• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wild Baby bird found on floor

Caiqueguy

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys I just found a native baby bird and the best choice right now is most definitely to bring to a rehabilitation center, but I don't know where any are or if the accept small birds. If I'm in Nj does any one know where there would be any places to bring it. The bird is in a condition if shock and closes it's eyes a lot. I just found it but I do not know how long it's been out there, if it's dehydrated etc. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Caiqueguy

Meeting neighbors
Im trying to hydrate him with a syringe, and feed him with chopped up worms but he doesn't really want to due to his shock.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can drip sugar water off your finger into it's mouth. Do not try to force water down it's throat. You can also hard boil an egg and mash up the yolk to a runny yogurt consistence and drip that off your finger also.

Here's a list of rehabbers in NJ.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/rehab_list.pdf

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great advice Ginger :)

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
make sure to wash your hands carefully after handling this little one? some times they are kicked out of the nest if they are sick.

Caiqueguy

Meeting neighbors
Since I have two other birds I am a little paranoid about them catching anything from the chick. Is it ok if all three of them are in the house, like in separate rooms or would the garage be better?? I am also washing my hands a lot.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
As long as you wash your hands you should be fine.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
We fed the tiny female house finch we rescued from a crow baby parrot formula and she thrived on it. We still have a tube of it in the freezer in case another baby ever shows up or Lurch gets really sick and needs to be fed before we take him in, which has never happened but best to be prepared as things happen at the worst times.
I'd try that, be careful not to overheat it or aspirate the baby accidently getting it down into his lungs.
Good luck, hope he does OK in your care or wherever he ends up.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i have fed baby wild babies on Baby rice cereal, baby strained fruit and a little bit ground up pellets.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wishing you luck. I went through the same thing a couple months ago, but it was a crow. I fed it puppy chow soaked in apple juice and water and then mushed so it could be sucked up in a syringe.

KimKim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Keep an eye out for the parents, they might still be around. Again, good luck!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well with Beeper the finch crow flew to our roof with two babies to eat and we managed to make him let go of her long enough to run away and her sibling wasn't as lucky so no parents to be found.
Great news about the Lil guy. We did help a ground nester I found after I weedwacked the nest in the blackberries. We fed him the baby formula and his moms stayed close by and did the broken wing thing when we looked at her. Held him up so mama could see him and put him in the half barrel of strawberries. They fed him several days then he jumped out and hid in the bushes and got fed for the rest of the summer. :highfive: