• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will a Parrot preen a plucked feather (i.e. after it is detached)?

Yonads

Sitting on the front steps
I have 2 Quakers, male and female, in the process of bonding (i.e. recently introduced, very fond of each other).
They show all the signs of health, happiness and getting along - and they preen each other all the time.
I have never seen any signs of feather plucking in either of them.
Yesterday, I saw one with a detached feather in its claw, holding it, and preening it as if it were still attached.
I have seen no other plucking behavior since.
So, the question is, would a parrot preen a detached plucked feather? Could it be that a feather came loose and the he or she (not sure which one it was) continued preening it?
Or is that standard plucking behavior - pluck the feather out and then continue to preen it?
Or do they pluck and drop the feathers?
TIA for any input

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
I’ve seen my birds play with and preen dropped feathers, my parrotlet Ed destroys them if you hand him a feather lol

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
If it is a single feather or one is just training after it’s loose I would not worry they like to play with them it Could be just A molted feather if they have a lot of fluffy feathers without covering or a bare spot I would say it’s plucking and then I would take it to an avian vet to rule out physical causes and go from there I have had five pluckers I am experienced with this

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My bird will also preen and play with a freshly molted feather. I wouldn't worry that this is plucking. Plucking is complicated, with a few pluckers I know the birds got obsessive with ripping the tips of their feathers off. They have feather destructive tendencies. This then leads to more damage, ripping whole feathers out or even damaging their own skin.

From what you explained I think your bird just dropped a feather naturally and is playing with it. Don't panic :)

Continue to pay attention and if you see true feather destructive behaviour a vet visit is the first step. Plucking is not always emotional sometimes it is a symptom of underlying health issues.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, when mine lose a feather they were just preening they like to twirl it in their beak a bit, or in Mabel's case, hold it with her feet, preen it then drop it on the floor and watch it fall :laughin:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The face when they watch them fall is priceless. Pi has this look of curious amazement. Not sure if he is thinking, wow I made that...or wow gravity!
It's so funny! Anytime anything falls Mabel side eyes it really intensely, especially if she can make a noise by dropping something!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret plays with her feather once it comes out. I've even seen her use it to scratch herself!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yep Ripley will often preen them or use them to scratch a hard to reach place!