• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who has Kitchen Kube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow .. bird in a box .. :(

Can't say I'd buy that .. something about it just bugs me. My birds enjoy their snack time with me and the other birdies .. I'd hate to close them up in a box thing, not to mention, I doubt they'd even eat in it, they'd be too upset about being confined.

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
I'm with Merlie, I just don't like the
idea of boxing my birds. I wouldn't use it.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
You see something similar to this being used for sugar gliders. They can fling food! so you can make a little house for them to run in and out of for eating. nope, wouldn't use one for my bird.

Peggy

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I don't have one but Howard would probably like it. He love to put his head in his covered dish and talk while he's eating.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I'm with Merlie and Judy, I don't like the looks of them, and I think my guys would hate being confined that way.

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
I'm with the rest! If you have to keep a bird confined that way to eat, I would say you don't need a bird. They need to be with us and socialize, not sit in a sanitary see through box. Plus we would miss all the fun of cleaning and getting up stuck food.

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
Ive seen several people use something similar to this - it suction cups onto windows or something and its plexi glass but the back is open? I couldnt open the link maybe this is something totally diffrent?

Ok back after being able to open the link ... let me say this and I quote "Air circulation is excellent in the Kube. The top 5" on each corner has a 1/2" x 5" slot, which totals 10" square of open area for more air circulation than any acrylic carrier with drilled holes."

Personally because of my disabilities & such if I had a messy eater I would surely try this. There might take some training to calm the bird to realize whats going on but after that ... i dont see it having an issue with going into a box to contain the mess. Any more then it having an issue with it going into the cage.

You could make this pretty ez if you have a handy man because plexi glass cracks easy under pressure of drilling the vent wholes n such. But any Lowes or Manards, home depot has plexi glass and will cut it usually free of charge. I had to get some cut 1 time to cover the bottom on an old rusted out cage someone gave me .. and the kid cutting even cut the long edge down into squares for me for the foster fid to play with!!!

Last edited:

igors mum

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
deb
sorry somehow i missed the part about the opening on the sides for circulation but i do think it has a front also from what it says.
"However, birdy and the food he flings cannot escape."

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I don't think any of my birds would enjoy that.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
"because plexi glass cracks easy under pressure of drilling the vent wholes n such"

My Dad worked in plastics since the patent came out for plexiglass (40's and retired in 1995 at age 81). The trick to drilling holes is to break the tip off the drill bit so it is a flat surface against the plexiglass. I can't remember if he put a small piece of tape or not. I can check with my brothers if you are interested.

Peggy

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I think it depends on the bird. If the bird is okay with being confined in a small spot, then it wouldn’t be too bad, if birds are not okay with being confined in a small spot, then obviously it isn’t something you would go for. The bird eats, then comes out, no harm done. I do however wonder, if later on down the track, a bird that uses something like this a lot, if they would become a bird that likes being confined in small spots.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Geez...:( Just put some newspaper down if cleaning up is such a big deal. I don't like it.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ella would most likely love something like this.
She love to stick her head into her food dish and talk, talk, talk. She also really likes to be in her own "space" where other birds can't get at her food, so she can enjoy it. The rest of my flock would most likely panic at being confined like that, though. I guess its all up to your bird.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco

Deb, the entire front is open. It has two sides and the back only.

It is not a box :)
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure it's a complete cube, or else how would the food stay inside? That's why it specifies that it has circulation vents in the upper 5 inches of the corners. If it had 2 open sides, it wouldn't need those.

SDavies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
i'd rather wipe up the mess made then clean an entire box
looks like a cookie jar

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
Honestly? I think putting a parrot in one of those is cruel. If you can't handle mess and have to place your parrot in a box then I would say get the ceramic display parrot not a real one. JMO.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would never ever use this.I'm with Carole just put newspapers down.Hiram wouldn't go for anything like this anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.