• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

who has nanday conure(s)...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

applechews

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
I have a sun conure at the moment and thinking of getting a nanday, they have always been a favourite of mine and I originally wanted one more then a sun but there was none available at the time.

I am just wondering who has one or more? (PICS? :) I am really really really wanting to get one but have heard they are TWICE as loud as suns... is this TRUE!? I don't think I could handle something twice as loud as my sun... :(

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I have a nanday conure named Duster. He is about 21 years old now. He is such a funny guy and I love him so much! Yes, he can be very loud, but it is usually when he is alarmed by something. He always lets me know if something is going on outside or something is going on with the other conures. lol I am not sure how he compares to a sun because I have never had one. But either way, to me, he is worth it!

Julsiebean

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Julie
My friend has one, holy COW he is loud. Bird noise doesn't get to me but he makes me :eek: when he really gets going. He joins in and sounds off over everything too, so it isn't just a few times a day. He has to out do the other birds (tiels, budgies and an african grey) and calls to anyone and everyone. It is happy, not attention screaming. So...there is that! I had a jenday for a while and he was way louder, but there comes a point with the loud conures I think either you can handle it or can't. I could, my husband can't. Could you handle two sun conures?

MessyBeaks

Real Name
Leigh
I have one - a 12 year old DNA'd female whose name is Uncle Leo (he had never been DNA'd before he arrived here). It's hard for me to tell whether her behaviours are typical of the species or the result of some pretty severe neglect she suffered before she came into our hands. We call her our alarm bird - she sounds off whenever someone calls or comes to the door or when the dogs are rambunctious. She is jealous and screams when the dogs try to cuddle with me on the couch because she's learned it will make them leave the room. She is VERY snuggly and would velcro herself to me gladly if I let her. I've never had a Sun, but I do have a Jenday. The Jenday's pitch is higher, but the Nanday's is really really GRATING. Neither is really louder than the other, but you will notice that the noise doubles from what you're experiencing now, so you have to prepare for that. She has also taught the Nanday panic scream to my Parrotlet :scared3:

217508_922006535077_72601181_46023764_837933_n.jpg

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I have a NAnday but no sun conure to tell you the difference she can shreek to numb you ear when she is in alarm mode mine follows Rocky her mate in everything include biting she is so happy with Rocky a quaker that makes me happy also:heart::heart:

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
<------- This guy does!

A Nanday was my first parrot I ever had. :) He was truly special to me. It's a long story, but he had a very rough life. Apparently he was mated and never tame, and after his mate passed, he was left in his filthy cage for years before I got him. He was instantly nice to me, which I tend to think was his way of thanking me. He'd fly over to me, preen my neck, and scream in my ear. I didn't like that last part so much.

When he passed from old age, I think a little bit of destiny happened that same week. I had a customer bring in a "caique" they did not want...when I opened the shoe box, a female nanday ( completely black and greasy...yuck! ) crawled out and ran up my arm. She cuddled with me, and when someone tried to get her to step up, she'd bite them!

So, needless to say, I've had her ever since.

They are loud, similar to suns. I've had both....of the two nandays I had, I would say they aren't as high pitched but they are louder. I tried adopting a male nanday to keep with my girl, but I actually had to give him back because his screaming was ridiculous. His pitch was somehow so much worse, and just non stop for 3 days! He was starting to influence the rest of the flock.

Anyhow, I can tell you they are great birds but they are loud. I wouldn't want one in my living room, but in the bird room is fine.

Oh, and they love cold baths.

applechews

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
zeb and messybeaks your nandays are beautiful..!!

from how you describe them though it sounds like they can be a bit louder.. eek!! I really want one but I don't know if I could have the noise... our sun i sin the lounge room atm (we have an open plan house so its loungE room and dining room and kitchen..) and he can be very loud, but he is with us most of the time so its not too bad if we are trying to watch tv etc. maybe i will have to get something quieter like a greencheek.. i am not sure if i could handle two suns or not i assume it would just be double in volume but would it be more frequent..?

unicornlady7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Christa
You could try visiting with a nanday and see if you can handle their calls? that way you could hear for yourself. Or even look one up on youtube? Good luck with your decision!

applechews

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rachel
I can’t really visit any… I don’t know anyone who has one as they are quite rare here, there is also a very small amount of videos on youtube , I only found ONE of a screaming nanday… one!!!!! lols…I want so bad and I have heard the saying if you can handle 1 screaming bird you can handle 2 but I worry because I haven’t experienced it at least I got to hear a sn conure in real lfie before buying mine………… i don’t know what to do! lols

Syme

Sitting on the front steps
I'd agree with everything everyone else has said. Our Nanday is extremely loud, if she screams in your ear your hearing will be muted for a few hours! I don't think videos on youtube could capture how loud they are. I've taken videos of Miko and she sounds *so* much more quiet than in her presence. We live in an apartment and I thank God everyday that our neighbors aren't picky about her noise.

She's a total 'watchdog,' if *anything* is out of place or suspicious to her (suspicious groceries, reflections of light from cars going past (well she's worked on this issue but it used to *really* get her), a sound outside, a weird color -- she'll take it very seriously that it's her job to warn everyone in a 10 mile radius. Our UPS guy dropped off a package and remarked to me the other day that 'we sure do have a good guard dog in that bird there.' :p

She also has a loud excited sound, for example, we were gone all day today and upon returning she greeted us with several minutes of 'OMGOMGOMG YOU'RE HOME!!!!!' screeching. So yeah..know what you're getting into. :)

That said, she's the most cuddly, playful bird I've ever met, I'd say she ranks right up there with cockatoos in her cuddlyness and playfulness. She's very entertaining to watch, sleeps flat on her back every night, and is an all around nut job. And we love every minute of it. :D

One thing, if you live in the U.S., be aware that Nanday's are illegal in Tennessee. They can seize then on site and kill them. I didn't know this when we brought Miko home and our relatives are in TN making holidays...interesting.

Here our some photos of our goober:
12841_227305875029_726270029_4760121_6402349_n.jpg 272216_224092230945203_100000332835176_737972_635287_o.jpg 73158_166648923356201_100000332835176_404380_6224392_n.jpg 265551_224092207611872_100000332835176_737970_4502554_o.jpg

Attachments

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
[QUOTE i assume it would just be double in volume but would it be more frequent..?[/QUOTE]

At least double, & definately more frequent. BUT have you ever read a more glowing comment on loveablness? I have a sun, & think it would be a joy to have a nanday, but if noise is a factor, you might want to wait 'til you're older, & the hearing begins to go.;)

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I'd agree with everything everyone else has said. Our Nanday is extremely loud, if she screams in your ear your hearing will be muted for a few hours! I don't think videos on youtube could capture how loud they are. I've taken videos of Miko and she sounds *so* much more quiet than in her presence. We live in an apartment and I thank God everyday that our neighbors aren't picky about her noise.

She's a total 'watchdog,' if *anything* is out of place or suspicious to her (suspicious groceries, reflections of light from cars going past (well she's worked on this issue but it used to *really* get her), a sound outside, a weird color -- she'll take it very seriously that it's her job to warn everyone in a 10 mile radius. Our UPS guy dropped off a package and remarked to me the other day that 'we sure do have a good guard dog in that bird there.' :p

She also has a loud excited sound, for example, we were gone all day today and upon returning she greeted us with several minutes of 'OMGOMGOMG YOU'RE HOME!!!!!' screeching. So yeah..know what you're getting into. :)

That said, she's the most cuddly, playful bird I've ever met, I'd say she ranks right up there with cockatoos in her cuddlyness and playfulness. She's very entertaining to watch, sleeps flat on her back every night, and is an all around nut job. And we love every minute of it. :D

One thing, if you live in the U.S., be aware that Nanday's are illegal in Tennessee. They can seize then on site and kill them. I didn't know this when we brought Miko home and our relatives are in TN making holidays...interesting.

Here our some photos of our goober:

LOVE the last photo of her 'Yes I'm loud, but oh so loveable'

Zeb

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zeb
I will say that, for me, the nandays have always been reasonably infrequent with screaming. When my girlfriend is in the room ( or anyone else ), it is pretty much non stop. That makes some days very rough.

GinnyK

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ginny

....snip
EXACTLY!!! :highfive:

In terms of the "pitch" to me it is completely different than a Sun Conure. As someone said above its more of a "grating" tone. And those YouTube videos really do not even compare to the live thing lol.
Although difficult for you, I would highly recommend meeting one in person first if you could!!

All that said.....I :heart: mine

CrazyParrotLady

Real Name
Becca
Actually, the screaming Nan on youtube may've been mine. ;) I had a Nan named Trinkets, and I can assure you - their screams are very loud and very constant. It made things pretty tough if I'd been having a bad day. If you suffer from migraines, you might want to re-consider, LOL. But honestly, in comparison to a sun?

I'd rather have the Nan's screem any day. The sun is a little too high-pitched for me. Nans are louder, hands down, but I think I can handle the pitch a little better. That, and their personality makes up for the noise tenfold. Never met a bigger snuggler in my life. Trink used to climb up my arm, snuggle against my neck, and then promptly lay on his side on my shoulder. I don't know how he managed it every time.

Can't ask for a bigger heart. :)

I'd upload pics, but I'm still at sea. :( Trink is in my signature, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.