• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Whitewood lumber?

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
What is Whitewood? Is it bird safe? I'm thinking of using a 2x4x5ish as a center beam and attaching natural perches /branches to make a foraging tree. Whitewood is pretty cheap but I've never heard that name before.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Whitewood is usually from the Tulip Poplar, Liriodendron tulipifera. They grow in my area (outside the city, usually) and have spectacular blooms.
It's a soft-wooded, fast growing tree, which means it might be susceptible to some chewing if your guys are major chewers.

It appears on this list as bird-safe. I'm wondering if anyone here has used it successfully, or can verify its safety.

tziporiah

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
What is Whitewood? Is it bird safe? I'm thinking of using a 2x4x5ish as a center beam and attaching natural perches /branches to make a foraging tree. Whitewood is pretty cheap but I've never heard that name before.
Just wondering, did you make this tree and if so can I see a picture
Thank you

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Whitewood depends on your area of the country/world so they can sell a bunch of different trees under the same sku. Whitewood in my area is pine :) it can also be spruce or fir.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Just wondering, did you make this tree and if so can I see a picture
Thank you
I haven't, but when I make it I'll definitely post it! I'm leaning towards a 4' manzanita tree and a Christmas tree stand. But I haven't made up my mind.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Whitewood depends on your area of the country/world so they can sell a bunch of different trees under the same sku. Whitewood in my area is pine :) it can also be spruce or fir.
Since we're in the same region of the US, I'm sure we get the same thing. I'll have to check with the store.

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Good to know! Thanks for posting this. I hadn't expected that Whitewood (another common name for tulip tree) would have a different meaning in the lumber world - but that makes a lot of sense!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Good to know! Thanks for posting this. I hadn't expected that Whitewood (another common name for tulip tree) would have a different meaning in the lumber world - but that makes a lot of sense!
The only reason I know is because I used to work at Home Depot :lol:

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
The only reason I know is because I used to work at Home Depot :lol:
Uh oh - get ready for some potentially silly questions from me the next time I try to build something and need material help. Emphasis on "try" :D