• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why are they so hard to find??

Laura25

Moving in
Here is the page on Pet Finder with African Greys
Birds for Adoption | Petfinder
there are 13 of them.
petfinder is a great source for sure but of the 13, two are wild caught, not pet quality, one is handicapped and not for adoption and several are TAGS not CAGS. So again, very low on actual adoptable CAGS, and unfortunately none of the CAGS available are local for my friend. All she’s been able to find are scams. Breeders are charging through the roof prices knowing how hard it is to find a pet-quality CAG. My friend has given up on getting one and has decided to get an adorable male Eclectus instead. He’s almost weaned and she’s super excited! She can come play with my Greys for her Grey fix! Here are my two... the first is my female, she was completely plucked when I got her ten years ago. The second is my male, he’s also a rescue, a sweet boy. 817E7404-5D19-42FF-B88E-1A84433ABEF6.jpeg

Attachments

budgieluv3

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bear (It's a nickname)
Adorable!

kvee

Moving in
petfinder is a great source for sure but of the 13, two are wild caught, not pet quality, one is handicapped and not for adoption and several are TAGS not CAGS. So again, very low on actual adoptable CAGS, and unfortunately none of the CAGS available are local for my friend.
Also, many of the adoption groups require home visits which isn't possible when they aren't local, and in the current COVID world, is a little worrisome. There's even one out of Georgia that requires you to come volunteer at their sanctuary a number of times, which is also very difficult if they aren't near you.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Did you look at Jcaviaries?

Laura25

Moving in
Also, many of the adoption groups require home visits which isn't possible when they aren't local, and in the current COVID world, is a little worrisome. There's even one out of Georgia that requires you to come volunteer at their sanctuary a number of times, which is also very difficult if they aren't near you.
Good point!

CarbonStar

Moving in
Real Name
Cecilia Barnbaum
Hi. I've been looking for a Grey for awhile--even re-homed--and no luck. Can yodu give me a link to Jean Patterson?

thanks
Cecilia

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Toucan jungle in California occasionally has older rehomes for sale that are near the "old" price.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
"two are wild caught, not pet quality". A wild caught bird wouldn't be imprinted. I'd think that's better. @Hankmacaw has had wild & captive bred parrots of the same species. She might have some insight.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
We actually looked up prices this year and to say my Jaw hit the floor was an understatement. I was wondering what caused the jump but it is interesting about the Wild caught vs not with being able to reproduce. I personally have always scooped up adoptable birds those fit our budget better. I remember when we purchased a Grey for my Aunt and Uncle 8 years ago and he was $900.
We breed dogs and I have seen puppy prices double bc of the demand of them during lockdown.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I know this thread is old, but...

I lost a CAG to egg binding about 10 years ago. Paid $750 for him as a baby in around 2005.

February 2020, before Covid started, I’m dying for another CAG. Wife is visiting family in Houston (we live in South Florida), so I decide to make the move while she’s away so she can’t say no.

This respected bird store near me had THREE very juvenile CAGs. I never got around to asking the prices, because all three hated my guts anyway. Forget stepping up. I was lucky to get out of there with all 10 fingers still intact.

And then I saw Archie, a 10-month old YNA who not only jumped from his perch to the side of the cage to be closer to me, but cocked his head, lifted his foot, as if to say:

“You can pick me up. I WANT you to!”

$3500, and I had zero intention of getting an Amazon, let alone one of the Hot Three. I was fortunate in that I was flush with money because of a legal settlement. They could have said $10,000, and I would have paid it. I loved, and still love, this bird to death.

The moral of the story is try to not get TOO hung up on species, although everyone is certainly entitled to their favorites. But you just never now. As a side note, my CAG loved me, and although she would tolerate my wife, she couldn’t hold him, and she would walk across the floor to painfully bite her dangling toes while she was taking a nap on the coach. Archie? He adores both her and me.

Here he is with my wife (photo before his yellow came in), doing his “Please pick me up” move that won my heart in the store. 2F628DE0-298B-4CA0-90BB-3F9D6D7DBAD3.jpeg

Last edited:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't see how she can still be on her phone. He's adorable! :xflove:

Reactions: Ira