• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What's your Green Cheek like? And was Wes the "normal" Green Cheek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Westley was sweet, cuddly, crazy and bratty. He almost never stopped going, he'd run around everywhere, get into trouble all the time. He was such a wild boy. He was always on the go, you always had to be watching him 24/7 when he was out of his cage. He had absolutely no fear and followed us around. If one of us walked out of the room, we could be certain that we'd have a Green cheek at our heels. While he loved to cuddle, if he wasn't cuddling he had to be eating or being crazy. He was always looking for trouble. He wasn't nippy so much, but he could be downright aggressive. If I (or anyone else) did something he didn't like, ex: ask him to step up when he didn't want to, he'd attack my hand. He wouldn't just give a small warning bite, he'd chomp down, twist the skin with his beak and chew, then repeat. You don't know how many cuts, bruises and gouges I got from him. He could be super cute and sweet though and was oh so cuddly and friendly, he loved everyone. He scared me so many times, we were so careful, but he had a lot of "close calls". Are all Green Cheeks this high maintenance and this crazy? Kelsey wants another bird sometime (not right now), and we were thinking another Green Cheek (though not a Turquoise). I couldn't handle a bird like Wes, he was just so much work and so accident prone. I don't even want to think about all the times he almost got himself hurt one way or another.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Though not a Green Cheek, my Pyrrhura is similar (though not aggressive). He is always go-go-go. Always has to have something in his beak to chew on and wants what he wants now. Bratty, yes. Impatient, yes. Crazy, yes. Super sweet and friendly, yes. Except perhaps for the aggression (though that could have just been excessive frustration when he didn't get his way), Westley sounds like he was a typical zany firecracker conure. :hug8:

I know of people that have more laid-back Pyrrhura conures, but I think they're the exception.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Though not a Green Cheek, my Pyrrhura is similar (though not aggressive). He is always go-go-go. Always has to have something in his beak to chew on and wants what he wants now. Bratty, yes. Impatient, yes. Crazy, yes. Super sweet and friendly, yes. Except perhaps for the aggression (though that could have just been excessive frustration when he didn't get his way), Westley sounds like he was a typical zany firecracker conure. :hug8:

I know of people that have more laid-back Pyrrhura conures, but I think they're the exception.
I loved my crazy little boy, but I couldn't have a bird like him right now. He was such a handful. After losing Wes, I don't need the new bird to always be giving me heart attacks. Yeah..his aggression really surprised me, because he could be so sweet, but he had a really short temper. And our hands suffered from it. Not to mention, he was so young. You wouldn't expect a bird so young to be so mean sometimes. *sigh* I miss him a lot, even if he was a bit bratty. :( At least I haven't cried as much today as I did previous days.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Conures aren't the right birds for everyone. Lior is the perfect bird for me, but that crazy conure personality just works really well with my own personality and energy. We mesh well and understand each other.

On the other hand, I love my cockatiels, but they're not the right birds for my personality, so I understand what it's like to share your life with a species you love but isn't your perfect match. All the same, I know the hole in your heart must be huge right now. Pyrrhura personalities are larger than life and they demand SO much of your attention and give so much love back.. :(

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
My Paika is full of beans. He will get into everything. He is a magnet bird and very loyal. He is a little nippy but not in an aggressive way, just very mouthy. I compare them to a 4 year old with ADD that just ate a huge bowl of candy

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Conures aren't the right birds for everyone. Lior is the perfect bird for me, but that crazy conure personality just works really well with my own personality and energy. We mesh well and understand each other.

On the other hand, I love my cockatiels, but they're not the right birds for my personality, so I understand what it's like to share your life with a species you love but isn't your perfect match. All the same, I know the hole in your heart must be huge right now. Pyrrhura personalities are larger than life and they demand SO much of your attention and give so much love back.. :(
Yeah. I loved Wes so much. But there were things about him that were amazing and some things I could have done without. I loved how he could be so sweet. He was a funny guy who loved life and everyone. He loved to cuddle up in my hair or in my hands. He was so trusting and loved to lay on his back. He loved having his tummy kissed. He was always so happy to see us. I once went upstairs when he was with Kelsey downstairs, he hopped up every step to come find me. He loved to play and was so much fun. Wes was friendly and didn't play favorites, he loved my dad, my sister Kelsey and me. He didn't mind my mom, but she never paid any attention to him. He was silly and made us laugh and was just so cute, lovable and amazing. I mean, there are so many good things I could say about him. He was just the most affectionate, loyal, cutest, sweetest, friendliest bird I've ever had the pleasure to meet. I didn't know how cuddly a bird could be until I met him and it makes me want to have that again. He was intelligent and was picking up fast on the tricks we were teaching him. He was soft and kissable. When he did something good, he'd look so proud of himself. He was my baby and he knew it.

But...there were times were I wished he'd calm down a bit and just chill on my shoulder. (especially if I was working). I spoiled him, so he unfortunately never wanted to be just playing on the stand, he wanted to play with me or Kelsey. I also wish he hadn't been so dead set on trouble. Like I said he has absolutely no fear of anything and always wanted to hop away and get into whatever trouble he could reach. He was the most troublesome bird. There were times were I wished he could be more like Afie, just content to be with us or relaxing on her stand and not go out seeking trouble. Maybe someday I'll get another bird like him, but I couldn't stand having a bird who gets in so much trouble. One minute he could be sitting somewhere. You turn away for 10 seconds and he's gone and he's somewhere else getting into trouble. *sigh* My heart could not handle the new bird having some kind of accident. Also I wish he hadn't been so aggressive at times.

Ugh, this was unbelievably hard to write this. I hadn't to stop a few times because just writing this is making me cry.

Last edited:

jlan79

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julia
This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss :(:(:(

Would you mind sharing what happened?

In terms of personality, my Googie is very similar in being very active, curious, etc. She can be nippy (especially if she's on my had and I'm trying to get her off). She's never malicious though and doesn't really bit hard. I guess all Green Cheeks share these similar traits (at least from what I've read).

RIP little Wes :(

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
This is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss :(:(:(

Would you mind sharing what happened?

In terms of personality, my Googie is very similar in being very active, curious, etc. She can be nippy (especially if she's on my had and I'm trying to get her off). She's never malicious though and doesn't really bit hard. I guess all Green Cheeks share these similar traits (at least from what I've read).

RIP little Wes :(
Oh, Wes could be vicious. :( He would chomp and twist my skin just because he was angry. I think there were times were he was trying to hurt me as much as his little beak could.

On Monday Evening, Westley was downstairs, in the kitchen, on our counter eating. My dad was in the room, but it wasn't like he was staring at him every second. I looked at Westley and saw he was eating on the counter. I went upstairs for a minute to get something. While I was upstairs, Westley must have flown to the stairs. He was probably looking for me. When I was coming down the stairs, I of course thought he was still on the counter. I accidentally stepped on him. I hadn't stepped all the way, when I was putting m foot down I heard a squeak. So I quickly picked up my foot before I had set it down all the way, but it was enough. Birds are so fragile. I quickly picked him up, but he died in my hands within seconds. :sad10:It was so sudden I couldn't believe it happened.

Last edited:

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
I've only had Aristotle for a week, so things may change? But so far he is quite sweet and calm. When he's in his cage he gets crAzy hyper and cracks me up with his antics. He's yet to bite any one. He will hang out on his cage or play gym and play, eat, or just study us - hence his name.. he has made this aweful time more bearable for us. When I told my friend about Loki she of course was sad for me, but said "he's had it out for himself for a while, hasn't he?" She is completely right. The cat grabbed him by the primaries a month after I got him, 2 months later the cat scratched him through 1/2" bar spacing, a month later he hit the fan with his beak, and 2 weeks after that he got out of the house and we found him! We had a check list: locate cat - put him outside, make sure fans are off, close bathroom and bedroom doors, make sure curtains are drawn, and front (solid) door is closed. But still, fate gets her way and he runs into the same fan because my hubby wanted to say goodnight... My friends gcc is sweet and bratty, though. He wants scritches and cuddles, but when he is done...he bites..! Lol! He wants them to entertain him, but only on HIS terms. I think I know how you feel. I loved my Loki, he was an awesome parrotlet. Some day I may get another, but NOT the same color...too weird for me. And it will be a long time. Both me and my husband need to move on and be comfortable with the idea.

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We wouldn't know what to do without Jazzy in our lives. She loves to nuzzle under my chin, her way of cuddling. She will screech nonstop when I walk into the kitchen out of her sight, probably screaming for a bath under the running faucet. When you walk into the room she will bob her head up and down as if to say, let me out, I want to be with you! She is a very busy little girl. Don't anyone shoot me for this, but I hear complaints of aggression more so in the males than the females. Thats just my opinion. I fostered a male that was so extremely aggressive that I had to return him to the bird sanctuary. He'd fly to me, land on my shoulder and nail me with everything he had in him. He'd sink his beak into my neck and dig deeper and deeper, not letting go. He'd keep chomping harder and you could not get him off or to let go. I bare the scars from him. He was in multiple homes due to his aggression. He had severe problems. My Jazzy is a little bossy brat as well. When it comes time to put her in her cage, she'll want to nip you as if to say, no, I don't have to! lol. On the third try, she usually steps right up. She has never inflicted a bad bite on me. I've always called her my adhd bird, but for me, it's fun to watch. I get great joy by watching her destroy toys for entertainment, jumping all around. Due to her always getting into trouble, which she is a pro at, we made the decision to clip her wings. She began to get lots of behavior problems by being flighted. "Personally" I think this can be a good thing for gc's due to their bossy nature. Once again, this is only my personal opinion. I know everyone thinks different when letting a bird be flighted. Each bird is different, just like we humans, and it was the best decision for our baby girl. Jazzy is a gutsy little girl, yet she is shy with strangers coming in the home or of a new toy for approx. three days, then when she realizes it won't eat her, she's ready to tear up that toy. I designed my own bird gym for her to exert her energy on and she would live on it 24/7 if we'd let her. You definitely have to keep them entertained. I'm so sorry for your loss of Wes, accidents do happen and you didn't step on him purposely so please don't beat yourself up. As someone else said, conures aren't for everyone. Speaking of cockatiels, they are not the bird for me either, I prefer one that is active, loves toys, loves to be on everyone, and one that there is never dull moment with, to make me laugh. It sounds like you would do better with a cockatiel or something more laid back. As with any bird being out though, you have to keep a constant eye on them just like a little child. Any bird can get hurt, not just conures. Personally, I think all birds are high maintinence, the cleaning, the cost, the care, always keeping a watchful eye and such. I wouldnt' give jazzy up for anything in the whole world. Life would never be the same without her in it, thats for certain.

jlan79

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julia
Oh, Wes could be vicious. :( He would chomp and twist my skin just because he was angry. I think there were times were he was trying to hurt me as much as his little beak could.

On Monday Evening, Westley was downstairs, in the kitchen, on our counter eating. My dad was in the room, but it wasn't like he was staring at him every second. I looked at Westley and saw he was eating on the counter. I went upstairs for a minute to get something. While I was upstairs, Westley must have flown to the stairs. He was probably looking for me. When I was coming down the stairs, I of course thought he was still on the counter. I accidentally stepped on him. I hadn't stepped all the way, when I was putting m foot down I heard a squeak. So I quickly picked up my foot before I had set it down all the way, but it was enough. Birds are so fragile. I quickly picked him up, but he died in my hands within seconds. :sad10:It was so sudden I couldn't believe it happened.

Omg, I'm so sorry. I actually thought about how easy it would be to step on Googie when she's down on the floor. I had her on her playstand in the living room a few times and I went into the kitchen, and then 5 min later she would come up behind me. Thank god I saw her, but I remember thinking how I could have easily stepped on her. I will try to be super vigilant from now on, never leave her unattended. I am hoping that once her flight feathers grow out she will fly a lot more than walk to get around. Thankfully we don't have many other hazards, like ceiling fans.

Sparky04

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
Omg, I'm so sorry. I actually thought about how easy it would be to step on Googie when she's down on the floor. I had her on her playstand in the living room a few times and I went into the kitchen, and then 5 min later she would come up behind me. Thank god I saw her, but I remember thinking how I could have easily stepped on her. I will try to be super vigilant from now on, never leave her unattended. I am hoping that once her flight feathers grow out she will fly a lot more than walk to get around. Thankfully we don't have many other hazards, like ceiling fans.
Westley loved to be on the floor, especially the kitchen floor, he also did what Google would do, chase after me if I left the room. Everyone in the house would always watch their step in the kitchen, but he only went on the stairs twice (including the time he died). I figured if he did fly off the counter, he'd fly to my dad. He loved my dad and my dad was right there. Not to mention, he loved eating and usually wouldn't interrupt his eating. So I didn't even think he might be on the stairs. :(

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
One evening while in the kitchen cooking dinner, I turned around to find jazzy waddling across the floor to me. The first thing that went through my mind was, "OMG, I could have stepped on her!" It's a good thing I noticed her quickly, she flew off her gym to get to me. When she was flighted she'd fly and chase everyone through the house. It was a case of, "wait for me, I'm coming too." But, it's not just conures, any bird will want to follow or find the one they love.;)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I have a friend whose gcc would fly into the fridge when she opened it up. She always had to check for him before opening and closing fridge. Same conure would stand between bird friendly dog and food bowl and jump into the dogs water bowl to take a bath.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll post about Nala when I get home from work :).

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
So sorry to hear of your loss; any bird can get into trouble in a moment's notice. Connie usually, thankfully doesn't go down on the floor very much. Ollie on the other hand is always fluttering down to the floor and sometime he doesn't want to step up; but I make him.

I think, generally speaking, GCCs have a fiesty disposition. Connie can be as sweet as pie, but she has her moments. I not longer give he kisses on the beak because she has unpredictably suddenly bitten my lips. If she doesn't want to step up, she will nip; she wants everything on her terms. It seems to me that all parrots will nip though at one time or another. Even medium sized parrots can quickly get into trouble. I don't like to leave them unattended out of their cages in a room, but sometimes you just need to run off for something. . .

If you have apprehensions about another GCC, you might want to investigate other species; take your time. IF I were to add another bird to our flock, I wouldn't at all hesitate to get another GCC. They have such endearing personalities. Connie, is by far, our most cuddly parrot. If you wanted another type conure, I love our Blue Crown Conure Sammy. He's the best at entertaining himself and not being too needy. If you want to try something different, I have heard that the Pionus is very mello--though not cuddly from what I understand--they have a reputation for not biting.

:hug8:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
Well my GCC was very nippy when I got him at 5 months old! Bit me the first couple of months, but stepped up like a trooper every time!! He never was hyper, can be loud, and rarely nips now. When he does nip it isn't hard just kind of a warning nip. He is a cling on for sure, but does not get into trouble too often, he is very cautious. Now my Sennie hybrid! He sounds like Westley!!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Beni was my first gcc and his other half, the second one on board, was Loki. Beni can be nippy, curious, lovable, pushy, aggressive (as in your face to both people and other birds) but I love him dearly and wouldn't give him up for anything in the world. He'll lie on his back and roll over for me, he talks, lifts both wings when you "tickle-tickle" him under one. But he can be nippy specially when he first comes out of his shared cage for the morning poop over paper. My eldest son dislikes him intensely because Beni has bitten him; his bites usually don't break the skin but I have been bitten when I've stopped a fight between Beni and someone else. He will take on his own kids as well as any of the Quakers without a second thought. If you have anything to eat or drink in your hand, on your lap or on the coffee table BEWARE! Beni will not only find it but consider it his - hot, cold, good or bad for him. Soda makes his head shake, crushed ice gives him a beak freeze and he'll try to bathe in a glass of white wine - if you let him!

Loki on the other hand, is much more laid back and a little shyer all around. She talks a little but has never really taken to tricks very much. She hardly ever bites (usually when being towelled for nail trimming) and will come and sit on your shoulder if she sees you're eating or drinking something. She doesn't just jump in though and will wait until you offer her some of what you have. Now that we're settling in to the new house, she's started flying to me in the kitchen and just hanging out on my shoulder specially if I'm at the sink and she wants a fresh bath.

They have two kids, Buddy & Holly. Buddy has taken after his mom and is shyer but not really aggressive. Holly has taken after her dad and is curious about everything. The bird food in/or on anyone else's cage, bowl, playstand or cage top is guaranteed to be better than anything in their own cage/bowl/playstand or cage top. These two are little monkeys though and will hang upside down from the fan chain by one foot or anything else and will chew anything they can find. The two of them together with Beni could probably strip all the buttons off a keyboard in no time at all if given the chance. :D

lalagimp

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kayla
Koi is ornery. jak is chillax.

Are there any rescues in teh area that you can foster with instead of getting into another commitment?

Status
Not open for further replies.