owner has had the place for several years and greets me by name. We spoke about the bird and it sounds like he is willing to give it to me-- he says he would'nt sell it to anyone. I'll offer to purchase the cage it's in right now so it doesn't have to be shuffled around and stressed more than it already is. Planning to make all the arrangements and then go directly to my Vet right from the pet shop when I get the bird. Already setting up my quarantine room for her arrival. I did take a look at the other birds in the room with it. Even though they are in separate cages away from this little one, I don't know if those mites can jump off this one and onto them or crawl off this bird and crawl over to the other birds cages. I didn't see anything that looked like any of the other birds were infected-- Cockatiels, Parakeets and Canarys.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are so very sweet to take the budgie!! :hug8:What a lucky girl she is!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It's so wonderful that you're helping this little bird. Keep us posted.

Birdiegirl

Moving in
Real Name
Rhonda
Update on Sunny the Parakeet: Two weeks ago I rescued Sunny from the local pet shop. Picked her/him up and went directly to the Vet. Sunny's Cere had been eaten off of her face, leaving only her nose holes. The mites had done a number on her beak, leaving it jagged edged, damaged and cracked on one side. They continued over the front of her face leaving raw skin and no feathers, and moved toward her eyes. Her legs and feet were covered with mites who had also eaten off ...two of her toes. The area around her vent was also afflicted. Basically she was infested all over! Vet gave her the first of 3 doses of Ivermectin to kill the adult mites. She is also on antibiotics. Will take at least 6 weeks to get her through this. Her face is permanently disfigured but her nostrils are clear and she does have good use of her beak in spite of the damage. First week at home in quarantine, she was very quiet and especially terrified of my hands. One cool day I came into the room with a dark colored hat on and she totally freaked out-- slamming her little body about the cage. I removed the hat and she suddenly stopped. I think maybe someone with dark hair terrorized her. I have much "damage control" ahead of me. Second week she started to call out to my other birds who are on the other side of the house. And so we are slowly making progress. She needs lots of love and special care-- she has come to the right place for that!

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor thing! So glad she's in your care now! :hug8:

Shame on that petstore for leaving her like that for so long! It must've been very long to have so much damage done.

Birdiegirl

Moving in
Real Name
Rhonda
Thank you JosienBB. Once I get her through all of this I'll put her in a larger cage with lots of toys and more perches. Right now she's in a small cage with one perch and a mirror tray. The room she's in has a window where she can watch the other birds as they come into the yard. It's quiet in there since it's quarantined but at least she won't be very bored. When she is well, she will be placed in the room where my other birds are at. Already have the spot picked out. Just waitin' on her. Yes, I know what you mean about the pet store. I don't know how well the pet stores where you are take care of their animals but I worked in a large well known chain of pet store here for a while. Part of my job was to take care of the animals and the birds (cage cleaning, feeding and all). I can tell you that I was unimpressed with the management's attitudes about the care of the animals, especially the sick ones. Basically, they really just didn't want to deal with it. Fortunately, I know a bit about animal rehab and first aid and was able to help many of them. But mostly, it seems that the pet stores (at least the one where I worked) are only interested in making money (over the welfare of the animals). Sad but true. Anyway, I don't work at that pet store anymore.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
What an awesome story!!! Thank you for helping her out!! Would love pics when you can :p

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't recommend mirrors for birds, since birds don't often know it's their reflection, which can result in abnormal behaviors that are not healthy.

Just because a bird freaks out over an object doesn't mean that they've had a bad experience with something like that in the past. Objects that are new and different, as simple as a different shape, it's location, or even it's color can freak birds out. Heck, even the reflection of something shiny on the wall can be enough to freak a bird out and send them into panic mode! Animals can be strange like that.

Regardless, it's great that she's getting treated and being taken care of! Would be nice to see some pictures of her, especially showing her progress back to great health! :)