• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Which bird should I get?

Keetie!

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Joanne
I can't answer the question of what sort of bird to get - I'm very fond of my guys, but they don't sound like what you're looking for - but I do have a suggestion.

Before you decide on any bird, read this forum for a month, just click on the "what's new" button and read all the threads that seem interesting. The threads about people celebrating their 1 year or 5 year or 25 year "Gotcha" dates. The ones about the funny, silly things their birds have been doing that enrich their lives. The ones from people frustrated because their bird won't interact with them the way all the birds they see on social media do. The people who are shaken and bleeding from attacks by birds that they've known and cared for for years. The people who are devastated because they made one little mistake - left a door open a moment too long, used a pan they didn't even know was teflon, bought a toy that the bird loved - and now they have a bird that's injured or dead.

I'm not saying this as a long way to say don't get a bird. Mine are flying laps in the cage behind me (I don't have my camera on, but they make a funny little noise when they're flying) and they've enriched my life immensely. But of all the animals we take into our homes, I'd say birds are among the hardest to integrate into our lives.
After losing my beloved budgie...I decided on a six month window before I would bring another lovely (different species) into my Household. I am playing catch up from the enormous vet bills!

Elizabethh

Meeting neighbors
Calypso update? More pics?? I think it’s a rule with new birds, you gotta post like half a billion new birdy pics. Right? Ok well not really but just pretend it’s a thing.
Ok, so he is settling in quite nicely. I'm currently teaching him to come to my hand and step up because I don't think the previous owners really taught him anything. I also noticed that he does like to bite and I think he's is trying to protect his cage. If I don't stick my hand in his face though, he is fine, so I just put the treat a little farther away so he has to come to me and doesn't feel like I'm invading his territory. When I wake up in the morning and say his name he hears me and runs out to me. Here are some more photos of him :) IMG_4591 (1).jpeg 64179031503__EF90A403-8400-4F39-9799-1879775E6CB6.jpeg IMG_4587.jpg

Elizabethh

Meeting neighbors
He’s so gorgeous, glad to hear u adopted!! I can’t wait to see his setup!
Thank you! I'll make another thread about his setup and asking some questions about the things he has inside. When we first got him he had a mirror in his cage but I took that out since I know they can think that it's their mate and get frustrated.

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Wow. Saw this in your thumbnail and all I could think was "wait, is that Essie?!?"

He's a beauty and other than the crest being about a year ahead of her, would be a dead ringer. Her's is about half flushed out, and still a little spotty with the juvenile deep maroon.

Have you weighed him yet?

(and congrats on the little guy :) )

Elizabethh

Meeting neighbors
Wow. Saw this in your thumbnail and all I could think was "wait, is that Essie?!?"

He's a beauty and other than the crest being about a year ahead of her, would be a dead ringer. Her's is about half flushed out, and still a little spotty with the juvenile deep maroon.

Have you weighed him yet?

(and congrats on the little guy :) )
No, I haven't weighed him, but should I? I didn't know that was something you're supposed to do.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Routinely weighing your bird is a good health check. Sudden or unexpected weight loss can be an early sign of health problems. This can be a valuable warning, because birds are notoriously good at masking illnesses until they are quite advanced.

Knowing your bird's baseline weight is also important if you plan on changing his diet. That way, you will know if he is eating enough of the new food to maintain body condition.

Lastly, weighing baby birds or young birds is very useful because it helps keep track of their overall nutritional status. Baby birds should be growing rapidly. Weigh loss is a very bad sign in a baby. In a weaning bird, it can be used to monitor the transition to adult foods. Your bird is probably finished growing, bit figured I would mention baby birds, since an accurate scale is a very important tool for hand-feeding. Keep in mind it is normal for birds to lose some weight when they are fledging (learning to fly). They usually gain the weight back as they develop flight muscles.

A small scale with a t-stand is an easy way to weigh a tame bird that knows how to step-up. This is a good skill to work on while your bird is healthy, like going in and out of a travel cage or accepting yummy liquids from a syringe. Then if your bird is ever sick, it will not be scared to be weighed or given oral medicines.

Last edited:
Reactions: tka

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
No, I haven't weighed him, but should I? I didn't know that was something you're supposed to do.
Supposed to? No.

As Destiny pointed out, it's a good idea, and can give you handy info, but not something you have to do.

I was curious how big your little guy had gotten, and weight is the easiest way to gauge his size. Essie weighs in every morning as a part of her wake up routine (routines do help). She's been running pretty consistently around 55g . . . But she's still young, yet. I'm curious to compare her with another Roseifrons a year farther down the road.