• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Will a loud dog cause stress?

Jasmyn

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jasmyn Casillas
I’m currently getting a bird, specifically a white ring-neck dove, though I don’t think this matters, one of the top things it says to provide is a quiet, stress-free environment, the problem is we do have a mini pinscher in our house. I plan to have someone take the dog out so when we bring the bird in, it won’t be directly barked at, from there I’ll be keeping the bird within my room upstairs, my concern is this dog barks everytime someone comes inside or super close to the door and can be heard in my room even when all doors are closed. So how loud is too loud for a bird?

Tldr; Will a loud dog who barks quite a bit on a daily basis cause too much stress for a bird especially in its first days?

Gazimon

Sprinting down the street
Moving any bird to a new environment causes stress, but what you can do is try to minimize the stress. Try to close the doors so that while the bird is getting used to its new place, it can hear the dog but its not as loud. Or consider confining the dog to a room for a few days if the bird's cage is to be placed in a more communal area. The idea is to get the bird to settle in within the location that it will live in the long term, so putting it away in say... a study room is not useful if you're going to transfer it to another room later on; it just restarts the process coz the bird feels like its in a new environment again. Placing the cage high up at table height or higher would also give them space from the dog.

Personally I would not get a dove with a dog if the dog is the highly excitable type; as the bird may feel stressed from the constant threat of a predator. Even a parrot might feel stressed, but at least some parrots have more resilient personalities and are equipped with a sharp beak. Doves would be far less equipped to deal with the perceived predator and may be more stressed. If you still want a dove, consider getting another to keep it company? Be it in separate or same cage.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I think a new bird would definitely be stressed by a barking dog. Not sure how to get around it other than to soundproof your bird room and play soft classical music.

That said, my two dogs (shepherd mix and chihuahua mix) can bark up a storm on occasion. But I got them long after I got my CAG, so they grew up as puppies into adults around her.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
My birds don't really seem to mind the dogs barking. They actually started mimicking the noises their squeaky toys make to instigate them to bark. :facepalm:

That being said, doves are more delicate than lovebirds. Mine were used to dogs before coming here. Maybe you can look for a breeder who has both birds and dogs? As long as you don't let your dog and bird play together, you should be okay, especially if they are on different floors.