• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are they so hard to find??

Laura25

Moving in
Here is the page on Pet Finder with African Greys
Birds for Adoption | Petfinder
there are 13 of them.
petfinder is a great source for sure but of the 13, two are wild caught, not pet quality, one is handicapped and not for adoption and several are TAGS not CAGS. So again, very low on actual adoptable CAGS, and unfortunately none of the CAGS available are local for my friend. All she’s been able to find are scams. Breeders are charging through the roof prices knowing how hard it is to find a pet-quality CAG. My friend has given up on getting one and has decided to get an adorable male Eclectus instead. He’s almost weaned and she’s super excited! She can come play with my Greys for her Grey fix! Here are my two... the first is my female, she was completely plucked when I got her ten years ago. The second is my male, he’s also a rescue, a sweet boy. 817E7404-5D19-42FF-B88E-1A84433ABEF6.jpeg

Attachments

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Adorable!

kvee

Checking out the neighborhood
petfinder is a great source for sure but of the 13, two are wild caught, not pet quality, one is handicapped and not for adoption and several are TAGS not CAGS. So again, very low on actual adoptable CAGS, and unfortunately none of the CAGS available are local for my friend.
Also, many of the adoption groups require home visits which isn't possible when they aren't local, and in the current COVID world, is a little worrisome. There's even one out of Georgia that requires you to come volunteer at their sanctuary a number of times, which is also very difficult if they aren't near you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you look at Jcaviaries?

Laura25

Moving in
Also, many of the adoption groups require home visits which isn't possible when they aren't local, and in the current COVID world, is a little worrisome. There's even one out of Georgia that requires you to come volunteer at their sanctuary a number of times, which is also very difficult if they aren't near you.
Good point!

CarbonStar

Moving in
Real Name
Cecilia Barnbaum
Hi. I've been looking for a Grey for awhile--even re-homed--and no luck. Can yodu give me a link to Jean Patterson?

thanks
Cecilia

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Toucan jungle in California occasionally has older rehomes for sale that are near the "old" price.

Sparkles99

Rollerblading along the road
"two are wild caught, not pet quality". A wild caught bird wouldn't be imprinted. I'd think that's better. @Hankmacaw has had wild & captive bred parrots of the same species. She might have some insight.