• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who's been sprouting lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know it's healthy and yummy. I'm trying to get into the habit of doing it more often. How often do you guys sprout?:p

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know it's healthy and yummy. I'm trying to get into the habit of doing it more often. How often do you guys sprout?:p
Not nearly as often as I should :o: I'm trying to do it once a week now.

Oknuma

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Oknuma
I have a glass jar going all the time.. when my current ones get to day 3 I start to soak a new jars worth.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I actually bought 1 pound bag from Pru's breeder and have to soak it tomorow. Any suggestions onhow to do it, Ive never done it before.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im trying to do it more often, but so far only 2xs a week.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I actually bought 1 pound bag from Pru's breeder and have to soak it tomorow. Any suggestions onhow to do it, Ive never done it before.
I suggest purchasing a sprouter. It makes sprouting easy and it will save you alot of aggravation and MONEY. :p

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two sprouters in constant rotation .. fids get sprouts every day.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Sprouts form the basis of Dusty's diet so we have them on the go all the time....one growing one lot being eaten...we usually go through a jar (two tablespoons of dry seed) in 2-3 days which is about the length of time it takes for a lot to be ready to eat.

drop

I usually start a new batch every 2 days, so they have some all the time. I like this sprouter: Germoir avec sac

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yes!!! That's an EXCELLENT one Drop!!:highfive:

drop

I love that one. I used to have a 3 tiered one, that seemed pretty convienant at first but it was a hassle and hard to rinse. What I like about the style of sprouter that I linked to, it is very easy to rinse vigourously.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
True Love Aviary has an awesome video on how to sprout seed and legumes and beans, etc. I want to try it out their style. Once I get paid I'll buy my OWN coffee filters and tubaware containers, so I can sprout my birds their num nums every day!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love that one. I used to have a 3 tiered one, that seemed pretty convienant at first but it was a hassle and hard to rinse. What I like about the style of sprouter that I linked to, it is very easy to rinse vigourously.
I don't understand how it's a hassle.:huh: I have the 3 tiered one. I find it quite easy.

Could you elaborate on how the Germoir avec Sac is better?:) I'm very interested because I've never used it.

Oknuma

Real Name
Oknuma

Do you eat your sprouts too?:p
we do Saemma. I use the sprouts for myself in salads for work lunch daily and for the fids too.

I dont use a sprouter.. waste of money in my mind. I simply use a glass jar and muslin cloth/elastic band in winter and in summer I sprout outside in a pot with news paper.

drop

Saemma, the one I had (I am not sure if it's the same as yours) did not allow for vigourous rinsing. It is this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31c5lzRVWVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg I just did not like it, because it was filled from the top and the water just trickled through the layers (sometimes left the seeds/grains/beans sitting in water), I did not have much luck and lost alot of batches (the seeds would smell bad, and it was not because of the seeds/grains/etc were bad because I always buy fresh from a good source and they sprout great with my other one).

Maybe I was just not using it properly :confused: If yours is similar, what's your trick and how do you like it? I prefer the white and green one because I can rinse the grains/etc out very well while I "water them" and they drain well while sitting. I figured this was why I had so much more success with it.

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma, the one I had (I am not sure if it's the same as yours) did not allow for vigourous rinsing. It is this one http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31c5lzRVWVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg I just did not like it, because it was filled from the top and the water just trickled through the layers (sometimes left the seeds/grains/beans sitting in water), I did not have much luck and lost alot of batches (the seeds would smell bad, and it was not because of the seeds/grains/etc were bad because I always buy fresh from a good source and they sprout great with my other one).
Maybe I was just not using it properly :confused: If yours is similar, what's your trick and how do you like it? I prefer the white and green one because I can rinse the grains/etc out very well while I "water them" and they drain well while sitting. I figured this was why I had so much more success with it.
I understand why you had a bit of a difficult time now.:D

What I do is I rinse well and strain my sprouts in a separate colander.

Rinse the sprouter and then place the sprouts back in.
I have a spray bottle and I simply spray my sprouts a few times with it and then cover and allow to sprout. You had too much water and it wasn't draining properly. You really don't need very much water when sprouting.:D Here are a few photos on the third or 4th page of this thread. Chickpeas and Adzuki beans. Notice that little water is needed. A few spritzes is enough.:hug8:
http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/21471-sprouting-groove-3.html

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not nearly as often as I should :o: I'm trying to do it once a week now.

I'm guilty. Same as Holiday, once a week lately..

drop

Good to know Saemma, I feel dumb now :o: If I find that sprouter again I may give it another go. Thanks.

(But one question, why is it made to be filled from the top? I don't have the manual anywhere close, but I was pretty sure it said to do that :confused:)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.