• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do they stay at the top?

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
Hey! It's Chantal at Odin's Bird Rescue!
We got a couple of budgies that are in a huge cage! but they only stay on the ladder at the very top. Would it be cruel of me to move the food lower and force them to use more of the cage? I know most birds like the top, but its a waste of space if they are only using 1/4 of the cage :( download (1).png 116375994_10224101688555828_6460722130230396592_n.jpg

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Height equals safety and that's as high as they can get. If they were out they'd be up on the curtain rod or light fixture. With time and familiarity they will begin to use more of the cage but they obviously aren't at that point yet.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Height equals safety and that's as high as they can get. If they were out they'd be up on the curtain rod or light fixture. With time and familiarity they will begin to use more of the cage but they obviously aren't at that point yet.
Exactly. Yes. Straight to the Point.

Odin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
oK, that was my assumption, but I wasn't sure. I don't get many budgies, and these two are going to be staying as sanctuary birds, so I wanted to make sure that I was doing the right thing.
They only had a couple of dowels and the seed cups were full-- of hulled seed!!
I have bought a good brand of seed, and offering pellets and fresh food. They are so cute, OMG!!

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
One of my IRNs wouldn't leave a corner in his cage for over a week as long as we were in the house. They'll move on when they are ready.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
They're probably unfamiliar with the cage at the moment. They need some time to adjust to a new cage. Budgies like to perch up high because that's where they have a better view of everything so they can feel safer.