• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

white fronted amazons?

pelican301

Moving in
Real Name
lewis
can anyone tell me what its like to own a speckled amazon? are they loud?(relatively speaking) are they playful or cuddly? there is not a whole lot of information online.

Capt T.

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Oh, wow, I haven't heard mcuh interest in them for a long time. My first parrot was spectacled amazon. He was a great bird, very cuddly and friendly. He used to sit on my ex's hip and watch tv with her, and he went every where with me. He was not loud at all, but I think thats more a function of how the parrot is treated more that any species specific thing. A bored arrot, who is not getting what they need get lloud and frustrated, IMHO.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
err...have you owned any Amazons before?Or medium/large sized birds in general.You sound like a newbie in birds.Suggest you get a tiel'/lovebird/budgie/parrotlet to start with instead of an Amazon or such.They are LOUD.My Amazon lived in the pet store for years (5 yrs at least) and he has picked up some loud noises.And don't forget their screaming.No matter what size,any Amazons can let out an ear-piercing scream despite his quiet nature or him just sitting there,chewing his toys.
You need a big damn cage(aviary be best),lots of safe toys,home-cooked food(You will cook,of course and avocados are toxic ps) and pellets,attention,dedication and understand that at the end of the day,he simply might not accept you into his flock despite you (probably) being the only one at home.You have long work hours?Need to go to school and return back home until the late afternoon/evening?Forget about having a bird.You don't need to interact with them for 3 hrs a day (You obviously can I mean that's what I did) but you should be home for 3hrs per day(at least least least) to just be able to be watched by your new master and you do still need 1hr of interaction.
Amazons tend to like short(by short I mean 10-15min sessions),multiple interactions instead of long ones,are quite independent (in my case) and are messy.Did I mention the poop and beak of destruction?Also,they bite,like every other bird out there.Hard.You will bleed.And just a quick note it took me months to get my Amazon,Puffy,used to me as well.Don't have high expectations.Also provide fresh fruits and vegetables in their cage/aviary.Change them every hour to prevent spoilage and don't forget to give em' some flight space.Dn't overcrowd their cage with toys because they can't move properly.Get some foraging toys.
And that's just being general.Each bird has their OWN mind and thoughts like you,the newfound 'slave' for your 'master' and that's how we do it.You gotta be crazy for your bird.We can't just take them away from their natural habitat only to become decor in our homes.Also clean the cage bottom twice (once also can) a day and whole cage cleaning weekly.
Don't forget to rotate the toys and you can make your own toys as well!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Then again, some of us jump in with both feet.

I knew nothing about birds at all until we rescued two wild caught blue front Amazons. Both of them are DNA males. We're doing quite well many years later.

In my opinion, birds aren't pets. They are family.

I personally would love to see a speckled Amazon. Remember that each parrot is an individual. It's hard to say what they are or will be. I would think that any bird will probably make noise. My amazons aren't cuddly but MC loves skritches through the day. Secret? Just at particular times.

Have you met the bird in question?

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
My BFA Angel is very cuddly and loves to be on me every chance he gets. Head scritches and having me Preen his pin feathers are his favorites! He also rolls over on his back so I can scritch under his chin. I wanted to see just how long he'd actually sit in my lap getting scritches but after me doing this for an entire movie he was still fluffed up twice his regular size and had no intention of going anywhere! He's always the first one each morning to make a mad dash over to greet me and climb aboard. He's quite content to lay on his back in the crook of my arm and be carried around the house like a new baby! He is not a screamer. Angel says Come Here a LOT though! At night I spend about an hour in the aviary room hand feeding each baby bed snacks and getting them settled down for the night. As soon as I walk in with a little bowl Angel starts making a whimpering sound. He knows the day is over and soon I'll be shutting out the lights. But he never wants the party to end! So every night he does the same routine where he pretends his feet are broken and can't sit on his perch so I have to keep holding him. He litteraly will roll off the perch knowing full well I will catch him and he'll get a bit more time with me. Angel is definitely the happy clown of the family!

I got my first birdie around 1967 and have had them ever since but I have never had a character like Angel!!!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
err...have you owned any Amazons before?Or medium/large sized birds in general.You sound like a newbie in birds.Suggest you get a tiel'/lovebird/budgie/parrotlet to start with instead of an Amazon or such.
This is horribly unfair to a cockatiel, budgie or parrotlet. Small birds can be just as complex and in need of care as a large bird. They deserve better than being someone's practice bird. Unless you really want a tiel, budgie or parrotlet, will respect and love one in its own right, and will not treat it as a learning experience or discard it once you get your Amazon, you must NOT get a small bird.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
All birds need the same attention, regardless of their size. It irritates me when people suggest that to others they feel aren't ready for the bird of their dreams. The same time, interaction, food and cleaning are the same. I have two BFA, one from a hoarder and one with no background. I lost a YNA from a hoarder after 2 years of trying to help him medically. My 2 BFA are totally different. One, Howard, will not get off us, he needs to be on someone when we are home. Billy was cage bound for years. Last month he came out for the first time. His doors open all the time he can come out when he's ready. Volunteer if possible but don't group all Amazons as the same, their not. Noise whys, all birds can be loud,you expect that when you add one to your family. Educate yourself on Amazons, volunteer if possible and look into adoption. Many people work, go to school, ect and have birds in their family and provide all the love and attention to them. Don't get a small bird to fill in the void until you feel you are ready for a larger one. A lot of the smaller birds get re-homed because of that advice.

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
This is horribly unfair to a cockatiel, budgie or parrotlet. Small birds can be just as complex and in need of care as a large bird. They deserve better than being someone's practice bird. Unless you really want a tiel, budgie or parrotlet, will respect and love one in its own right, and will not treat it as a learning experience or discard it once you get your Amazon, you must NOT get a small bird.
My point is that when it comes to expenses on cage,food and toys,they will often be cheaper and on noise levels too.They also won't bite that hard,so that also makes them a better bird for new bird owners than bigger ones.If he already has he heart set on a Amazon,then do it.But if he is still unsure,I'd say get a smaller one first and yes,because of the unchanged need of attention he can kind of imagine what a bigger bird would be like,the destruction she could make,the amount of cleaning needed to do and the beak and screams.
Conures might be the only exception I know of to be both small but has the care level of a medium/big bired when you come to compare their similiarities.In my experience with owning cockatiels,budgies and a lorikeet and comparing them to my U2 and YCA,I found them much easier to care for.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I personally don’t feel there is any difference between the time, expense, experience needed etc for my birds and I have both ends of the scale....little tiny budgies and a B&G Macaw.

My little birds tend to waste a lot more bird food than my big bird so I actually find I spend more money on my little ones specific bird foods (seed and pellets) than I do for my large bird. Of course the wild birds are happy about the waste because I throw it all outside for them to pick through.

I find that I spend the same amount of time cleaning cages, walls and floors, preparing foods, making toys, worrying, interacting, researching and learning for both the small birds and for my larger bird.

My large bird can make enough noise to actually hurt my ears if he’s on my shoulder when he belts out a yell but this sort of noise is not constant.
I can take a phone call with him in the room but I have to be in a different room to my budgies if I want to use the phone....they chatter all day long and very rarely are quiet and their constant chatter can actually get quite loud at times too.

My budgies will bite as hard as they can if I have to hold them for any reason but my Macaw will give lots of warnings and to date has not actually tried to hurt me.

Each bird has its own particular behaviours and needs and each person is looking for something particular when they want to bring a bird into their family. Bringing the smaller birds in to your life when you really want a larger bird is not going to teach you how to deal with a larger bird and vice versa. EACH BIRD IS AN INDIVIDUAL!!!

I am also a believer that if you desire a particular animal and get that very animal then you will do the very best you can for that animal....if you get a substitute animal you won’t do as well for it as you would if it was your dream animal.

Anyway the topic was not about what kind of bird the OP should get so back to the topic.......
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a speckled or white fronted amazon and I am only familiar with the double yellow headed amazon who gave me the best bird bite I’ve ever had for being an idiot and putting my finger in his home without being invited.
Omg he was beautiful with his tail spread out wide and his eyes pinning madly while he taught me to mind my manners lol.

@lewis horne, I wish you luck with your journey to find your feathered friend of your dreams :)

PufF

Real Name
Sam Chan
Oh well,right.At the end of the day the bird will choose you...And for my part,Umbrella and Puffy had an abusive history and my budgies hardly make any loud noise (maybe bc I only had 2 ) and I forgot how loud my tiels' were.Lorikeets chatter but not regularly.
Conclusion:I hope OP finds his feathered friend later in life!