• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

WILLIE my precious gift, and companion: NOV 17 1988 - AUG 1 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williebird

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Les
WILLIE my precious gift, and companion: NOV 17 1988 - AUG 1 2010
Willie always knew he wanted me to be his companion. That fateful day at the pet store, with his 2 sisters he revealed his enthusiasm. He jumped up on my arm, mesmerized by the white strap of my summer wrist watch. He was picking me from the crowd as his adopted buddy.
Running around the pen with all the other birds, in the communal enclosure, he was unique, He had a partial, if nearly missing tail, broken from all the scrapes and running on the ground. He was after all still a baby. Only 8 months but he knew he wanted me. My heart melted. Even at this early age he was muttering in a cute childlike voice. Willie, Willie, Willie. How could I adopt this sweet bundle of green.
It took maxing out 2 credit cards, and borrowing a carrier but it happened.
The first vet visit was reassuring for me and traumatic for poor baby Willie. The broken tail feathers, which outnumbered the normally grown ones, had to come out. They would grow back, but a parrot with NO Tail? The stumped little guy was so sweet.
Learning all about parrots was an intense focus for many weeks, months and years. We became palls. Boy did we discover all sorts of goodies. Peaches were wonderful, onions were not. Strawberry yoghurt was a special treat, blueberry yoghurt was not. Blueberries however were delicious.
How we discovered his love of chicken wings, I don’t recall, all I know was he knew that the marrow was the delicious and most nutritious part. All sorts of discoveries came on a regular basis. We had many training sessions. Singing came naturally, but whistling was his forte. You could not out whistle this guy. He was Hello to everyone, even passing dogs. The more curious cats, would get a beak on the tail, they knew better than to mess with Willie.
Willie had favourites, and thru the years he would come to adore, Grandma, (who wouldn’t with all the treats that came his way). He knew how to work a room, the begging and the carrying on came naturally.
Cuddles became a ritual, Every evening his cuddles would be given either while watching TV , in HIS green chair, or sitting on a warm shoulder surfing the internet. He loved the warmth, and cuddles. He knew when to say the perfect response, “GOOD BOY” always touched me, always made me feel his love.
Twenty One and a half wonderful years, half my life I woke to the glorious fussing and carryings on of my little green chicken. Twenty One and a half wonderfully years, I would get a sweet goodnight upon covering up my little buddy for bed. He would great me upon return from work, at the end of the day.
I don’t understand what happened, overnight, but when I uncovered him, he was not his usual self. I was not able to help my little pal, I was powerless. I was to witness my sweet Willie’s demise.
Later that afternoon he muttered, not his cute signature Willie, Willie, Willie but the sorrowful , painful murmur of death. My sweet little buddy. I was there, cuddling you and you breathed you last.
My life has been enriched. I will remember you FOREVER.

Attachments

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I am so sorry....Beautiful bird and much loved.:hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am so sorry for your loss Willie sounds like he was a wonderful bird :hug8:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Hi Les, welcome to our forum. :hug8: What a beautiful tribute to your beautiful Willie. I am sorry that he has flown to rainbow bridge. How fortunate that you had so many wonderful years together. I know nothing can ease your pain. Willie will forever be your angel and be watching over you. :hug8:

Attachments

Williebird

Real Name
Les
Thank You Billie, It means so much to have your understanding. In my grief I found this wonderful site. The pain of my loss is almost unbearable.

I just found out the results of the necropsy. Willie was healthy to the last minute except for the mild heart attack and hardened arteries that took him MUCH TOO SOON.

birdlover82

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :(

Williebird

Real Name
Les
I really appreciate your kind words. It really helps. Chris, such wonderful buddies Tango, and Jasper, and Pat, your clan, Carlos Mango, and Tequila. All treasures

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
So sorry that you lost such a dear friend. What a great story.
I am also sorry that we meet on such sad terms, but glad you found your way to Avian Avenue.:hug8:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Les i am so, so sorry for your loss. Willie sounds like he was a special little guy, and you were lucky to have him. :hug8:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I am sorry for your loss :hug8:. Willie was beautiful. He lived a wonderful like with you and he is flying free now.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I'm so sorry for your loss. Of course nothing will ease the pain but time, but do take solace that there are many of us here who understand how you're hurting. :hug8:

Riley's mom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cindy
What a wonderful and touching story about a good friend. He was so beautiful. I'm sorry for your loss.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aw- I am so sorry!:( I know that Willie knew he was loved very deeply. I am glad that you found Avian Avenue. We all understand the pain you are going through because of Willie's passing.

lzver

Real Name
Laura
Les, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your beautiful tribute to Willie brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine the loss you're feeling right now especially with it happening so suddenly.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
Les, I am so very sorry for your loss. What a wonderful companion he was to you. His story brought tears to my eyes. Fly free Willie

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am so sorry for your loss :( , such a fitting tribute to a beautiful soul

Fly free sweet Willie

:hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:( I'm so sorry!

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
What a wonderful tribute! I am leaking all over the place. So sorry for your loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.