• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When will I be ready for a galah?

sweet960

Meeting neighbors
(sorry if my English is bad. Not my mothertongue)
I’ve been wanting a not-so-small parrot for years now, and my favourite have always been a galah. Next year I’m gonna move out, so I could get one if I wanted to.
I did a TON of research, including watching a nearby trainer’s masterclasses.
However, my experience with cockatoos are limited. I did birdsit two macaws now and then, had some budgies a while ago, and I got to chill once or twice with my friend’s umbrella cockatoo.
I really prefered the U2 to the macaws, and maybe the individual ‘too was a calm one, but the tantrum was not so ‘unbearable’
I did meet a galah once, and he was just what I wanted from a bird.

I am only going to own one bird from now on, so I’m not going to get a easier bird and then move up.

So... from budgies and then a cockatoo... Is this too bad?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Some of our members first or only birds were / are cockatoos or macaws.

If you are devoted and willing to learn then you should get the bird you desire. Galahs are one of the easier cockatoos so probably a good choice if you are concerned about them being a bit loud and full on.

Just remember that the galah you met is not the galah you will have and is not how all galahs will be. I know people with galahs that are bitey, shifty monsters who scream non stop and I know some with galahs who are quiet, friendly and very very sweet- they are as individual as we humans are.

The only birds I had really been around for the better part of over 20 years were chooks as I had stopped keeping or caring for parrots just after I had my first child. Over 20 years later and I again really wanted to bring a parrot into my life so I got my dream bird and brought home a macaw...... I could not be happier with my decision, it was the best day of my life (other than having my kids lol). I have no issues with my bird as I see absolutely everything my bird does as perfectly normal and acceptable behavior because I love him more than I can even put into words- I think if I had of been told I had to have a different bird and that bird did as much damage to all (and I literally mean everything) of my belongings as my macaw has I would be very fed up by now and wanting to rehome the bird. Get the bird you want!!

If the Galah is what you really want and your heart is set on it then there is no point getting a different bird as you will not be invested as much as you will need to be to put up with the moods, damage, work load, expenses, noise, mess, stress and everything else that comes with caring for these wonderful fluff butts.

EDIT: your English is perfect by the way ;)

sweet960

Meeting neighbors
Some of our members first or only birds were / are cockatoos or macaws.

If you are devoted and willing to learn then you should get the bird you desire. Galahs are one of the easier cockatoos so probably a good choice if you are concerned about them being a bit loud and full on.

Just remember that the galah you met is not the galah you will have and is not how all galahs will be. I know people with galahs that are bitey, shifty monsters who scream non stop and I know some with galahs who are quiet, friendly and very very sweet- they are as individual as we humans are.

The only birds I had really been around for the better part of over 20 years were chooks as I had stopped keeping or caring for parrots just after I had my first child. Over 20 years later and I again really wanted to bring a parrot into my life so I got my dream bird and brought home a macaw...... I could not be happier with my decision, it was the best day of my life (other than having my kids lol). I have no issues with my bird as I see absolutely everything my bird does as perfectly normal and acceptable behavior because I love him more than I can even put into words- I think if I had of been told I had to have a different bird and that bird did as much damage to all (and I literally mean everything) of my belongings as my macaw has I would be very fed up by now and wanting to rehome the bird. Get the bird you want!!

If the Galah is what you really want and your heart is set on it then there is no point getting a different bird as you will not be invested as much as you will need to be to put up with the moods, damage, work load, expenses, noise, mess, stress and everything else that comes with caring for these wonderful fluff butts.

EDIT: your English is perfect by the way ;)
Thanks so much for answering my questions!
I just have one more. From what I’ve learned, Galah cockatoos commonly suffer from fatty liver disease. Can this be prevented by flying him/her at an auditorium? (There is a lot of predatory birds where I live, plus the cold weather, so outdoor freeflying is not a good idea)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A lot health issues like fatty liver disease can be because of poor diet and also lack of exercise. The auditorium is a wonderful idea if you are allowed or can organize regular access to one. I was unable to find anywhere that would let me fly my bird indoors as their were issues with insurance coverage or concerns about him chewing things etc- I am still asking around and looking though.

What are you planning to feed your bird? This may be a good thing for you to research well in advance so you feel prepared and comfortable about your knowledge and decisions regarding diet.

sweet960

Meeting neighbors
A lot health issues like fatty liver disease can be because of poor diet and also lack of exercise. The auditorium is a wonderful idea if you are allowed or can organize regular access to one. I was unable to find anywhere that would let me fly my bird indoors as their were issues with insurance coverage or concerns about him chewing things etc- I am still asking around and looking though.

What are you planning to feed your bird? This may be a good thing for you to research well in advance so you feel prepared and comfortable about your knowledge and decisions regarding diet.
I plan to feed him/her a mix of pellets and fresh veggies/fruits as staple and some nuts and birdy bread as treats. Umm I know someone who said I could borrow the place now and then, but I don’t think she realizes how much damage a beak can cause. now I feel guilty...lol

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Since Galahs have a small beak for their body size, they tend to be light chewers. That's not true of all, but Rhubarb has to be significantly motivated to chew anything harder than cork. The only times she chews her pine toys is when there's a nut embedded in it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
(sorry if my English is bad. Not my mothertongue)
I’ve been wanting a not-so-small parrot for years now, and my favourite have always been a galah. Next year I’m gonna move out, so I could get one if I wanted to.
I did a TON of research, including watching a nearby trainer’s masterclasses.
However, my experience with cockatoos are limited. I did birdsit two macaws now and then, had some budgies a while ago, and I got to chill once or twice with my friend’s umbrella cockatoo.
I really prefered the U2 to the macaws, and maybe the individual ‘too was a calm one, but the tantrum was not so ‘unbearable’
I did meet a galah once, and he was just what I wanted from a bird.

I am only going to own one bird from now on, so I’m not going to get a easier bird and then move up.

So... from budgies and then a cockatoo... Is this too bad?
Well answer this honestly to yourself. Are you ready to have a child? Seriously.

Cockatoos (among others) take as much time, effort, space and money to care for as any child. This handicapped child will never grow up, never get a job and never move out for the rest of "your" natural life. Oh by the way, this child will never grow past the age of 3. It has severe A.D.D./ hyperactivity and walks around with pliers. If you're ready for that then you might be ready for a cockatoo.

You will never be ready for a cockatoo. It's like jumping out of an airplane. You can't have the experience until you actually jump out of the plane.

Last edited:

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Well answer this honestly to yourself. Are you ready to have a child? Seriously.

Cockatoos (among others) take as much time, effort, space and money to care for as any child. This child will never grow up, never get a job and never move out for the rest of "your" natural life. Oh by the way, this child will never grow past the age of 3. It has severe A.D.D./ hyperactivity and walks around with pliers. If you're ready for that then you might be ready for a cockatoo.

You will never be ready for a cockatoo. It's like jumping out of an airplane. You can't have the experience until you actually jump out of the plane.
That is the best way of putting getting a large bird... EVER :roflmao:

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Since Galahs have a small beak for their body size, they tend to be light chewers. That's not true of all, but Rhubarb has to be significantly motivated to chew anything harder than cork. The only times she chews her pine toys is when there's a nut embedded in it.
Agreed on the chewing part. I have Momo with us only for a week, but she’s not that big of a chewer unlike my ringneck. She plays with wooden toys for couple of minutes only, will try to encourage it though :D

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
When you get a Galah, one of the most consistent characteristics is pushiness. They want to be right up front and center and be the boss of everyone. You will need to establish clear, consist boundaries early on when you have an RB2. In our case, we didn't want Rhubarb running up an arm to sit on the shoulder. She was way too interested in trying to remove jewelry, glasses, blemishes, moles and even earlobes. So when she was very young, we had her stand on our hand and put our thumb up. She had a hard time moving around the thumb. When she did get past it and try to climb up an arm, we would pick her up with the other hand and put her back on the outside of the thumb. She got lots of face pets and positive reinforcement when she was in our hand or wrist. The only time she was allowed on a shoulder was when we picked her up, said "shoulder" and put her there for a short while. I don't think she's ever been on a shoulder more than 5 minutes in her entire life, since we only really used it to transport her when our hands were full (before she figued out how to fly to her night cage or tree gym all on her own). She also never receives face stitches while on our shoulder so she never wants to go there any more. Problem solved before it was ever a problem!

Rhubarb also knows to stay away from the curtain rods and book cases. Training in this involved a foam "pool noodle" which only made it's snake-like appearance when she was in those places. (We would set one where she could only see it after landing in the no-no location). If she got used to the noodle just sitting there, we would take one end and make it "slither" a bit while loudly pretending to be defending her from danger. She learned pretty quick they those yummy curtains and tempting bookcases were snake-infested places of pure terror and now avoids them.

sweet960

Meeting neighbors
When you get a Galah, one of the most consistent characteristics is pushiness. They want to be right up front and center and be the boss of everyone. You will need to establish clear, consist boundaries early on when you have an RB2. In our case, we didn't want Rhubarb running up an arm to sit on the shoulder. She was way too interested in trying to remove jewelry, glasses, blemishes, moles and even earlobes. So when she was very young, we had her stand on our hand and put our thumb up. She had a hard time moving around the thumb. When she did get past it and try to climb up an arm, we would pick her up with the other hand and put her back on the outside of the thumb. She got lots of face pets and positive reinforcement when she was in our hand or wrist. The only time she was allowed on a shoulder was when we picked her up, said "shoulder" and put her there for a short while. I don't think she's ever been on a shoulder more than 5 minutes in her entire life, since we only really used it to transport her when our hands were full (before she figued out how to fly to her night cage or tree gym all on her own). She also never receives face stitches while on our shoulder so she never wants to go there any more. Problem solved before it was ever a problem!

Rhubarb also knows to stay away from the curtain rods and book cases. Training in this involved a foam "pool noodle" which only made it's snake-like appearance when she was in those places. (We would set one where she could only see it after landing in the no-no location). If she got used to the noodle just sitting there, we would take one end and make it "slither" a bit while loudly pretending to be defending her from danger. She learned pretty quick they those yummy curtains and tempting bookcases were snake-infested places of pure terror and now avoids them.
Thanks a lot for giving me details of life with a RB2.
I just imagined a galah thinking the bookcase is infested with snakes and that may be one of the cutest things I’ll get to picture

Last edited:

sweet960

Meeting neighbors

Cockatoos (among others) take as much time, effort, space and money to care for as any child. This handicapped child will never grow up, never get a job and never move out for the rest of "your" natural life. Oh by the way, this child will never grow past the age of 3. It has severe A.D.D./ hyperactivity and walks around with pliers. If you're ready for that then you might be ready for a cockatoo.

I see. Hmm... a child with pilers... that makes things clearer for me. And I think what you said about never being ready enough is so true. I had rats and budgies before, and however much planning amd research you do, you kind of have to learn along the way. Right?
Well it’s not gonna stop me from preparing as much as I can for my (hopefully) future bird!

sweet960

Meeting neighbors
When you say ‘light chewers” you mean, like, when compared to macaws or U2s, right?
I knew that their beak is not as powerful as other birds their size, but you know. Non-birders sometimes think beaks are just for chirping LOL and plus I realized the auditorium has cork-like insulation on its sides...oops...

Last edited:

sweet960

Meeting neighbors
Agreed on the chewing part. I have Momo with us only for a week, but she’s not that big of a chewer unlike my ringneck. She plays with wooden toys for couple of minutes only, will try to encourage it though :D
Thanks for telling me!
Btw, such a cute name! Is Momo named after peach? Cuz momo means peach in Japanese?

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
When you say ‘light chewers” you mean, like, when compared to macaws or U2s, right?
I knew that their beak is not as powerful as other birds their size, but you know. Non-birders sometimes think beaks are just for chirping LOL and plus I realized the auditorium has cork-like insulation on its sides...oops...
Good question! I mean for their weight as medium cockatoos. Our D2 and RB2 are within 20 grams of one another around 315g. (That's roughly 20 standard size paperclips for folks in the USA... She's usually the lighter of the two and they are both within normal weights for their species.) But their beaks are very different in size and bite power. Her "nips" from a smaller beak sting and can draw blood if she gets a chunk out, which doesn't often happen. His bites ache and almost always cause significant bleeding, large brusises and sometimes nerve crush injury.