• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When to pet?

Tiana13

Moving in
Real Name
Tiana Fairbrother
When did you guys know to scratch your cockatoo for the first time? Lynx seems to be pretty fluffy and calm in front of me, which makes me think he is almost ready for pets. But he also will sometimes go to bite me when my hand gets to close. I don't want to move to fast for him nor do I wanna get trapped and him lure me in only to get me lol. I know biting is part of cockatoo ownership but I'd still rather avoid it lol. The closest I've gotten to touching him is I felt his crest when it was out which he didn't mind. He's about 30 years old guessed, his previous owner was great to him for a year, but before that he was abused in the terrible world parrot refuge incident on Vancouver Island.

Attachments

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He is a handsome guy!
That being said...he has a lot of baggage with him.
Give him time to unpack...let him show the way!
'Toos are excellent teachers to us humans...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
What's his name ...we have to welcome here to the Avenue properly! :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Lynx! :D2

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hello and Welcome! Pet is a no no anywhere behind their head. Head scritches are all that you may want to do with any Too. But touching, stroking towards their back on down to tail feathers sends them another message that is behavior you do not want to stimulate.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness- you have one of the WPR birds. My heart still goes out to all those birds and the amazing people that rescued them. @Danita has WPR birds also.

Does he step up for you yet? So with my 'too, I usually put my hand out with my fingers curled, wiggle them a bit and ask if he wants scratches. If he does, he puts his head down. If the doesn't, I don't scratch him. So you can try something like that to see if he knows what scratches are? And move slowly when you do reach towards him. A sudden movement can definitely result in a nip. It takes a little while to figure out how to read a cockatoo but once you do, they are usually pretty easy to read.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...there is a fine art to reading cockatoo body language... as @sunnysmom said!
They are great teachers, like I said...all you have to do is keep your eyes...and you mind open to a new experience!

Tiana13

Moving in
Real Name
Tiana Fairbrother
Oh my goodness- you have one of the WPR birds. My heart still goes out to all those birds and the amazing people that rescued them. @Danita has WPR birds also.

Does he step up for you yet? So with my 'too, I usually put my hand out with my fingers curled, wiggle them a bit and ask if he wants scratches. If he does, he puts his head down. If the doesn't, I don't scratch him. So you can try something like that to see if he knows what scratches are? And move slowly when you do reach towards him. A sudden movement can definitely result in a nip. It takes a little while to figure out how to read a cockatoo but once you do, they are usually pretty easy to read.
Thank you! It's just been a few days so he hasn't stepped up or anything, we just let him play on his cage all day and I'll talk to him, dance, it's fun getting him to yell a bit :p That's definitely the trick is learning all of their individual body language!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you! It's just been a few days so he hasn't stepped up or anything, we just let him play on his cage all day and I'll talk to him, dance, it's fun getting him to yell a bit :p That's definitely the trick is learning all of their individual body language!
I think I might try hand feeding him a treat before I progress to petting. That helps him to see that hands bring good things.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
:thumbsup:
...see, Lynx is already got you in training.
Milton da Too would be proud!:umbrella2: