• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

White Poop and not Eating.

Loweja

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lori Marshall
I've been checking thru the posts and can't find a definitive answer so apologies if this question is repetitive.
My 2 budgies aged around 5 - 7 mths stopped eating their seed yesterday. So I gave them a millet spray this morning of which they ate half. Normally it would be home in a flash. I was told not to give to much to them.
Next, some of their poop is white and I think a tad green under. It's not runny at all. Just small drops.
Next, they are unusually quiet. Not their normal busy chatting playing budgies.
Finally, They seem to be excessively preening themselves.
How can one tell if they have mites and is there a home remedy. Avian vet is way way to far. I'm at a loss, so any help would be appreciated. Apologies for the long post and sorry for being a repetitive question.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Are there any regular vets in your area you can call and ask for references to a vet that sees birds?

It sounds like they might be sick if they stopped eating. It's better that they eat anything (that's safe) than eat nothing at all.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Are there any regular vets in your area you can call and ask for references to a vet that sees birds?

It sounds like they might be sick if they stopped eating. It's better that they eat anything (that's safe) than eat nothing at all.
^^^^^^^^ This
Plus, if there's any cuttlefish bones, mineral blocks, crushed shells or gravel in their cage remove them for now. I know it sounds strange but us poopologists like to see photos of poops. Do you have a camera?
Have any cage bars been damaged by chewing? Any plastic been damaged? A vet will probably ask so have a good look around and note ANYTHING that's changed, even damage to chewable toys or rope perches and the like.
And don't get anxious about it. They'll pick up on that.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I’m curious. Their droppings “aren’t runny at all.”

Are they usually?

All white poo can be a sign of dehydration... I would go to the vet. He can check for mites as well. We would need to see a photo but the vet will be more accurate due to seeing the whole picture.

Loweja

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lori Marshall
Thankyou so much for your replies. I was about to post pics but low and behold,, while changing their seed I noticed movement in it. Weavils. Yip, those little buggers had invaded their seed and seed was a new box. So, off to the shop my daughter goes. A brand new box, no weavils as she checked before she left shop. They are eating now and back to their normal selves. I was in such a stressful state and yes tried not to show it but cried. And keeping seed in fridge and buying from produce place in the future. Ohhhhhhh, the relief I can tell you.
So thanks again all. I have much to learn from you all
Kind Regards Loweja

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vaccuum Sealing will kill them also. Starving them of oxygen also kill off any eggs awaiting to hatch, larve & pupate.