• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why the caged bird does not sing.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
MY flock is about even, 1/2 re-home, (1 rescue) and 1/2 came as babies. Guess that puts me somewhere in the middle of "perpetuating the cycle" and "dysfunctional". I'm always wary of anything I read that leaves little room for interpretation other than the author's point of view. I'm also aware of the "anti breeder" and those who buy from them tendencies here, not everyone for sure and I've also noticed the softening of those posts. I don't think I've ever introduced a new member of my flock who is a baby. However, I think we should remember that without breeders many of our species might eventually cease to exist. And I would think it goes without saying that the mistreatment, torture, neglect, abuse of any living creature is just plain wrong with the result being depression, suicide, self mutilation, PTSD, inability to relate or show emotions with poor prognosis diagnosis. Common sense? I would think so. And I think it also goes without saying that anyone who is a member here does everything in their power and abilities to give their birds the best possible lives they can. I just read an article about a "planned burn" that would destroy natural habitat and not in this country either. Parrots are here, their original homelands are disintegrating, their numbers depleting with many species, (Last Spix Macaw just died at 40 in the wild, but was well known as a friendly guy and would be greatly missed....think I missed something there he sounds pretty tame, tongue in cheek)

It's the reality I see around me, and it's awful many people buy parrots on impulse only to relinquish them later on. I'm trying to find a life insurance policy that will provide for my birds (in my daughter's care) should the unexpected happen and she isn't able to provide for them financially. That's not dysfunctional that's responsible. Hoping the day comes when the responsible, caring flock leaders far out number the impulse, status seeker bird buyers.

Many of our birds have the intelligence of young children and the emotions that go along with that intelligence. Hoping the world catches up before these new laws threaten even their existence in private homes.

Last edited:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
May I ask which Spix's Macaw you're referring to? The last one in the wild disappeared many years ago after his mate was found dead. She was a re-release. All Spixs macaws, with the exception of that last one - who eluded capture, had been trapped and sold to collectors. According to "Spix's Macaw" by Toni Juniper.

"might eventually cease to exist"

...as opposed to existing as perpetually captive. I don't think of that as a great option for an animal who's adaptive threshold is exceeded by such a situation. I ask myself, considering the Cuban Macaw, am I really missing it? What's the other option? Would I enjoy reading how this bird is being trapped for the pet trade, hybridized, caged and going mental? It's a tough one. But I think that captive breeding for conservation purposes or reintroduction is something that anti-breeders are not against. Also, if their habitat is disappearing we've got bigger problems in terms of the health and cleanliness of this planet as well as our future resource needs.

"Common sense? I would think so. "

I'd love to think so as well. But in the case of parrots I think it's more complicated in a creature who's nature is largely ignored or misunderstood. For example,

"Guilt is not a bad emotion. It's the basis of morality and always precedes remorse and repentance - without which, there would be no change. It's the force that has moved animal husband reery and the cruelty laws forward. If more people felt guilty about the way we treat animals, the animals themselves would have much better lives."

I want to steal this quote....LOL. I believe that this is the heart of what Pamela Clark is trying to convey. Consider all the threads that have been started by someone asking "do you feel guilty." They are common on parrot forums. I think that when people reply "no" for various reasons such as "my bird has no worries in captivity," and the like, they are not understanding their parrots nature in the way I eluded to above. For example, although you use the term "flock leader" as a role the human should assume there hasn't been any field research validating such a role within a flock. I also think that emerging studies which usually conflict with the desire to keep them captive are met with hostility by many. I embrace and welcome studies because its a more accurate way to give animals a voice. We need to consider that, regardless of personal verbage (fids, fabies, companions, etc.) these animals were captured. The ancestors of the ones we keep and breed (without consent) were captured. In addition, their devotion to us is in large part influenced by our hand-rearing which influences their imprinting process. Just like a baby duckling that bonds to the first living being it sees as it's "parent." Which, in turn, is why many altricial birds may display courtship behaviors toward a favored human, or chose a human to dislike for no particular reason or that would'nt involve any breach of trust, etc. I think there are plenty of pets out there less complex who can fulfill the needs we have as well as fit within the more basic care needs that the average home is limited to providing for.

Last edited:

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
The story about the Spix Macaw is on sky grid , recently dying at approx 40 yrs of age. - National Geographic and Discovery Channel both covered it.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Wow....Presley died! That's news to me. But, he was the last found "captive" bird at 25 years old and in bad condition (noone was sure whether he could even breed at that point). He went into a Brazilian breeding program geared towards reintroduction in hopes that his genetic material would contribute to carrying on the speices. A Spix's macaw kept in appalling conditions in a Denver suburb and discovered back in Oct. 2002. A male. The bird was sent to Brazil, to Sao Paulo Zoo. At this point in history the Brazilian govt. demanded all Spix's macaws be returned to them. Most breeders and private owners did not comply. Wild caught twenty five years previous and kept in Colorado for more than twenty years. Believed to be shipped from UK in 1979. He arrived in Brazil on Dec. 23, 2002.

Last edited: