• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to store bird seed?

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
refrigerator or freezer?

I bought some birdseed to give some to my lovebirds (not their main diet). Hearing stuff from people where moths and bugs can hatch out of those seeds, I decided to put them in the refrigerator. I haven't had any bugs yet since they're new. Then I also heard it can make the bug problem worse if you leave it in the refrigerator.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The freezer for a few days is normally one of the best methods but not always a perfect solution.
I personally would freeze it for up to a week then store it in an airtight container...... if any bugs do hatch hopefully you’ll spot them before they infest your house.

Last edited:

JoJo&Loki

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kelly
Since lovebirds are small you probably don’t want to just leave it out as it may take awhile to get through the bag. I have 2 budgies so I normally keep my seed bags in our downstairs fridge which is actually set so high it’s almost a freezer ( if I put a gallon of milk down there it has a few ice chips in it when I take it out). Before putting the bag in the fridge though I take out enough for about a week and put in air tight container. I use several different seed mixes so I have a few containers with just enough for the week for all of them. Also since they eat pellets, sprouts etc there’s really not a lot in the containers! I don’t take food directly from the fridge and serve as I read on here that can cause crop issues.

That’s just what I do personally, I’m sure others will know the reasons why keeping in fridge vs freezer is better.

hope that helps!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Freezer if longer then a week refrigerator for just a week's worth. All my food is stored air tight containers.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I freeze most bird food when it comes in (exceptions of nutriberries), then I fill a mason jar and keep the rest in the freezer. I would prefer to avoid dealing with seed moths!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I put all new seed in the freezer. Leave for at least a week before taking it out and filling mason jars.
I fill my large glass jar with half the bag of pellets and freeze the other half for later.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I actually never thought of freezing bird seed. We just had a really bad infestation of pantry moths in our kitchen. They didn't get into the bird room thank god, but I think I'll start freezing their food, so thanks for bringing this up! The advice I got regarding dry goods and pantry moths is that 1 week is enough to kill off the larvae.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Freezing the seed does NOT kill the bugs/larvae. All it does is put them into a dormant state until it warms up again.

Heat is the only thing that kills them. Cooking the seed will destroy its nutritional value so that isn't an option.

I just keep it in an airtight container in a cool place and only take out what's needed.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Freezing the seed does NOT kill the bugs/larvae. All it does is put them into a dormant state until it warms up again.

Heat is the only thing that kills them. Cooking the seed will destroy its nutritional value so that isn't an option.

I just keep it in an airtight container in a cool place and only take out what's needed.
Ah thanks for the correction! The pantry moths are absolute buggers, and because I bake I have a lot of dry goods and they got into EVERYTHING, so I just chucked them out rather than freezing. I'll probably invest in a properly sealed tub just to be sure. At the moment I have just a normal plastic tub for their seed.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vacuum Seal in Mason Jars & put in a cold dry place. The problem w/ fridge & freezers is dampness can get into the seeds & ... Vacuum sealing does kill them based on the reading I've done.

Reactions: tjc

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I use Mason jars.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
refrigerator or freezer?

I bought some birdseed to give some to my lovebirds (not their main diet). Hearing stuff from people where moths and bugs can hatch out of those seeds, I decided to put them in the refrigerator. I haven't had any bugs yet since they're new. Then I also heard it can make the bug problem worse if you leave it in the refrigerator.
Neither... Doesn't work. Get a good quality container that seals tight, and store in cool place, take what you need seal it back up.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No that is not true. They are not immortal mutants. :alien: ?
It kills most bugs if you place it in -20º C, (or colder) for more then 7 days, but to also kills larvae they recommend 14 days.

And I never store seed in a fridge. The fridge is high humidity, and seeds should be stored in a dark and dry place.
Seed in a fridge can mold. So the freezer is much better. The freezer has dry air.

When you take seeds from the freeze to room temperature it can build condense, so have the pot/bag open for at least one day to reduce all moisture.

Cooking the seed will destroy its nutritional value so that isn't an option.
No it will not. It will reduce, but it will not destroy all nutritional value. And some vitamins can handle heat well and some are only getting better from heat.
And 30 seconds over 60º C, don't kill much of anything. (but will kill bugs)
But always use less water, and use the water to something else (like sauce or soup, or over your parrots pellets) and don't throw it away.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I freeze all bird food that I get. I have had an outbreak of moths and they are a pain to get rid of. I freeze for a week or more and then defrost in an open bag or container for 24 hours to prevent moisture and mold. Since I started that, there have been no more bugs. All seed, pellets, cookable or sproutable all get frozen when they get home. Not gonna risk it

MagicalFeather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tyler
Alright, thanks for the tips, etc. They're in the freezer by now. I only have a handful of seeds in a small zipper bag since I combine them with pellets once a week. So far no bugs. Could possibly be it's getting cold where I am at.

Shelli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly
We bought a large bag of seed that was on sale and the majority is sitting in our freezer. I keep a small container of it in the refrigerator.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I store seed in an airtight container. Been fine.

If there is a moth issue, then I just put in freezer for at least 24-48 hours and no further issues. That's usually enough to kill eggs and larvae. Extra protein for the birds! ;) (although if a container is heavily infested, I'll toss it instead)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
(although if a container is heavily infested, I'll toss it instead)
I also freeze if it's infected. Bugs are not bad food at all.
If it's heavily infected I also freeze but feeding the outside birds with it.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also freeze if it's infected. Bugs are not bad food at all.
If it's heavily infected I also freeze but feeding the outside birds with it.
Your right for the birds the bugs are protein! Very good tasting protein!!!

But for us... :barf: