• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do medium sized birds start showing their personality?

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I'm new to the forum and am a bit desperate for some input. We just brought home our 10 week old hand fed Rose Breasted from the breeder Saturday. My concern is that she doesn't seem to have any interest in us what-so-ever (nor her toys). I've done so much reading on how loving, curious and playful they are (as has been my experience with Goffins and other baby birds). She's pretty content and sits on her perch preening or sleeping. She doesn't startle easily at all. I've been supplementing with hand-feeding while she adjusts to our home. Does she just need more time to get accustomed to her new environment? Is she just very young and not grown into her personality yet? Please let me know your experiences. I'm so sad to think that she may never want to interact with us. When did your baby birds start showing their true personalities? Thank you!!

thekarens

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Karen
I'd say you've got two things going on, one, she's new to your home and two, she's still very much a baby. When we brought our mac home at 14 months it probably took a good month for her personality to really fully come out.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Congrats on the new baby! I would venture to say that she is just new and needs time to adjust. Birds really are individuals and perhaps she is a very laid back bird. Even hand reared birds need to get to know and trust you so give it some time. In the meantime, work on trust and allowing her to explore new things at her own pace. Find out what she likes and be the person that she gets that from. Find out her favorite treat and offer her some each day or a few times a day. Pretty soon she will associate you with the treats. Next, lure her to step up on your hand before giving the treat. Teach her that you are friendly and she can get good things from you.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Thanks for the suggestions!! I feel a bit better. I've been saving all nuts in her dried fruit/nut mix to use as treats but so far she doesn't show interest in any foods except for the hand-feeding formula. I've only see her peck at her pellets once. I'm also giving her an assortment of fruits and veggies every day, a bit of dried organic cereal and her pellets and pellet mush. She's supposed to have been weaned but perhaps she back-slid with the stress of the new environment.

birdle

Rollerblading along the road
maybe if you try to eat the food in front of her (or pretend) then drop it in her bowl she might go and taste it and get her appetite back

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thanks for the suggestions!! I feel a bit better. I've been saving all nuts in her dried fruit/nut mix to use as treats but so far she doesn't show interest in any foods except for the hand-feeding formula. I've only see her peck at her pellets once. I'm also giving her an assortment of fruits and veggies every day, a bit of dried organic cereal and her pellets and pellet mush. She's supposed to have been weaned but perhaps she back-slid with the stress of the new environment.
Are you able to monitor her weight? If she is only eating the handfeeding formula then that is of concern.

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I have pretended to eat her foods, but I could probably do it more often. I've been weighing her each morning to make sure she isn't losing weight.

Aequa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Caity
I've heard regressing is common for larger birds initially. As for her personality, my friend's Quaker has been with her for nearly 4 or 5 months and she is only just starting to show personality. I think it's just from being a baby and a bit shy!

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes patience's is the key, walk by her cage talking in a soft low voice, go about your daily routine so she gets used to that, she will settle in at her own pace-patience's & congrats :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Also make sure to control any anxiety you may be feeling when around her. Birds are very good at picking up on our stress and it can make them more subdued and anxious themselves.
You have a lot of fun ahead of you. Relax and be patient. Congratulations! :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
10 weeks is really young for an RB2. We brought our most recent one home at 16 weeks and that seemed almost too young but she was indeed weaned and eating solid foods. We didn't even need to give her any soft foods. I would keep giving her formula if she's accepting it and make sure that she always has pellets and fresh food available to her. You've only had her for such a short time that I wouldn't worry too much about her interacting with you. Is this your first bird? Each bird can be so very, very different. If you don't already have a scale that can weigh in grams, I would get one. You can buy a postal scale or a food scale at Walmart. You want to monitor her weight at this age and just keep an eye on her. I would also make a vet appointment for her to make sure that everything checks out with her and she's healthy. Other than that, try to relax and sit back and enjoy!:) Pictures of her to share with all of us are always welcome!:)

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
10 weeks is really young for an RB2. We brought our most recent one home at 16 weeks and that seemed almost too young but she was indeed weaned and eating solid foods. We didn't even need to give her any soft foods. I would keep giving her formula if she's accepting it and make sure that she always has pellets and fresh food available to her. You've only had her for such a short time that I wouldn't worry too much about her interacting with you. Is this your first bird? Each bird can be so very, very different. If you don't already have a scale that can weigh in grams, I would get one. You can buy a postal scale or a food scale at Walmart. You want to monitor her weight at this age and just keep an eye on her. I would also make a vet appointment for her to make sure that everything checks out with her and she's healthy. Other than that, try to relax and sit back and enjoy!:) Pictures of her to share with all of us are always welcome!:)
Thanks everyone! I'll try not to take it personally when she wants nothing to do with me unless I have the syringe. :meh: I've been weighing her and she's been making small gains daily. Once we had her home I suspected that 10 weeks was pretty young and started to look online where I found that 12-14 weeks is more the norm for weaning (but of course each bird is different). I've had other birds, small to medium sized, but I've been out of the birds world for about 12 years. I just didn't remember any of them not being cuddly or looking for head skritches from the beginning (but perhaps they weren't as young as she is either). She's eating 3 hand-feedings a day right now (usually from 10-20 cc's each). She also has fresh fruits and veggies throughout the day, organic cereal, pellets and pellet mush. Over the last few days her first big toy migrated from the counter to the outside of the cage and then inside and last night for the first time she started shredding it!!! I was SO excited. I attached a picture of it! I spend lots of time near her, talking to her and whistling and we do 5 or so quick "up" lessons throughout the day.

Attachments

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
she's gorgeous!
it took a few weeks before my rb2 adjusted to my place, and he was already 1 when i got him.
also beware what you wish for, now my galah chews everything.... :banghead:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
What a beautiful bird. :heart: :heart: I also agree that 10 weeks was probably a little early and that she is not weaned yet. When I got Bella, she at first wanted nothing to do with me and I got her at 7 weeks. It took a lot of patience and time. First she only wanted her cage, which was too big for her. The she would perch near me wanted to be close but not sure about me. About 3 weeks later, she started climbing onto my shoulder and now at 8 months old, she thinks that she owns me. :) Just keep doing what you are doing and keep the pictures coming.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yep, I agree with everyone else's assessment...it sounds like you're doing everything right and she'll eventually come around. She is absolutely gorgeous. Congrats on the toy playing! Isn't it exciting when they finally start playing!:)

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Thanks! We think she's adorable too! :xflove: Last night she nibbled a bit on a piece of shredded carrot and this morning she ate a bit of a piece of Kashi cereal!! Ah, the little victories. I was SO excited! She doesn't want to be on me unless it's on my shoulder, which is a "no no" in our house. So this morning she hung out on the kitchen counter while I put her bowl of fruits and veggies together and she hung out and did great! Head skritches are not appreciated yet though.

I'll post more pics when I can. I made a newbie mistake and didn't wipe the formula off her face the first time I hand-fed her because she seemed pretty stressed. After all these years I forgot it hardens like concrete. :sour: So, for now, I've been gently misting the both of us to show her what great fun a bath is in hopes that it loosens up Any other suggestions??

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Nothing like cement formula in those feathers! I'd keep misting...it will eventually come off!:)

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Nothing like cement formula in those feathers! I'd keep misting...it will eventually come off!:)
HA HA!! Right!!
Ok, thanks. After each feeding I also get a little warm water on my hands and gently rub her feathers. It works good, but for some reason she does not like it at all!

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
As far as toys go I can make a few suggestions. My galah loves rubbery/chewy toys, leather strips, jingly/jangly type chains, links or bells. She will frequently grab a toy and shake it or get mad at it while playing. Always experiment and certain preferences will emerge. For mine, most of her toys are on the smaller parrot size scale, like cockatiel or budgie toys. Actually, I feel they have more in common with these birds than the name "cockatoo" would suggest. Yours is beautiful and the colors look so vibrant. They can be erratic in personality but also sweet birds. Mine dances to a cell phone ring tone and in general takes a huge interest in electronic gadgets that make noises. They love interaction and trick training as well - they are adorably curious. Good luck!

Last edited:

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
As far as toys go I can make a few suggestions. My galah loves rubbery/chewy toys, leather strips, jingly/jangly type chains, links or bells. She will frequently grab a toy and shake it or get mad at it while playing. Always experiment and certain preferences will emerge. For mine, most of her toys are on the smaller parrot size scale, like cockatiel or budgie toys. Actually, I feel they have more in common with these birds than the name "cockatoo" would suggest. Yours is beautiful and the colors look so vibrant. They can be erratic in personality but also sweet birds. Mine dances to a cell phone ring tone and in general takes a huge interest in electronic gadgets that make noises. They love interaction and trick training as well - they are adorably curious. Good luck!
Thanks! I actually do have a Conure sized toy in with her right now. Mainly because I wanted something she could try to destroy right away (since she's so young).