• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Whizing

Lolliesmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kathryn Henderson
My 14 yr old female eclectus is wheezing I gave her a nice shower and it’s like she has boogers in her nares. I do have a nebulizer can I use this solution? She came to me from a smokers/fireplace home. I’m thinking that’s the culprit. Any advice would be very appreciated DABEEB41-0FC1-4952-A475-FEF95080BC33.jpeg

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wouldn't use it without calling your vet's office to see if it's safe. Personally I think she needs to be seen rather than self treat

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Most avian species don't tolerate albuterol so don't use it call your avian veterinarian please

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If that is human grade solution you would be wise to have a vet figure out the dosage by using avian medications. There is no shortcut here. Dosage is usually based on the birds weight.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wouldn't use it. It could kill your bird. It can & does cause racing heart in adult humans, so imagine what it'll do to a little bird. Call your vet & ask what nebulizer med is safe & at what dose.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There are many reasons she could be wheezing. The best thing to do is take her to the vet for a check up. If she has gook stuck in her nares the vet can clean that out and might need to do a nasal flush.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I wouldn’t risk not taking her to the vet for the wheezing, if just because they’re so good at hiding symptoms from us and wheezing can be caused by so many things. An avian vet can tell you if antibiotics/tests/procedures are necessary.