• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Wheezing

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
My green cheek conure Lucas did a wheezing sound today something he hasn’t done before I gave him a little bit of water and it went away but I am still worried , he doesn’t have any discharge and breaths fine so far but that got me so worried please help I am scare I love baby bird and I don’t want to lose him .

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Just keep an eye on him, it could be an isolated thing, my birds wheeze sometimes, especially after bathing, and sometimes from preening,,if it continues then get him checked .. :hug8:

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Just keep an eye on him, it could be an isolated thing, my birds wheeze sometimes, especially after bathing, and sometimes from preening,,if it continues then get him checked .. :hug8:
Thanks a lot I will take him to the vet soon for a cheek up

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
How long have you had your bird? You might look into other causes inside your home that could cause this as well. Smokers in the house? Do you use aerosol products, burn candles, essential oil diffusers, teflon pans for cooking? There are so many factors that can contribute to the health of sensitive lungs of one tiny creature. Where do you keep him in the home... what do you use in the bottom of the cage to catch the mess? It's never a good idea to wait to have them looked at by an avian vet, they hide illness very well and being so small can go downhill quickly. What do you feed your bird, wash your watercups out thoroughly every day?

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
He is barely 1 and I feed him pellets from zupreeme . No we don’t smoke and I r don’t use candles or any aerosol when he is near by . Yeah I know is the first time he has done that . He doesn’t seem like he is sick he eats normal poops normal . We always keep his food clean and we clean them everyday . We use newspaper to catch his poops

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He is barely 1 and I feed him pellets from zupreeme . No we don’t smoke and I r don’t use candles or any aerosol when he is near by . Yeah I know is the first time he has done that . He doesn’t seem like he is sick he eats normal poops normal . We always keep his food clean and we clean them everyday . We use newspaper to catch his poops
If the wheezing persists you'll need to have him looked at. If you can catch him doing it with a video that would be helpful for us to see. When you say you don't use candles or aerosol when he is near by, that to me says you do use those items in your home. You really can't use them at all when you have a bird in the house. Sorry...

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I set up an appointment for him for next Monday keep him in your prayers i love my little bird

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I set up an appointment for him for next Monday keep him in your prayers i love my little bird
I'm glad to hear you did set an appointment. Is this an avian vet? Is he still wheezing? He may not have a problem but it's good for you to have him seen as a precaution as well as a baseline for his current health status to keep him a healthy bird and with you for many years to come. :)

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Yes thanks , is an animal clinic but the vet that is going to see him I believe is an avian vet . No not as much only a little bit at night but he hasn’t had any abnormal discharge and he only did it while eating his food .

Attachments

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes thanks , is an animal clinic but the vet that is going to see him I believe is an avian vet . No not as much only a little bit at night but he hasn’t had any abnormal discharge and he only did it while eating his food .
You should verify if the vet is a certified avian veterinarian. It doesn't hurt to call and ask if they are and or if they have vast knowledge of birds if they aren't certified. You don't want to waste your time or money if they can't give a thorough exam with tests and willy-nilly put your bird on antibiotics that may not either be needed or the correct antibiotic if he does have a specific problem. So, you've only heard your conure make this noise just the one time while eating and you haven't heard it again? If he does, it would be helpful if you can capture it on video if you can.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
When you go to the vet, ask him specifically if your bird could have Aspergillosis.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This information is more specific to birds.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
My little one scared me today I can’t wait to take him on Monday to his vet , he did the same thing again today and it was a little bit scary I didn’t had time to recorded him .

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Was it the same or much worse? Prepare a sheet with any questions you want to ask the vet so you don't forget. Also, give the vet as much information as you can ( as in all the answers to the questions I asked you) -since you've used aerosols in your home tell the vet this, what kind and where you've sprayed it) Temp or your home, where you keep him, exactly what you feed him. The more information you can give the better they can understand how to go about his examination. Don't be vague about anything. How long does he do that wheezing?

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I think it was about the same but a little bit scarier we took him out of his cage and try to calm him down it was less than a minute and it was while he was eating his food so I thought he was going to choked but he didn’t thanks God . Yes I am writing everything down . Unfortunately my cousin sprayed some spray in the restroom and he was out of his cage as soon as I saw that he did that I close the door so I don’t know if it happened because of that . Right now my little bird is eating , and chirping , and aware and everything is back to normal.