• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Parrots of S. Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
It's not just the wild blue and golds; Roelant took amzazing photos of pionus, chestnut fronts, mitred, conures, budgies, etc. Who knew that there are thousands of different kinds of feral parrots in large numbers in Miami. The World Parrot Count is outstanding. Go to http://www.flickr.com/photos/parrots/sets/72157626765688572/ All were taken this week when he came early to shoot the macaaws before his upsoming lecture at the Biltmore this weekend for the International Parrot Symposium

Last edited by a moderator:

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I would love to see the pictures but the link doesn't take me to them.

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
I fixed the link hopefully it works and everyone can see these beautiful shots!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Wow, I always hear about them but it is great seeing them! They sure look happy. I only see nanday conures around here, and the occasional quaker. We have 100s of nandays in the trees and power lines at a local flea market in town here, they sure are loud! They hang out with the grackles and are pretty shy. It is very cool to see all the birds not far from me!

I guess from all the outdoor aviaries, and hurricanes, there are so many escaped birds. And Fl is one of the only places they can survive all year around and they only have hawks and other big birds to worry about. It is very cool to know they always find another of the same species or even a whole flock. Very cool!

TITANIS

Biking along the boulevard
Extremely interesting. It seems there are sufficient numbers of escaped parrots for them to congregate in flocks of their own species. What I'm wondering is why there aren't any more native species of parrots (besides the extirpated TBP and extinct Carolina Parakeet) when it is apparent that parrots do well in Florida and other states where the climate permits?

Willow's Mommy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
LaVera
Gosh those are incredible photos. Thanks for sharing them.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
:omg: what beautiful pictures. I will be in Miami the end of Oct. I hope I get a chance to see some

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Those are beautiful pictures!

Matt

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
That is amazing! I had no idea there were so many different "wild" species of parrot in Florida. The macaws at the little songbird feeder are cute. :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
absolutely wonderful phtos...

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
wow beautiful shots.

daria

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daria Feinstein
Magni and Chantel- Anytime you want to see the blue and golds in my backyard ,just PM me. At least 7 come everyday in early AM and usually around 6 PM. Don't forget - the Audubon's Parrot Field Trip is always the first Saturday in Dec. and you'll get to see all these different parrots and take your own pics for posting too.

Status
Not open for further replies.