• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will I ever be loved?

SassyNuggs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Holly
Hello! Hoping for some advice. I'm a relatively new bird owner, I've cared for many feral birds in my time but have just came into having a Fischer's Lovebird. The pet shop that she came from isn't the best, and their birds are often in cramped conditions the size of a shoebox with one perch. The bird was on its own, as the other two lovebirds it was with had been sold. It looked really stressed and I felt obligated to give the baby a home after much desire to have a bird myself anyway.

As far as I know she was born in December 2020, and though the sex is unknown I am assuming she is a she. I've had her since July of this year.

She was very frightened of me and my partner at first and would dart about her cage to be as far away as possible. Over time we've gotten closer and we can put our heads against the cage and she's fine, and if we poke our fingers through she comes for a nibble. We can put our hands in the cage with seeds and she'll happily take them but will not stand on our hands. She'll investigate our hands through nibbling but has never stood on them.

We find it difficult letting her out as we struggle to get her back in. If we have five hours spare we let her out and by the end of that time she'll be hungry enough to go back to her bowl, but outside of that we can't go anywhere near her when she's out. She only wants to be on high areas like curtain rails.

I feel like so little progress is being made with hand-taming and I don't know what more we can do. It's maybe just a gradual slowburn process, but I feel like I've hit a brick wall. I know she's had a traumatic start being grabbed in boxes and thrown into unusual situations.

SassyNuggs

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Holly
I'll reiterate as well, nearly every day she is presented with hands. I don't know what the next step is or should be.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello Holly, Welcome to the Avenue :)

I think that in three months, you have made great progress. Parrots are not like cats and dogs, and given that your bird may have had a poor start in life, for her to trust you to take food from your hand is a big deal.

I know how difficult it is to get an ¨untame¨ bird back in their cage, but trust me it will get easier as she settles in to your home and she is more comfortable around you.

Keep doing the things you are doing, offering foods she likes, talking calmly to her, allowing out of cage time as often as you can. Do your best to make every interaction a positive one so the trust builds.